X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gopher 2012 offseason thread

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
    Because it simply reinforces the perennial image that Hak is extremely good at transforming perfectly respectable Mn. kids into goons.
    If that's what you want to talk about instead of your own team...enjoy.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      That being said...why is this being brought up again?
      Boredom.
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
        Boredom.
        Then I'll help you guys out.

You have previously talked about line combinations. What do you project from those lines, and then ultimately from the team?

For example, Nick Bjugstad scored 42 points last season, the 6th highest total from returning players to the WCHA. He put up 25 goals and 17 assists. Where do you see those numbers going this season? He doubled his numbers from his Freshman to Sophomore season, but he's not going to double his numbers again. Realistically, i could see Bjugstad being around 30 goals (I think anywhere from 25-35 is realistic) and he should probably get a few more assists if he is playing on a line with Rau and Budish (who I think could have a huge season this year). Given that, I think around 25 assists from Bjugstad is realistic (say 20-30 assists range). That means I would peg Bjugstad at 30-25-55 for next season, with a high end of probably 65 points (which would likely make him the Hobey favorite).

Now we go to Kyle Rau. Rau had a tremendous Freshman year, and there is usually a pretty decent jump in production between the freshman to sophomore seasons. That being said, Rau put up great numbers, so a big jump is probably out of the question. I see Rau as a 20 goal guy (range: 15-25), but I think he could have a nice increase in assists as well, and would project Rau to be around 30 assists (range: 25-35). That means that I would peg Rau at 20-30-50, with a high end of 60 points.

Now Budish (again, assuming a Rau-Bjugstad-Budish line) had a decent season last year (12-23-35), but I think he could improve those goal totals, especially on this line. I would predict Budish to score about 20 goals (range 15-25), and put up another 25 assists (range: 20-30). That means that I would peg Budish at 20-25-45, with a high end of 55 points.

So, putting that line together I would predict about 70 goals (range: 55-85). For comparison, North Dakota's top line last year produced 63 goals...one of the best top lines in the country. Another comparison, North Dakota's top line from 2010-2011 (Frattin-Malone-Trupp) scored 69 goals, and were arguably the top line in college hockey that season. So basically, I expect Minnesota's top line to be one of the best in the country next season.

Now, what is fun is to put together projections like this for the rest of your projected lines, and D (remember to include powerplay time in your projections. I certainly don't think that Minnesota's top line will score 70 5x5 goals, but they should put up very good PP numbers). Then, you can put together a prediction as far as how potent the team will be offensively.
        North Dakota
        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Mike Reilly:

Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
            Then I'll help you guys out.

You have previously talked about line combinations. What do you project from those lines, and then ultimately from the team?

For example, Nick Bjugstad scored 42 points last season, the 6th highest total from returning players to the WCHA. He put up 25 goals and 17 assists. Where do you see those numbers going this season? He doubled his numbers from his Freshman to Sophomore season, but he's not going to double his numbers again. Realistically, i could see Bjugstad being around 30 goals (I think anywhere from 25-35 is realistic) and he should probably get a few more assists if he is playing on a line with Rau and Budish (who I think could have a huge season this year). Given that, I think around 25 assists from Bjugstad is realistic (say 20-30 assists range). That means I would peg Bjugstad at 30-25-55 for next season, with a high end of probably 65 points (which would likely make him the Hobey favorite).

Now we go to Kyle Rau. Rau had a tremendous Freshman year, and there is usually a pretty decent jump in production between the freshman to sophomore seasons. That being said, Rau put up great numbers, so a big jump is probably out of the question. I see Rau as a 20 goal guy (range: 15-25), but I think he could have a nice increase in assists as well, and would project Rau to be around 30 assists (range: 25-35). That means that I would peg Rau at 20-30-50, with a high end of 60 points.

Now Budish (again, assuming a Rau-Bjugstad-Budish line) had a decent season last year (12-23-35), but I think he could improve those goal totals, especially on this line. I would predict Budish to score about 20 goals (range 15-25), and put up another 25 assists (range: 20-30). That means that I would peg Budish at 20-25-45, with a high end of 55 points.

So, putting that line together I would predict about 70 goals (range: 55-85). For comparison, North Dakota's top line last year produced 63 goals...one of the best top lines in the country. Another comparison, North Dakota's top line from 2010-2011 (Frattin-Malone-Trupp) scored 69 goals, and were arguably the top line in college hockey that season. So basically, I expect Minnesota's top line to be one of the best in the country next season.

Now, what is fun is to put together projections like this for the rest of your projected lines, and D (remember to include powerplay time in your projections. I certainly don't think that Minnesota's top line will score 70 5x5 goals, but they should put up very good PP numbers). Then, you can put together a prediction as far as how potent the team will be offensively.
            Possible forward line combos:

Rau - Bjugs - Budish

Condon - Haula - Ambroz\Serratore

Warning - Boyd - Serratore\Ambroz

CReilly - Isackson - Michaelson

extras: Ryan Reilly Jared Larson Christian Horn

I know Condon was with Boyd last year, but I would love to see him with Haula on the 2nd line. I'm sure most of the lines(minus the 1st line) will be tinkered with at the start of the season.
            Last edited by Driftryder; 07-26-2012, 08:24 AM.
            Originally posted by CavalryNate
            Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
              Possible forward line combos:

Rau - Bjugs - Budish

Condon - Haula - Ambroz\Serratore

Warning - Boyd - Serratore\Ambroz

CReilly - Isackson - Michaelson

extras: Ryan Reilly Jared Larson

I know Condon was with Boyd last year, but I would love to see him with Haula on the 2nd line. I'm sure most of the lines(minus the 1st line) will be tinkered with at the start of the season.
              I think we'll see Warning on the second line. I think the freshmen are going to have to earn playing time, so I think we'll see Serratore on the 4th line for sure to start the season. My guess is that Connor Reilly will see the most playing time (if healthy) of all the freshmen forwards, but I think Christian Horn is the dark horse. Michaelson has the talent, but I don't think his game is gritty enough to fit a 3rd or 4th line role, so I don't think he'll get as much playing time.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, Ambroz's size could be beneficial on that second line, so I'm fine either way.
              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Warning is certainly on the rise.

I think the one big philosophical question is whether you stack the second line as much as possible or try to have a very good second and third line (like putting Condon on the third line would accomplish). Nice problems to have!
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  Warning is certainly on the rise.

I think the one big philosophical question is whether you stack the second line as much as possible or try to have a very good second and third line (like putting Condon on the third line would accomplish). Nice problems to have!
                  That's what I was thinking(stacking the 2nd line) by putting Condon with Haula, but certainly you could have Warning up with Haula on the 2nd line and have Condon and Boyd together on the 3rd line. As you said it's a nice problem to have.
                  Originally posted by CavalryNate
                  Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                  sigpic

Comment

Warning and Condon are both lefties? And Haula and Boyd both centers?

Then it seems Haula is on two, Boyd is on three. Flip Warning or Condon based on whether you want slightly more firepower in Condon on the second. And then put Ambroz where the size is needed. Perhaps this is pretty straightfoward once the decision is made on line balance.

See, coaching is easy.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                      I remember many UND fans condemning Blood for his actions but remember not one gopher fan talking about or even acknowledging Rau's slash.
                      Why would we admonish Rau for a slash he didn't commit? Are you trying to resurrect the, "Suspend Kyle Rau" thread? As for Gophers players running and hiding, just remember the integrity of fans that still insist Stu Bickel ran and hid. Stu Bickel, you know the guy that unlike Joe Finley has actually won a pro fight?

Comment

Hey! Joe Finley won a fight with Jon Mirnasty! He also got his arse absolutely whooped by Biznasty while being called Jeff Finley, but that doesn't count.
                        Last edited by Dirty; 07-25-2012, 04:53 PM.
                        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                          Going to have to disagree. Though, if you were to actually explain the reasoning behind your disagreement, I might reconsider.
                          I don't care if you disagree. I know the family.
                          University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

I'll trust the coaches with the lines. A lot of different exciting options. I am just hoping for at least one Reilly from Reilly and Reilly goal.
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                              I don't care if you disagree. I know the family.
                              You know what family? The Ilitch family? God dude, learn to comprehend what you read (if you even read what I said at all). I said the Red Wings would push to sign him, not necessarily that Marshall would sign. And I'm sorry, but unless you can prove you are chums with Ilitch, Kenny Holland, or Mikey Babcock, you aren't an authority on the subject. Marshall himself isn't an authority on that subject.

And regardless of what "vibes" you're getting from the Marshall family (that you're apparently so close to), you're foolish if you think Marshall won't at least give it some thought if the Red Wings come knocking.

And personally, I don't want him to possibly be in that situation just so we can experiment with line combos.
                              Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 07-25-2012, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                                If that's what you want to talk about instead of your own team...enjoy.
                                So we need a UND fan's topic approval next time when posting on a Gopher off season thread? Got it.

In retrospect, it's certainly been entertaining to observe the how over the past few years the UND hockey program has managed to spawn the unique and dubious WCHA reputation of rogue players engaging in throwing lawnmowers and other appliances in the streets, urinating in elevators, numerous drunk driving incidents, falling drunk and frostbitten in a snowbank, handshake line mayhem, head hunting with intent to injure, crazed on and off ice temper tantrums, stupid behind the back cheap shots, coach giving the finger to refs...etc.

Oh well, college kids do crazy things...*****http://i594.***********.com/albums/tt28/harleymc1/roflmao.gif******

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                                You know what family? The Ilitch family? God dude, learn to comprehend what you read (if you even read what I said at all). I said the Red Wings would push to sign him, not necessarily that Marshall would sign. And I'm sorry, but unless you can prove you are chums with Ilitch, Kenny Holland, or Mikey Babcock, you aren't an authority on the subject. Marshall himself isn't an authority on that subject.

And regardless of what "vibes" you're getting from the Marshall family (that you're apparently so close to), you're foolish if you think Marshall won't at least give it some thought if the Red Wings come knocking.

And personally, I don't want him to possibly be in that situation just so we can experiment with line combos.
                                Again, for the hundredth time...Marshall's stock is not that valuable at his current level of development. It will never happen...let it go. *****http://i594.***********.com/albums/tt28/harleymc1/smiley-violent083.gif******

Comment

Working...
                                X