X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gopher 2012 offseason thread

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
    You mean the tournament didn't end after beating UND? Crap.
    We should start hanging "We beat UND" banners. Plenty of room in the rafters where those National Title banners aren't.
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
      Did we win the national title?
      Jeez, didn't realize you had that simplistic of a view...

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        Jeez, didn't realize you had that simplistic of a view...
        I didn't know you had such low expectations.
        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

I'm not a Gopher fan, but there's something called realistic expectations. Viewing every season that doesn't end in a national title as a failure? Ya, I could never have that belief.

Comment

You can't honestly be disappointed in a team that hadn't even made the NCAA tourney in 3 years both winning the WCHA and making it to the FF (by beating two very good teams). I would have hoped for a better last game but the NC or bust after a number of bad years is just moronic.

Comment

Originally posted by William Blake View Post
              You can't honestly be disappointed in a team that hadn't even made the NCAA tourney in 3 years both winning the WCHA and making it to the FF (by beating two very good teams). I would have hoped for a better last game but the NC or bust after a number of bad years is just moronic.
              So its OK to lower expectations by having bad years. Got it.

No wonder the Twins lost 99 games last year. They didn't want people to start expecting them to win in the playoffs. Now they are only expected to go .500 and that will be some huge success.
              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

So do you view the Gopher program as having five successful seasons and something like 85 failures?

Comment

So do you view the Gopher program as having five successful seasons and something like 85 failures?
                  Using his line of reasoning, it would be 7 successful and 84 failures.
                  @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                  On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                  High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

So its OK to lower expectations by having bad years. Got it.

No wonder the Twins lost 99 games last year. They didn't want people to start expecting them to win in the playoffs. Now they are only expected to go .500 and that will be some huge success.
                    I was just gonna edit my post to say that "moronic" might have been a bit harsh, guess not.

Comment

I don't really view seasons prior to the NCAA as success/failure since I don't really know anything about the structure of hockey in those days.

But as far as the NCAA years, yes they have failed. All those other trophies are nice, but if you play for the Gophers then you play the season to win the national championship. We aren't #26 Union.
                      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Originally posted by William Blake View Post
                        I was just gonna edit my post to say that "moronic" might have been a bit harsh, guess not.
                        No, you were spot on.
                        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

but if you play for the Gophers then you play the season to win the national championship.
                          By this logic, MN could go undefeated and then lose in quadruple OT in the title game - and have a failure of a season.

I refuse to accept that a single bad game/outcome determines an entire season's value.

To put it another way:
                          - the MacNaughton is awarded to the best team as judged by their record over a five month period against conference foes
                          - the Broadmoor is awarded to the best team as judged by who manages to win 2-3 games in a row in mid-March at the X
                          - the NCAA title is awarded to the best team as judged by who wins four in a row against the top 16 as stipulated by the pairwise.

Winning the first requires consistent solid effort over several months. Winning the second and third require catching fire at the right time and not being unfortunate enough to have a bad game from your goalie or be victimized by a particularly good game by an opponent's goalie - among a litany of other factors that determine the outcome of individual games.

Comment

By this logic, MN could go undefeated and then lose in quadruple OT in the title game - and have a failure of a season.

I refuse to accept that a single bad game/outcome determines an entire season's value.

To put it another way:
                            - the MacNaughton is awarded to the best team as judged by their record over a five month period against conference foes
                            - the Broadmoor is awarded to the best team as judged by who manages to win 2-3 games in a row in mid-March at the X
                            - the NCAA title is awarded to the best team as judged by who wins four in a row against the top 16 as stipulated by the pairwise.

Winning the first requires consistent solid effort over several months. Winning the second and third require catching fire at the right time and not being unfortunate enough to have a bad game from your goalie or be victimized by a particularly good game by an opponent's goalie - among a litany of other factors that determine the outcome of individual games.
                            So you are saying you prefer that we don't play playoff games to determine a champion, but that we somehow base it on results of the regular season since thats a more accurate representation of the teams quality. That's fine. We still wouldn't have won the title in that comparison most years either. Meaning we still failed to achieve or goal.
                            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

So you are saying you prefer that we don't play playoff games to determine a champion, but that we somehow base it on results of the regular season since thats a more accurate representation of the teams quality.
                              If the NCAA wanted to award the title to the best team, each round would be a best of three or some such similar format - a modified version of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. With a sixteen team field, this is impractical, however - so we are left with an entertaining single elimination tournament fraught with upsets.
                              That's fine. We still wouldn't have won the title in that comparison most years either. Meaning we still failed to achieve or goal.
                              Winning the national title is just one of many goals. I imagine each season that MN has five goals: win the MacNaughton, win the Broadmoor, reach the NCAA tournament, advance to the Frozen Four, and win a national title. MN accomplished three of those which isn't too shabby. In comparison, only the '03 team accomplished more of these in the past decade.

With as much praise as BC is getting now, bear in mind entering the '08 tournament, York had just one title with them and an ***load of runner-ups. Even the model program of the past decade couldn't get it done every time they got there.

Comment

As my life coach always says "If you ain't first, yer last".
                                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Working...
                                X