Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union Hockey Offseason Thread - That was fun...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union Hockey Offseason Thread - That was fun...

Carr may be a year too early, but I could see any number of people getting it - perhaps most likely, Coburn, Stuart, or Simpson.

Not surprised about Gostisbehere getting picked, though the third round is a pleasant surprise. I thought he might go a round or two later. As mentioned here earlier, he probably needs to get a little bigger before going pro. Boyle getting picked in the fourth is another testament to the recruiting skills of the coaching staff.

CSN Philly story on Gostisbehere: http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...412&feedID=704

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
      Carr may be a year too early, but I could see any number of people getting it - perhaps most likely, Coburn, Stuart, or Simpson.
      I didn't express it well, but I was thinking of Carr as a "A", and more likely a senior like Coburn the "C".

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
        I didn't express it well, but I was thinking of Carr as a "A", and more likely a senior like Coburn the "C".
        I could see that arrangement.

By the way, I noticed there's a recent Grosenick interview at YouTube: http://youtu.be/TEs001SlXoA

Comment

http://proxy.autopod.ca/podcasts/chu...e%20dorion.mp3

Senators director of player personnel, Pierre Dorion talks about Tim Boyle at around the 5 minute mark. He calls Tim the second best player at the Beantown Classic behind Providence recruit Mark Jankowski who went in the first round.
          Last edited by Dutchfan; 06-24-2012, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Via Twitter:

Union College Hockey @UnionHockey

Union NHL Prospect Camp invites thus far: Grosenick (NYR), Carr (BOS), and Simpson (BOS). Will be more to come, including Gostisbehere (PHI)

Comment

I'm surprised that Jooris didn't get another invitation from the Bruins after all the positive reviews on his performance at their camp last summer.

I would expect to see Mat Bodie end up at someone's camp, he was at the Blackhawks camp a summer ago.

Comment

I still don't understand how these NHL camps get a pass with the NC$$. Obviously it's ok but it seems (in)consistent with the lunacy of NCAA regulations.

Comment

I still don't understand how these NHL camps get a pass with the NC$$. Obviously it's ok but it seems (in)consistent with the lunacy of NCAA regulations.
                  I believe the standard is that the players can't be paid and can't play in an organized game (i.e. non-scrimmage) against "pros". It is pretty arcane though.. players can be coached & practice with NHL pros with no problem, but Julien Laplante plays 20 minutes of an exhibition game against some barely paid major juniors and is docked a year of eligibility.
                  UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                    I believe the standard is that the players can't be paid and can't play in an organized game (i.e. non-scrimmage) against "pros". It is pretty arcane though.. players can be coached & practice with NHL pros with no problem, but Julien Laplante plays 20 minutes of an exhibition game against some barely paid major juniors and is docked a year of eligibility.
                    To put a sharper point on it, NCAA eligible kids have to pay their own way...airfare, hotel, etc.
                    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

I was generally aware of the rules but it's pretty obvious that when the NCAA feels like it they simply regulate around any objections with arbitrary and hypocritical guidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchfan View Post
                        I'm surprised that Jooris didn't get another invitation from the Bruins after all the positive reviews on his performance at their camp last summer.

I would expect to see Mat Bodie end up at someone's camp, he was at the Blackhawks camp a summer ago.
                        Jooris is in Vancouver's camp..... http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=636066
                        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Video highlights from Rangers' Developmental camp. Troy Grosenick is no. 81. http://blueshirtsunited.com/videos/1...age-highlights

Comment

WRAL story about Jeremy Welsh: http://www.wralsportsfan.com/hurricanes/story/11257442/

Comment

Does anyone have any thoughts on Union's captaincy this season. With Juice, Zajac and Welsh having departed there is no automatic successor in line. I'd throw out there Greg Coburn and Carr as potential candidates.
                              Probably gonna be Coburn for sure hes a lock and the Bodies as well.

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                                Great interview with Jeremy. He really seems to have a huge opportunity there. So far as looking ahead for U, I see it as a team effort to fill the void Jeremy is leaving. I think Carr needs to and can really light it up and Hatch has to fulfill what has been a lot of potential. How many breakaways did he have last season? Seemingly one or two a game. Needs to finish. I'm looking for Wayne Simpson to become an elite player and to step in for both Welsh and Zajac...talk about big skates to fill. With Ghost, M. Bodes, Forgaard, Coburn, et. al. the defensive corps that should be solid and with Troy and Colin backstopping there's a solid line of last defense. We'll have to see how the frosh and rising sophs make out, but I think there is a lot of potential there as well. I do think that Juice is going to leave a large void in terms of his steady play and most importantly his leadership. I never paid that much attention to captaincy and all that, but it's obvious that U has been blessed in that department. The leadership and interaction between the captain and the coaching staff is I've learned, a pretty big deal, far more than a figure head position.

Comment

Working...
                                X