This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gopher 2012 offseason thread

I guess to each their own on definition of failure. We all want to win the NCAA title but I personally wouldn't use that as the sole measuring stick of success or not during a year. Far too narrow a measure for me. Using that measure, BC would be considered a failure 2/3 of the time since 2001... and I think most people would say they have been the best program over that time frame.

I feel this was a successful year for the Gophers. Some of it is based on where they had been in prior years. But some of it is simply the reality that a pretty young team won their league, earned some valuable NCAA playoff experience/wins, and gave the fans something to be excited about again. Maybe not as successful as they can be but still a pretty good season.
    University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
      So you are saying you prefer that we don't play playoff games to determine a champion, but that we somehow base it on results of the regular season since thats a more accurate representation of the teams quality. That's fine. We still wouldn't have won the title in that comparison most years either. Meaning we still failed to achieve or goal.
      Regular season is DEFINITELY a better representation of a teams quality. Larger sample size is nearly always better. We play the playoffs for entertainment, or to sell tickets. In fact, thats why we play games period. There is nothing magical about winning a championship, other than only one team gets to do it each year. Otherwise, its just another accomplishment, like a Hobey Baker, or a perfect season, etc.

There are plenty of 'goals' in the course of a season, plenty of accomplishments, and plenty to enjoy and celebrate. This Gophers team exceeded expectations. Most evidence suggests that you get more joy out of exceeding expectations than anything else. I'd say it was an entertaining, enjoyable season.

Comment

I think if you can't enjoy a season in which your team wins the conference title and is one of the last four standing, you can't enjoy anything.

Maybe scooby hacked into jf's account.

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
          Did we win the national title?
          For all you fish that got caught.....

Welcome to tArrogance.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

In many other years, Minnesota is national champs. BC just had an unbeatable team this year.

With this type of team going forward...we'd be the ones with the dynasty.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              For all you fish that got caught.....
              ...or perhaps some of us indulged him because it's the offseason, and we are very very bored.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                ...or perhaps some of us indulged him because it's the offseason, and we are very very bored.
                Maybe. I don't quite understand why you'd troll your own fan base though. It's us against them so we don't need this kind of stuff. But alas the offseason and we've got nothing better to do.

Comment

Hoping Bjug and or Haula return, although even if they do one can never rule out the possible depature out of nowhere. If what I've heard is accurate however, the return of Guentzel and Lucia's recovery has combined to make the locker room a better place which if correct should reduce the unexepected transfers.

We shall see...

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Hoping Bjug and or Haula return, although even if they do one can never rule out the possible depature out of nowhere. If what I've heard is accurate however, the return of Guentzel and Lucia's recovery has combined to make the locker room a better place which if correct should reduce the unexepected transfers.

We shall see...
                    It looks like Lucia's health troubles played a much bigger role than many of us understood. His mood swings and difficulty engaging would seem to explain some of the mind-set issues that getting in the way in recent years. Good thing that's behind him.

Funny thing about this year. As much as we NoDak boneheads love to see UND beat the Gophers and gloat, it was more fun having the Gophers back in it this year. You fans were back to being as vile and loathsome as we remember you . . .
                    Last edited by burd; 04-12-2012, 07:15 PM.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Gopher 2012 offseason thread

Any info on incoming recruits?

Comment

Originally posted by William Blake View Post

A.J. Michaelson
                        Connor Reilly
                        Ryan Reilly
                        Michael Reilly
                        Brady Skjei
                        Adam Wilcox

and possibly........

2012 or 2013
                        Justin Kloos

I'll let others say one way or the other. The prizes of the class based on what I've read/heard are Mike Reilly and Brady Skjei (pronounced "Shay"). Both puck moving offensive defensemen.

Wilcox is the incoming goaltender and is a cousin of Stalock who played for UMD.

Connor and Ryan are twins. All three are brothers.

And of course Kloos if he comes in next season was the Mr. Hockey winner.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by William Blake View Post
                          I believe the following players have signed their LOI:

Mike Reilly-D (Penticton - BCHL) - 66 games 25g-67a-92pts
                          Connor Reilly-F (Penticton - BCHL) - 54 games 35g-51a-86pts
                          Ryan Reilly-F (Penticton -BCHL) - 75 games 35g-45a-80pts
                          Brady Skjei-D (USNTDP U-18) - 54 games 4g-18a-22pts
                          AJ Michaelson-F (Waterloo - USHL) - 53 games 6g-14a-20pts

Adam Wilcox-G (Green Bay/Tri-City - USHL)

w/Green Bay - 9 games 7W-2L 2.27GAA .918SV%
                          w/Tri-City - 34 games 16W-17L 2.91GAA .916SV%

I don't think Justin Kloos comes in next year unless there is a departure. Otherwise, he'll play next season in Waterloo.

Justin Kloos-F (Lakeville South - MSHSL) - 31 games 41g-62a-103pts
                          w/Waterloo - USHL - 2 games 2g-2a-4pts (Still playing. Playoffs start today)
                          Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 04-16-2012, 10:47 AM.
                          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                            I believe the following players have signed their LOI:

Mike Reilly-D (Penticton - BCHL) - 66 games 25g-67a-92pts
                            Connor Reilly-F (Penticton - BCHL) - 54 games 35g-51a-86pts
                            Ryan Reilly-F (Penticton -BCHL) - 75 games 35g-45a-80pts
                            Brady Skjei-D (USNTDP U-18) - 54 games 4g-18a-22pts
                            AJ Michaelson-F (Waterloo - USHL) - 53 games 6g-14a-20pts

Adam Wilcox-G (Green Bay/Tri-City - USHL)

w/Green Bay - 9 games 7W-2L 2.27GAA .918SV%
                            w/Tri-City - 34 games 16W-17L 2.91GAA .916SV%

I don't think Justin Kloos comes in next year unless there is a departure. Otherwise, he'll play next season in Waterloo.

Justin Kloos-F (Lakeville South - MSHSL) - 31 games 41g-62a-103pts
                            w/Waterloo - USHL - 2 games 2g-2a-4pts (Still playing. Playoffs start today)
                            I know people were excited about the Reillys coming but how in the world does a D-man get 92 points!? Note to self - Temper expectations until we see it in college, but wow...
                            Bottom Line: If you deserve to win the national championship then don't worry about who you play, when, and where. Just keep winning.
                            Exception: You are right about the refs. They, no doubt, have it in for <insert your team name here>!

Comment

Originally posted by gopheritall View Post
                              I know people were excited about the Reillys coming but how in the world does a D-man get 92 points!? Note to self - Temper expectations until we see it in college, but wow...
                              The league is a very offense oriented league and Penticon rattled off a record number of victories.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                The league is a very offense oriented league and Penticon rattled off a record number of victories.
                                I thought maybe he spent some time at forward or something. 92 is still impressive.
                                Bottom Line: If you deserve to win the national championship then don't worry about who you play, when, and where. Just keep winning.
                                Exception: You are right about the refs. They, no doubt, have it in for <insert your team name here>!

Comment

Working...
                                X