Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
    If he goes to UVM or NU, it will tell me that he has no desire whatsoever to get a quality education and will make me respect him less (if that's even possible)
    Didn't you call out Euler a few weeks ago for saying the quality of education at BC and BU was inferior? This is a little hypocritical...

Comment

If he went Major Junior, it would be easier to swallow. Basically he is saying Brown isn't good enough for him and he wanted to look elsewhere. That's ridiculous. I'm not going to pretend Brown is on the level of the big Hockey East schools, but he can reach his NHL goals and still end up with a Brown degree if he came and left early. If he goes to UVM or NU, it will tell me that he has no desire whatsoever to get a quality education and will make me respect him less (if that's even possible)
      You can get a quality education at both schools (UVM or NU). NU's a top tier university, this isn't 1970. It's not like he's going to Northern Michigan. Should I conclude that anyone who goes to Brown over Harvard or Yale doesn't want a quality education? I mean the whole "quality education" thing is absurd on so many levels since you can be successful going just about anywhere.
      Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
      Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

No chance that the Ducks told him what to do, none...
        ECAC worked out well for Wagner and the Ducks last 2 years.
        They would never tell him to leave Brown and to that point, as a 4th rd pick I doubt they said much if anything to him at their development camp. They usually dont even do exit meetings with the college kids, most energy is top 3 rounds, on MJ kids and AHL kids. 4th Round pick is solid at best and is not a player they see coming in over next several years.
        Advisor Maybe, NHL team? zero chance. Maybe they might say go MJ but not which college league.

Comment

Posted the following on the UVM thread this morning:

FYI, here's a very recent article about Kevin Roy:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...175118462.html

It says he's probably looking to play for a "marquee NCAA team," which would seemingly preclude UVM as a choice. This seems like a real long shot at best. What we have going for us is an available scholarship and close proximity to his home in Quebec. Who knows, maybe he's a Marty St. Louis fan and would want to follow in his footsteps. We can hope.....

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
            Posted the following on the UVM thread this morning:

FYI, here's a very recent article about Kevin Roy:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...175118462.html

It says he's probably looking to play for a "marquee NCAA team," which would seemingly preclude UVM as a choice. This seems like a real long shot at best. What we have going for us is an available scholarship and close proximity to his home in Quebec. Who knows, maybe he's a Marty St. Louis fan and would want to follow in his footsteps. We can hope.....
            Whatever the reason, they're his and his alone. If someone influenced that decision, then it's still ultimately his decision. While it hurts to lose a player of his caliber, I don't know what constitutes a marquee team in his eyes. Vermont could very well be marquee with the MSL and Tim Thomas publicity the last few years. UMass could easily be a marquee with Jonathan Quick's emergence last year with the Conn Smythe.

What we define as marquee and what someone else believes constitutes marquee are two totally different things.

For Brunonian fans, I think this hurts, yes. But at the same time, I personally would rather take a hit from the team's overall skill level than move forward with someone clearly doubting his decision. It's like Jimmy Chitwood playing ball on his own. Coach Norman Dale said it best - "I was hoping you'd recognize us for who we are, not who we're not."
            Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Here is Mark Divver's story in today's projo with more comments from Roy:

PROVIDENCE — High-scoring center Kevin Roy doesn’t feel good about the uppercut that he delivered to the Brown hockey program by decommitting just over a month before he was scheduled to start classes on College Hill.

But the Anaheim Ducks draft pick insists that he did what he had to do to advance his hockey career.

“I know it sucks that it ended up being this way, but I did the best I could,” Roy said in a phone interview on Monday night.

“It was a hard decision. It could have been made before, but with everything going on and so much to think about and so much to consider — at the end of the day, you just have to think about your future. … Like I said, I felt really bad about it, but it’s something I felt like I had to do.”

The call to inform Brown coach Brendan Whittet of his decision “was an extremely hard phone call to do. It was probably the hardest decision I’ve ever taken,” said Roy, who is from Lac Beauport, Quebec.

Roy, 19, was a little-known player at Deerfield Academy when he verbally committed to Brown in August 2010 along with his brother, Derick, 20. Derick, who is thought to be a marginal Division I goalie, has also decommitted.

Since then, Kevin Roy’s career has taken off, thanks to a breakout season with the Lincoln Stars of the United States Hockey League in 2011-12. As the top scorer in the best junior league in the nation, Roy received a ton of attention from pro scouts and Division I college recruiters, even though he was already had committed to Brown.

“Thoughout the year, with everything that was going on, I had a lot of pressure from everyone. I felt that since we committed (to Brown) two years ago, things have changed.

“I totally respect Brown. It’s a great community, a great school and the coaches are great, too. The program is going the right way,” said Roy, whose family is turning its back on a four-year financial-aid package from Brown worth a total of $400,000 for the two boys.

“At the end of the day, I just wanted to make sure that I was going to the right place that would give me opportunities to play at the next level,” Roy said.

“It’s not that I couldn’t do that (by going to Brown). It’s just that another place — I don’t know where yet — can offer me maybe more. It’s not that Brown wasn’t good enough. It’s just a personal decision. Nothing against Brown. Nothing against anyone.”

Roy, who was impressive at Anaheim’s rookie camp a few weeks ago, said that the Ducks did not tell him not to go to Brown.

“They helped me decide, but they didn’t tell me to go anywhere. I chose my way. They said, ‘If you go to Brown, we’re 100 percent happy. If you go to any other school in the country, we’ll be happy. It’s your decision. We’ll be fine with whatever decision you take.’ That’s what they told me. It had nothing to do with them.”

Few D-I programs have one scholarship available this late in the summer, never mind the two needed to accommodate both Roys. More than a few people in the college hockey community believe that the brothers already had a deal lined up before decommitting, but Roy said that is not the case.

Not surprisingly, there has been significant interest.

“We’ve gotten a lot of calls. I don’t know how many, but we’ve gotten a lot of calls,” Roy said.
              When will the brothers decide on their next move?

“It’s hard to say. It can be tomorrow if I talk to the right school,” Roy said.

If there is an early favorite, it would appear to be Northeastern.

Ex-Providence College center Jerry Keefe — a former Brown assistant who is now at Northeastern — played a key role in convincing the brothers to commit to Brown in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                UMass could easily be a marquee with Jonathan Quick's emergence last year with the Conn Smythe.

What we define as marquee and what someone else believes constitutes marquee are two totally different things.
                Taking into consideration the bottom part that I quoted (which I would agree with generally), it's still one of the most ridiculous reaches ever to consider UMass a marquee hockey program and if someone defines them as marquee (especially using an example of Quick winning the Smythe) I think they should get their chromosomes recounted.
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• I hope like hell that he ends up at NU, so that it will be all the more ironic when they continue to whine about losing recruits to other schools.

Cough cough *manno* cough cough *ferriero* cough
                  “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                  Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                  Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                  National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                    I hope like hell that he ends up at NU, so that it will be all the more ironic when they continue to whine about losing recruits to other schools.

Cough cough *manno* cough cough *ferriero* cough
                    Who's whining? You lose a coach, that's the results. Pretty simple.
                    Northeastern Huskies

Comment

In the Providence Journal article Roy says he's gotten a lot of calls. I don't know how well Sneddon knows Martin St. Louis, but if I were Sneddon, I'd do whatever I could to have him give Roy a call, as one Quebec native to another (meaning Province of Quebec). Or Mike Gilligan, who's still involved with UVM hockey, could encourage his former player St. Louis to call. After Girgensons and Deluca, we need this bad!
                      Last edited by UVM Cat in Texas; 07-25-2012, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                        Both NU (62) and UVM (82) are USNWR Top-100 academic schools so I don't agree he'll be deprived of a quality education at either institution. Not to eqate either with Brown (15) but they're still head-and-shoulders above the likes of North Dakota (164).

That being said, I also find the timing of the departure and the way it was done to be distasteful. Much as I might like to see NU gain a KRoy to offset the loss of Gaudreau last year, I'm not exactly smacking my lips in anticipation.
                        Completely laughable post. Yes, NU and UVM aren't North Dakota, I'll grant you, but the gap between Brown and NU/UVM is vast enough to obviously state that a kid who dismisses a chance at an Ivy League degree for UVM/NU cares not about academics.
                        Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                          Didn't you call out Euler a few weeks ago for saying the quality of education at BC and BU was inferior? This is a little hypocritical...
                          Compared to an Ivy, yes, BC and BU are inferior. They are much closer than NU is, though. Point? Look, I admire NU fans for trumpeting their University, but anyone who compares NU to Brown is living in FantasyLand.
                          Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Last night I decided to listen once again to the interview with Kevin Roy, whose link I had included in a recent post. In this interview, broadcast about a week before he and his brother Derick "decommitted" from Brown, Kevin disingenuously confirmed that he definitely intended to attend Brown ("It's Brown!"), and proceeded to praise the university and the coaching staff. It's clear that the young man has been skilled not only at passing and shooting the puck but also in the art of doublespeak. I literally got sick to my stomach.

There has been much talk about how it's supposedly legal for Kevin Roy to renege on his commitment to Brown and go around peddling his wrist shot to the highest bidder because the Ivy League doesn't use the National Letter of Intent. Perhaps. Nevertheless, a verbal contract is just as good as a written contract and enforceable to the extent of the law. Besides, since the fall of 2010 there have been many articles about and interviews with Kevin himself in which he repeatedly reaffirmed his commitment to attend Brown. If Brown could prove damages, it probably would win a civil case against Kevin Roy though it's unlikely that the university would waste its time pursuing this matter. It's also worth noting that as an allegedly early decision applicant, the young man did sign a form stating that if accepted, he would attend Brown. Ultimately this is less a matter of legality than one of ethics, moral values, and character.

The conventional, gentlemanlike course of action would be for me to say that "I wish Kevin, Derick and their parents the best." However, I don't believe that we're dealing with gentlemen here. So, I suppose, "good riddance" will have to do.

Comment

Compared to an Ivy, yes, BC and BU are inferior. They are much closer than NU is, though. Point? Look, I admire NU fans for trumpeting their University, but anyone who compares NU to Brown is living in FantasyLand.

We're not comparing NU to Harvard here, or MIT, or Brown, or Yale. The point is it's a good school. It's 2012, not 1970 when it was a commuter school that every kid picked as a safety school. To say you can't get a quality education at NU, BU or BC (and BU and NU are equal except one gives you job experience and an actual campus) is horribly false.

You have every right to be mad but what you said was ridiculous.
                              Northeastern Huskies

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                                Last night I decided to listen once again to the interview with Kevin Roy, whose link I had included in a recent post. In this interview, broadcast about a week before he and his brother Derick "decommitted" from Brown, Kevin disingenuously confirmed that he definitely intended to attend Brown ("It's Brown!"), and proceeded to praise the university and the coaching staff. It's clear that the young man has been skilled not only at passing and shooting the puck but also in the art of doublespeak. I literally got sick to my stomach.

There has been much talk about how it's supposedly legal for Kevin Roy to renege on his commitment to Brown and go around peddling his wrist shot to the highest bidder because the Ivy League doesn't use the National Letter of Intent. Perhaps. Nevertheless, a verbal contract is just as good as a written contract and enforceable to the extent of the law. Besides, since the fall of 2010 there have been many articles about and interviews with Kevin himself in which he repeatedly reaffirmed his commitment to attend Brown. If Brown could prove damages, it probably would win a civil case against Kevin Roy though it's unlikely that the university would waste its time pursuing this matter. It's also worth noting that as an allegedly early decision applicant, the young man did sign a form stating that if accepted, he would attend Brown. Ultimately this is less a matter of legality than one of ethics, moral values, and character.

The conventional, gentlemanlike course of action would be for me to say that "I wish Kevin, Derick and their parents the best." However, I don't believe that we're dealing with gentlemen here. So, I suppose, "good riddance" will have to do.
                                Uh, in the NCAA a verbal contract does not equal signing an NLOI at all.
                                Northeastern Huskies

Comment

Working...
                                X