Jack Connolly wins the Hobey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Connolly wins the Hobey

Jack Connolly is a great player, and I'mma let him finish, but Austin Smith got screwed. /kanye

Congrats to Jack, hard to argue the selection, as he certainly had a great year/career.

Re: Jack Connolly wins the Hobey

They may not have been able to successfully defend the title, but this ain't a shabby consolation. Congratulations, Jack. Another addition to the Hobey family here in Duluth.
    Bulldog Hockey: 2011 National Champions! Finally!!!

Comment

Congrats to a true class act, leader and deserving Hobey Baker winner, Jack Connolly.
      UMD: tHobey Baker University.

Comment

Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing View Post
        They may not have been able to successfully defend the title, but this ain't a shabby consolation. Congratulations, Jack. Another addition to the Hobey family here in Duluth.
        How many is that for UMD?

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
          Jack Connolly is a great player, and I'mma let him finish, but Austin Smith got screwed. /kanye

Congrats to Jack, hard to argue the selection, as he certainly had a great year/career.
          Don't let people fool you into believing last year didn't have anything to do with the hobey outcome this year.
          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

That is frickig appalling. Austin Smith was head and shoulders above the field.
            Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Best thing ever to happen to Spence
              sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                How many is that for UMD?
                I believe Connolly makes 5.
                "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
                  The best player doesn't always win the Hobey Baker. There are other things that go into voting on the award.

Comment

UMD has more Hobey Bakers than any other school in the nation with 5. Congratulations to Jack Connolly! A more than deserving player!
                    Last edited by Biddco; 04-06-2012, 07:14 PM.
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
                      it really sucks... I know for a fact that Connolly was trying to enrich uranium for the Iranians and taking lollipops from kids at local banks the whole time Austin Smith was donating bone marrow, curing cancer tracking down Nicole Brown Smith's real killer, AND scoring over 9 goals per game and just begging the officials not to count all of them, so that the feelings of the opposition would not be hurt.

:rolleyes
                      Last edited by KnowItAll; 04-06-2012, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Wow. Two of the last three years, UMaine has had the national scoring champion, and both years the Hobey was given to a WCHA player. Of course there is no western bias.

Out of the 3, I would have given Jack the 3rd place vote.

Austin Smith had a special, dominate, and did I say special? season. He was certainly the ace that helped Colgate linger around the bubble late in the season.

But with Abbott, we're talking about

-The national scoring champ who led a once prominent program back to the NCAAs for the first time in 5 years. He outscored Connolly in two fewer games, playing in a conference that had 4 goaltenders in the GAA top 20 vs. 2, and had 5 goaltenders in the SavePct Top 20 vs 3.

MVPs come up big in big spots. In their Game 3 QF series with Merrimack, he scored a goal and an assist in a 2-1 clinching win. Against BU in the semis, he had two assists before suffering a concussion. After being questionable all week, and not knowing what extent his effectiveness will be in the NCAAs in recovering from the concussion, he still managed a goal, pretty or not.

I don't usually wear bias on my sleeve, but this is pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobey Baker website
                          Hobey Baker Award Criteria

1. Candidates must exhibit strength of character both on and off the ice.

2. Candidates must contribute to the integrity of the team and display outstanding skills in all phases of the game.

3. Consideration should be given to scholastic achievement and sportmanship.

4. Candidates must comply with all NCAA rules: be full time students in an accredited NCAA college or university; and complete 50% or more of the season.
                          Here is the criteria. I would guess (3) is the tiebreaker.

Comment

Originally posted by TripleE View Post
                            Wow. Two of the last three years, UMaine has had the national scoring champion, and both years the Hobey was given to a WCHA player. Of course there is no western bias.

Out of the 3, I would have given Jack the 3rd place vote.

Austin Smith had a special, dominate, and did I say special? season. He was certainly the ace that helped Colgate linger around the bubble late in the season.

But with Abbott, we're talking about

-The national scoring champ who led a once prominent program back to the NCAAs for the first time in 5 years. He outscored Connolly in two fewer games, playing in a conference that had 4 goaltenders in the GAA top 20 vs. 2, and had 5 goaltenders in the SavePct Top 20 vs 3.

MVPs come up big in big spots. In their Game 3 QF series with Merrimack, he scored a goal and an assist in a 2-1 clinching win. Against BU in the semis, he had two assists before suffering a concussion. After being questionable all week, and not knowing what extent his effectiveness will be in the NCAAs in recovering from the concussion, he still managed a goal, pretty or not.

I don't usually wear bias on my sleeve, but this is pathetic.
                            Correct, absolutely pathetic.
                            UMD: tHobey Baker University.

Comment

Yeah, but even with him MEg and RwD's fantasy team still sucked.

I can't believe all the "my guy deserved it more" rah rah. You could make a case for 3 to 5 guys every year. It doesn't matter how many goalies in one conference were in the top in GAA or sv%, usually the best individual leaders in those are from AHA or ECAC bc its easier to put up numbers there, so your argument could be turned against you.

I can't stand tUMD but congratulate the guy and move on or keep quiet and move on.

Oh... and Harty was STILL robbed!
                              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Working...
                              X