X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gopher 2012 offseason thread

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
    who needs a goalie when you are that deep...
    I guess whatever makes you feel better.

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
      who needs a goalie when you are that deep...
      True, we should keep the goalie pulled most of the game to keep it fair.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
        As for Marshall, not sure if it will ever happen, but moving him to forward (where he does have some experience) would allow us to fully utilize the depth of talent on this roster IMO.
        I'd be very surprised if Guentzel suggests Ben Marshall move to forward. The majority of his experience at forward was in youth hockey, since then he's played HS, USHL and of course a season with the Gophers at D. He's seems like a solid four year player. With the experience of a season of college hockey and more anaerobic training this summer to bolster his weight, I think he starts with some pairing at D as well as on special teams next season. His creative Brian Rafalski-like offensive skills, along with his speed and positioning at D showed moments of brilliance last season.

My defensive game has come a long way, he said. My coach at Minnesota, Mike Guentzel, taught me a lot of details that help defensively especially at the college pace. It's really helped me to adjust positionally. I still have a lot of work to do, but the good thing is I have plenty of time to improve.

Comment

• Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
          I'd be very surprised if Guentzel suggests Ben Marshall move to forward. The majority of his experience at forward was in youth hockey, since then he's played HS, USHL and of course a season with the Gophers at D. He's seems like a solid four year player. With the experience of a season of college hockey and more anaerobic training this summer to bolster his weight, I think he starts with some pairing at D as well as on special teams next season. His creative Brian Rafalski-like offensive skills, along with his speed and positioning at D showed moments of brilliance last season.
          I doubt it happens too. I'd like to see it though. I agee, he has great offensive skills, and that this is valuable on the back-end. Mike Reilly has similar skills, and I think will be even better. Brady Skjei is a first round draft pick and has tremendous upside. I think moving Marshall to forward, where I do believe he could succeed, would maximize the skill we put on the ice because I think he has more skill than some of the forwards we'd otherwise have in our bottom 6.
          Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 07-15-2012, 10:12 AM.
          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

I assume Chris Student decided to hang up the skates?
            "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

• Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
              Transferred to a DIII school. Not sure which one.

Comment

• Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                Transferred to a DIII school. Not sure which one.
                Thanks for the info. Too bad it didn't work out for him at the U. Watching him skate for Bsm and then at northeastern I always liked his game.
                It'll be a tough balancing act for Lucia and Guentzel on the backend (albeit a problem every coach wants to have). Not too many 1st/2nd round picks come into school and wind up watching games from the stands, but with the abundance of talent, that is now a certainty. Hopefully guys can keep their egos in check and this could be a really special team.
                "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

• Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                  Thanks for the info. Too bad it didn't work out for him at the U. Watching him skate for Bsm and then at northeastern I always liked his game.
                  It'll be a tough balancing act for Lucia and Guentzel on the backend (albeit a problem every coach wants to have). Not too many 1st/2nd round picks come into school and wind up watching games from the stands, but with the abundance of talent, that is now a certainty. Hopefully guys can keep their egos in check and this could be a really special team.
                  Agree with everything you said.

Comment

http://tapingthestick.wordpress.com/...inter-classic/

cool artist rendition there of what the outdoor game in Chicago could look like- but do they actually expect to get anywhere near filling that place up? Im not even sure if they will fill the lower bowl- with it being 4 college hockey teams from outside Illinois..

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                      I doubt it happens too. I'd like to see it though. I agee, he has great offensive skills, and that this is valuable on the back-end. Mike Reilly has similar skills, and I think will be even better. Brady Skjei is a first round draft pick and has tremendous upside. I think moving Marshall to forward, where I do believe he could succeed, would maximize the skill we put on the ice because I think he has more skill than some of the forwards we'd otherwise have in our bottom 6.
                      I think it's best to wait and see with Mike Reilly and the other guys coming in from the BCHL. Players coming into the WCHA from the BCHL have been known to struggle in recent years. Do they even teach D in the BCHL!!??

Jordy Christian comes to mind. He had about the same point totals as Reilly in the BCHL (84), but avg. only about 9 pts./season in 4 yrs. with SCSU. Even Joey Laleggia (Defense-DU), named the 2011-12 WCHA Rookie of the Year, recorded a 50% drop in all scoring categories in his WCHA pt. totals from the BCHL. The extreme example might be Matt Francis. He also had basically the same pt. totals as Reilly in the BCHL. He played over 40 games for SCSU, but never scored a goal in the WCHA.

Marshall had a decent season and has a year of experience in D1. Unless a player really bombs their first year, Lucia's style is to honor their previous season's hard work and commitment and give them selection priority over incoming frosh. It's hard to determine how well Marshall might perform at forward. With the demand for speed, skill and hockey intelligence in the WCHA, the transition from D to F is a helluva lot more difficult than how it looks on TV.

Originally posted by jerryj View Post
                      ...but do they actually expect to get anywhere near filling that place up? Im not even sure if they will fill the lower bowl- with it being 4 college hockey teams from outside Illinois..
                      This quote by the Park District Superintendent seems ambitious. They'd better match that with an equally ambitious media marketing campaign or I can't see it either. According to Kelly, Soldier Field will be mobbed with college hockey fans:

“Do I think this could pave the way to a future NHL (Winter Classic)? I certainly think so,” Park District general superintendent and CEO Michael Kelly said. “I think we’re going to pack this place. I think this, at least for one day, will rival a Bears game. I could easily see 57,000, 62,000 people in this stadium going nuts...I’d put us up against anybody in the country — one, as a hockey town; two, as the proper venue for hockey in Chicago.”
                      Last edited by HarleyMC; 07-16-2012, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                        I think it's best to wait and see with Mike Reilly and the other guys coming in from the BCHL. Players coming into the WCHA from the BCHL have been known to struggle in recent years. Do they even teach D in the BCHL!!??
                        We've seen a few slow starts out of the BCHL. Other teams have had different experiences...Travis Zajac and Brady Murray each moved up to the NHL after just two extremely prolific years with UND. So I think it depends on the guy. Of the three Reilly's, Mike seems to be the one with the most star potential. We'll see.

At times, Marshall did have his share of breakdowns. But unless I'm forgetting someone, he had the second most talent (after Rau) of any Gopher frosh last year. I was truly dazzled by some of his moves. I bet we see him qback the second pplay this year and he could be groomed to fill in for Schmidt next year.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post

Jordy Christian comes to mind. He had about the same point totals as Reilly in the BCHL (84), but avg. only about 9 pts./season in 4 yrs. with SCSU. Even Joey Laleggia (Defense-DU), named the 2011-12 WCHA Rookie of the Year, recorded a 50% drop in all scoring categories in his WCHA pt. totals from the BCHL. The extreme example might be Matt Francis. He also had basically the same pt. totals as Reilly in the BCHL. He played over 40 games for SCSU, but never scored a goal in the WCHA.

Marshall had a decent season and has a year of experience in D1. Unless a player really bombs their first year, Lucia's style is to honor their previous season's hard work and commitment and give them selection priority over incoming frosh. It's hard to determine how well Marshall might perform at forward. With the demand for speed, skill and hockey intelligence in the WCHA, the transition from D to F is a helluva lot more difficult than how it looks on TV.

This quote by the Park District Superintendent seems ambitious. They'd better match that with an equally ambitious media marketing campaign or I can't see it either. According to Kelly, Soldier Field will be mobbed with college hockey fans:
                          I'd take LaLeggia's numbers out of Reilly in a heart beat . Or Justin Schultz's numbers. I don't think Reilly's numbers were a complete mirage. But I agree with your general point that the numbers put up in the BCHL don't always translate.

And I think the transition from D to forward is much easier than you think (vice versa not so much), but it's a moot point as I don't see Lucia moving him to forward right away either.

However, if both Reilly and Skjei make compelling cases to be in the lineup (and as incoming freshman defensemen that is always a big if), I think it's a very intriguing idea.
                          Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 07-16-2012, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Late the the thread title discussion, but this would be my suggestion:

"Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread: There IS such a thing as the Bjugey Man!"
                            "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                              I'll have to have my kid ask him if he is back at BSM camp this week. My kid is in the BSM summer camp and Chris was there last week.

Comment

Obviously numbers are going to drop a healthy amount given the BCHL plays 50% more games during the season and it is about a step and a half down from the WCHA. But if Reilly is capable of beating LaLeggia's numbers from a year before, I don't see any reason to be too concerned about him. He's done well two years in a row at the Columbus prospect camp as well.

If Holl doesn't really step it up this off-season, I think he is going to be losing minutes in a big way to a kid like Reilly. Reilly is a better player and more ready for college than Holl ever was. Reilly isn't a bruiser either but he seems to make smarter choices and I think he plays with more confidence than what Holl does. I know MG could get frustrated by Holl's play last season and I'd bet he'll have a quick hook if the same stuff happens this season.
                                University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X