Evaluating Frozen Four host Tampa Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evaluating Frozen Four host Tampa Bay

For those of you that went, curious to how you thought Tampa served as a host for the Frozen Four.
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Re: Evaluating Frozen Four host Tampa Bay

The arena is very nice and easy to get to, and parking was easy. If the ncaa doesn't want alcohol at events why was there a beer garden on Thursday? Allow alcohol or don't. There was no listing of events with tickets like there was last year. All in all it was a good event with plenty to do in tampa.
    Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
      The arena is very nice and easy to get to, and parking was easy. If the ncaa doesn't want alcohol at events why was there a beer garden on Thursday? Allow alcohol or don't. There was no listing of events with tickets like there was last year. All in all it was a good event with plenty to do in tampa.
      Interesting, where was the beer garden located exactly and what times was it open?

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
        Interesting, where was the beer garden located exactly and what times was it open?
        It was outside of section 114 on Thursday. I don't know what times. I was out there between games. I don't think it was open for the NC game.
        Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

they gave out the trophy before the handshakes. tsk tsk. it was pretty funny when the BC captain gave it back
          “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
          Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
          Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
          National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

I wasn't in Tampa but was watching on TV. Only one comment relating to the host: When you have two pretty good college bands in the house, you don't need a pipe organ. Bands are part and parcel of the college sports culture. Next time, give the organ guy the night off.

On the matter of adult beverages, I have no idea what the NC$$ rule is but if there is such a rule, it must have more holes than a swiss cheese. I've been to Colorado College games at the World Arena, where beer was sold from the concession stands. Ditto for at least one of the league championships in hoops.
            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
              I wasn't in Tampa but was watching on TV. Only one comment relating to the host: When you have two pretty good college bands in the house, you don't need a pipe organ. Bands are part and parcel of the college sports culture. Next time, give the organ guy the night off.

On the matter of adult beverages, I have no idea what the NC$$ rule is but if there is such a rule, it must have more holes than a swiss cheese. I've been to Colorado College games at the World Arena, where beer was sold from the concession stands. Ditto for at least one of the league championships in hoops.
              About half the arenas I know of sell booze, that's not the issue, the rule is they can't sell alcohol for NCAA tournament games, but regular season and league playoff games are fine.
              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

They had all sorts of beer sales outside the arena pregame. Expensive, but they were popular.

I felt Tampa did a terrific job with the Championships. I have nothing to compare it to, as this was my first FrozenFour, but I was quite impressed. I also noticed a large amount of fans in Lightning apparel, telling me that there were a fair number of local ticket sales.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                  The NCAA rule only applies to NCAA championship events; the service of alcohol at home games for the respective teams, and championship events sponsored by an athletic conference, has always been and will continue to be at the discretion of the school and/or the arena operator.
                  UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                    They had all sorts of beer sales outside the arena pregame. Expensive, but they were popular.

I felt Tampa did a terrific job with the Championships. I have nothing to compare it to, as this was my first FrozenFour, but I was quite impressed. I also noticed a large amount of fans in Lightning apparel, telling me that there were a fair number of local ticket sales.
                    Tampa Bay, surprisingly, has fantastic hockey fans.
                    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

I thought Tampa was fun, weather was great,the arena was awesome, ice was good, stuff to do on Friday , had good food , turkey legs in the arena were good, hockey was excellent. I'd go again without question
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Lots of signage at the airport and near the arena, so the locals and UAH did a good job. Reasonable job covering the event by the local papers, especially considering the fact that it was wrapped around the Rays opening day against the Yankees. And wow is it easy to get out of the Times Forum. In the time it took us to get back to the hotel, I might have gotten out of my parking space in Boston. As we pretty much already knew, plenty to do on the off day and Saturday morning. The only complaint I have was that it just feels strange to go to a hockey game and see people in T-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops, but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                          Tampa Bay, surprisingly, has fantastic hockey fans.
                          No surprise. I was there for the '99 NHL All Star game and the town was fantastic. What I really like is that every year there are a number of posts whining about just about everything imaginable, and I've seen almost no negative feedback. One friend that goes every year said it was one of the best ever. I'm not surprised. Plenty of bars, restaurants and hotels within walking distance of the arena. A good building, easy access and great weather. Now add a city and an organization that knows how to put on a first class event and that's a hard combo to beat.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            I thought Tampa was fun, weather was great,the arena was awesome, ice was good, stuff to do on Friday , had good food , turkey legs in the arena were good, hockey was excellent. I'd go again without question
                            This. I thought it was great. I hope the NCAA selects them again.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                              Lots of signage at the airport and near the arena, so the locals and UAH did a good job. Reasonable job covering the event by the local papers, especially considering the fact that it was wrapped around the Rays opening day against the Yankees. And wow is it easy to get out of the Times Forum. In the time it took us to get back to the hotel, I might have gotten out of my parking space in Boston. As we pretty much already knew, plenty to do on the off day and Saturday morning. The only complaint I have was that it just feels strange to go to a hockey game and see people in T-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops, but that's just me.
                              To be fair, there are a number of traditional hockey cities in cold weather areas where you could have worn a t- shirt shorts and flip flops this past weekend
                              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Working...
                              X