Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
    We're not comparing NU to Harvard here, or MIT, or Brown, or Yale. The point is it's a good school. It's 2012, not 1970 when it was a commuter school that every kid picked as a safety school. To say you can't get a quality education at NU, BU or BC (and BU and NU are equal except one gives you job experience and an actual campus) is horribly false.

You have every right to be mad but what you said was ridiculous.
    I would disagree that BU and NU are equal. BU is far superior academically to Northeastern. As a matter of fact, I dont think its even close.

And again, my point is any student athlete who knowingly chooses Northeastern or UVM over Brown is not really a student who ultimately cares about his academics. He may go on to a long and stories NHL career, but either way, having a Brown degree on his wall means a heckuva lot more than an NU one.
    Last edited by Onion Man; 07-27-2012, 06:32 AM.
    Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
      I would disagree that BU and NU are equal. BU is far superior academically to Northeastern. As a matter of fact, I dont think its even close.

And again, my point is any student athlete who knowingly chooses Northeastern or UVM over Brown is not really a student who ultimately cares about his academics. He may go on to a long and stories NHL career, but either way, having a Brown degree on his wall means a heckuva lot more than an NU one.
      For undergrad it's about equal. For grad school, BU has separation. You seem stuck in the past. NU's academics are miles ahead of what they were when it was a commuter engineering school.

It's not that hard to get into BU, they let in 58 percent of applicants. BU was ranked #53, NU #62. That's an irrelevant undergrad difference. Not that rankings mean ****. You go to a school that suits your needs most.

My point is you seem to be getting over the loss of Roy by pumping yourself up about going to Brown and crapping on other school's academics. Doubt I'd see anyone in the Yale thread doing the same to people who went to Brown. It's understandable but I have plenty of friends at Harvard and MIT to listen to if I want to hear about people getting a better education than me. But they would never imply that if you don't go to a Top 10 school, you are getting a crappy education.

Going from an Ivy to a still elite school doesn't mean you don't care about academics at all, that's poor logic.
      Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
      Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

And again, my point is any student athlete who knowingly chooses Northeastern or UVM over Brown is not really a student who ultimately cares about his academics.
        And again, as others have pointed out, you can't conclude logically conclude that his decision to bypass Brown for another school means he doesn't care about academics. At best, it might mean he doesn't care about getting the best possible education, but it doesn't mean he doesn't care about education at all. At this point in his life, with him having a very good shot at playing in the NHL, I think I'd be a little more focused on the hockey side of life too, as opposed to the education side. If he can attend a premiere hockey school and get a quality education at the same time, well I'd probably do the same thing.

Look, I don't think anyone disputes that one gets a world-class education at Brown, or that Brown is academically superior to UVM or NU. But I don't think it's fair to conclude that this kid care nothing about academics.

Comment

Look, if you're going to make definitive statements like this, you could at least have your facts straight. Fact: Boston University is No. 53 on the USNWR rankings; Northeastern is No. 62. A spread of nine places in a list of some 300 institutions just doesn't square with your statement that "I don't think it's even close." And your statement about any athlete who attends Northeastern or UVM doesn't care about academics is patently absurd. I can't speak for Boston University or UVM or anyplace else but I can tell you for a fact that Northeastern athletes are expected to attend class and pass their coursework on the same basis as anyone else. (And no, Northeastern doesn't offer courses like Advanced Driver Education and Underwater Basketweaving.) At the end of the day, Northeastern athletes graduate with degrees that allow them to both succeed professionally and contribute to society.

And as has been pointed out by several posters, nobody, but nobody, is trying to equate Northeastern with Brown academically so get off that kick. Like I said earlier, I sympathize with the Brown fan base for what happened with the Roys, what with NU having gone through something similar last year. But irresponsible and factually baseless posts like yours try my patience.
          Last edited by Split-N; 07-27-2012, 09:47 AM.
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
            Look, I don't think anyone disputes that one gets a world-class education at Brown, or that Brown is academically superior to UVM or NU. But I don't think it's fair to conclude that this kid care nothing about academics.
            IMHO correct on this point. If the kid really did not care about an education don't you think he would be jumping to the Quebec MJHL??? I am wondering how much he may have been influenced by other players at the NHL training camp he went to???

Roy - I'm going to Brown.

Other kid - Are you nuts?? Why play for a last place team in a crappy league when you could be going to a great hockey school like {Insert any HE or NACH or Big10 school name} and get a good education, maybe play for a NC$$ National Championship and better prepare yourself for the NHL.

Roy - Hmmmm. May be I should rethink the Brown thing.

As Roy so aptly put it " Stuff happened".
            Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
            And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
            If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

After reading his comments, you have to wonder what he is thinking.
              If Northeastern is his destination, what is he thinking?
              NU will have a tougher schedule but they do not exactly fill NHL rosters.
              I can see him going to a hockey powerhouse, but is there one available?
              JMO, but I don't see any advantage in going from Brown to Northeastern.
              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              Benjamin Franklin
              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
              Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                After reading his comments, you have to wonder what he is thinking.
                If Northeastern is his destination, what is he thinking?
                NU will have a tougher schedule but they do not exactly fill NHL rosters.
                I can see him going to a hockey powerhouse, but is there one available?
                Well, he was originally recruited by Keefe. But HEA > ECAC is what it comes down to.
                Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

If this recruit happens to go to a school you will be playing, are you going to boo him whenever he touches the puck?

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                    Well I've often said this about Bentley, and I've spent a good chunk of time watching both the Falcons and your very Bears over the years. [...] Like you say, hopefully this does something to light a fire under Brown's derriere. Brown might not be a great D1 program, and the records surely indicate otherwise over the past 5-7 years. There have been some very low, very lean years. But it's still your program, and you still take pride in it. So maybe you were the 11th seed or 12th seed, but you still have a puncher's chance (like that time the team went to Albany by beating RPI and Yale). I don't think a player decommitting (with all of these details) nearly has as large an effect on them as it does on you as fans, since the coaching staff's job is to keep the players mindset on the game and not on the papers. But, like I said, they have to focus, like we do, on the players who are there, not the ones who aren't.

The players currently there are the ones who will dedicate and sacrifice for the honor of wearing a Brown jersey. And in the end, maybe this whole thing when a guy decides he doesn't want to go, will be a binding tool that brings the team together as one. It's truly an honor to represent any institution, and if a player does some type of disrespect to the program, then it's on the coaches to look at the players and say, "WE are Brown University, and WE will defend this jersey." [...]

I'm willing to bet Brendan Whittet has played the no respect card more than once.........like when Keith Allain gets mad about losing and refuses to shake the opposing coach's hand (haha!)
                    Terrific post, Humanoid. Thanks for your support!

Comment

This comparing education stuff is crazy, all of the schools mentioned in the thread are quality institutions. I'm proud of my Brown degree as well, but we all know the further you go along in your career it is all about what you have done......and what you can offer, not the name of a school on a sheet of paper.

The line that got a rise out of me in this thread was the thought that he was leaving for "better coaching" (among other things). Obviously a Jerry York is at the top of his profession, (many argue that Parker is past his prime) - but supporters at Brown would stack Brendan up against anyone in the country.

I don't wish that the Roy rot in hell, but there could be a big impact on the program as a whole with this one high profile player leaving the program. I had anticipated with the excitement around this player, we would initially see an increased interest from alums and the students at the early games this season. If winning were to follow, and Meehan was a packed house again - everyone knows that the whole experience changes for the players, the students, the alumns.......and for future players that are considering Brown. I was hoping that a marquee player like Roy might draw another really high profile prospect or two at Brown over the next few years that would really solidify the program. Based on reports, we have a solid incoming freshman class - but Roy was a potential game changer both on and off the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Brunofan View Post
                        This comparing education stuff is crazy, all of the schools mentioned in the thread are quality institutions. I'm proud of my Brown degree as well, but we all know the further you go along in your career it is all about what you have done......and what you can offer, not the name of a school on a sheet of paper.

I don't wish that the Roy rot in hell, but there could be a big impact on the program as a whole with this one high profile player leaving the program. I had anticipated with the excitement around this player, we would initially see an increased interest from alums and the students at the early games this season. If winning were to follow, and Meehan was a packed house again - everyone knows that the whole experience changes for the players, the students, the alumns.......and for future players that are considering Brown. I was hoping that a marquee player like Roy might draw another really high profile prospect or two at Brown over the next few years that would really solidify the program. Based on reports, we have a solid incoming freshman class - but Roy was a potential game changer both on and off the ice.
                        To the first piece - agree. I did not go to an Ivy League institution, and BU, NU, and Brown are all substantially higher on the academic scale compared to my mealy-mouthed state school education. And believe me, I'll be the first one to both knock and stick up for my crappy state education. The fact remains that I have a degree, and in the end, it didn't matter for my career path where I got it from. I, in fact, work for a boss who never went to college, so I think it's really splitting hairs if you're ranked 43rd, 12th, or 58th. If you went to any school, that's admirable in and of itself since a degree requires work. And I have a fairly good job in an office in a white-collar environment. And I'm fairly certain I got this job over an Ivy League graduate.

I hate it when people start doing all this crap about "your school isn't my school." The elitist mentality is befitting all of those schools who perpetuate that stereotype. As someone who couldn't get into any of those aforementioned schools, I'm perfectly happy to say I got a darn good degree at a state school, and I've carved a very good living out. The fact that people still thumb their noses at others for where they went to school is nothing more than Ivy League or mini-Ivy, or, *GASP* wanna-be Ivy crap.

The fact remains that a student-athlete can still walk out of college with a degree from a university that is a top-rated college. And whether it's Brown, Northeaster, Boston College, Boston University, or anywhere else like that -- there's still something to be said about that. Take it from someone who didn't have the chance to go to a top-100 school. The ranking isn't everything.

I digress from my first rant to the second part:

I think the argument has digressed from how a player handled the situation to the fact that he screwed Brown. I think, also, that a number of people have lost sight over what the hockey team does. Yes, the hockey team lost a recruit who probably would've been a good player. But, again, I reiterate that the team can still be a collective unit and that one player does not make the entire team. At the same time, while people are saying, "Oh Roy doesn't want to go to Brown because they stink," they're valuing wins and losses over something else. Brown produced a perfect 1,000 in the APR, something BU didn't do, and something NU or UVM definitely didn't do. So, in the end, Brown should only want players who are committed to getting a degree and committed to the program.

Roy isn't committed? Good. See ya later. Don't need you anyways. I don't care how much talent the guy has. Whatever his reasons for leaving are - they're his reasons. I'm not him. I don't even care what he wants to do. He wants to leave? Good. Great. Adios amigo. Good luck, best wishes, and you get to do whatever it is that makes you happy. Like any "employer," you never want to look at someone and say "this is the biggest mistake of your life." You got your reasons, and you have to realize how to accept the consequences of doing making your decision.

We don't care if you're here or if you're at VM, NU, Bentley, AIC, or Quebec. The fact remains that you get to live with your decision to do this 2 months before the school year. You have to realize how that appears.
                        Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                          Matthews Arena!

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            If this recruit happens to go to a school you will be playing, are you going to boo him whenever he touches the puck?
                            Vociferously.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                              Vociferously.
                              Nice word choice! Are you a Brown grad?

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                                Nice word choice! Are you a Brown grad?
                                Well, you sure can't learn a word like that at a school like Northeastern or Vermont!

I kid, I kid.

Comment

Working...
                                X