This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gopher 2012 offseason thread

Zach Budish tantalizes devoted Illinois college hockey fans and coils off a sizzling 5 hole wrist shot during the Hockey City Classic announcement at Soldier Field on Wed. Will more Flatlanders from Illinois show up for the games? Maybe...I'm still puzzled on the marketing concept behind this location.

*****http://i594.***********.com/albums/tt28/harleymc1/BudishinChiTown.jpg******
    *courtesy of Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
      I wish someone would post a good pic of the new scoreboard. Why doesn't Jup get on that?
      Here you go!! Notice the lasers on the bottom. AND we're already beating Ohio State 5-1 (of course, no big deal Ohio St. always sucks at hockey). This is what it will look like. Apparently the Mooch won't get its board until after the William's board is installed sometime next month. Age before beauty I guess.

*****http://i594.***********.com/albums/tt28/harleymc1/scoreboard.jpg******
      Last edited by HarleyMC; 07-11-2012, 10:32 PM.

Comment

That has been out for a while, it is a rendering.
        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Rumor has it Jake Guentzel will not be recruited by his dad. Supposedly, for what ever reason Mike doesn't want to coach his son. Thanks Harley. Sorry Mike.
          Last edited by 4four4; 07-12-2012, 10:59 AM.
          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Interesting takes on Bjugstad and Rau on this thread about the Florida Panthers development camp:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1222489

- Bjugstad is described as a "man among boys" and dominating the prospect camp. Looks better than Huberdeau even. This makes me think that we should be prepared to see him sign with the Panthers and announce he is not returning to the Gophers. If he does return to the Gophers for this season, it sounds like he is fully healthy and ready to dominate.

- Rau is mentioned a few times in that thread as well. Sounds like he is having a good camp. I think we'll see an even better Kyle Rau in 2012-2013, and he was already pretty good as a freshman.

- In other Florida Panthers news, they signed Peter Mueller. Not sure if this necessarily means that Bjugstad has less of a chance of making the Panthers this year ....

Comment

Originally posted by UND92UMNLaw99 View Post
              Interesting takes on Bjugstad and Rau on this thread about the Florida Panthers development camp:

- Bjugstad is described as a "man among boys" and dominating the prospect camp. Looks better than Huberdeau even. This makes me think that we should be prepared to see him sign with the Panthers and announce he is not returning to the Gophers. If he does return to the Gophers for this season, it sounds like he is fully healthy and ready to dominate.

- Rau is mentioned a few times in that thread as well. Sounds like he is having a good camp. I think we'll see an even better Kyle Rau in 2012-2013, and he was already pretty good as a freshman.

- In other Florida Panthers news, they signed Peter Mueller. Not sure if this necessarily means that Bjugstad has less of a chance of making the Panthers this year ....
              Nice. Here's a couple of other highlights:

Scrimage 1:

First half over.. 2-0 white.. Goal and assist by Bjugstad. Beaulivillier with other goal.. Rau, Trocheck, Matheson all looked solid

3-0 Bjugstad with another goal.. #puttingonaclinic

And Britain on white has been great .. Id say best red play has been Rau

But there was no one even close to nick bjugstad. It wasnt even fair for the other kids. He literally and figuratively towered over everyone. He was a man amongst boys. The play he made at the end of first scrimmage where he stole puck and blasted a wrist shot for a goal 20 feet out gave me chills. This is the center the panthers have needed since its inception. Remarkable.

Scrimage 2:

Best players of the first period, 0-0..
              Bjugstad still..
              Wade Megan and Steven Hodges both really impressing me..
              Brittain very solid..
              Matheson is gonna be really good

Bjugstad could easily have 2 right now of not for a few big saves from Volken

Post camp grades from one participant:

Development camp grades, not based on potential overall skill, but just on this weeks performance, in my opinion...

11 (top rated prospect) Jonathan Huberdeau: B. I was looking for him to dominate more, we know his skill set, but his skating didn't seem too great and didn't really make a difference on the ice like I hoped.. Sort of like in preseason last season, you didn't really notice him, then he got the puck and made something happen.. I think he definitely still needs to gain weight.

39 Nick Bjugstad: A+. Before this week Huberdeau was our clear cut #1 prospect, now I'm not so certain of that.. Not based on Huberdeau being downgraded, but because this kid just has IT. His puck protection is absolutely unreal, you CANT take the puck off his stick, has good shot, plays defensive and physical. Had a pretty big hit on Petrovic.

53 Josh Birkholz: B. Solid camp for him.. Seemed to be one of the more vocal leaders out on the ice, joking around with Hubs and co, which is a good sign because I know he's been known to have attitude problems. Really great shot, quick release, very accurate. Probably a long shot, but just one of those guys I've always like the potential of.

98 Kyle Rau: B+. Very solid camp, played against Bjugstad the whole time, played pretty physical.. Had a nice full speed hip check on Matheson yesterday, was really nice. No scoring, except in shootouts, but he created chances with his speed and tenacity.

Nice write up. Agreed about Bjugstad. I thought some of you were overrating him a bit, but seeing him in real life really changed my mind. He's such a beast and definitely looked better than Huberdeau, today imo (or at least more dominant.)
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                Rumor has it Jake Guentzel will not be recruited by his dad. Supposedly, for what ever reason Mark doesn't want to coach his son.
                Tell Mark, Mike thinks it's a good idea too!

Originally posted by UND92UMNLaw99 View Post

Tallon has already gone on record stating Huberdeau (19) has nothing more to prove in juniors. Because he's under 20 he can't play in the AHL or ECHL. Despite whatever happened in development camp the Panthers know what this kid can do at 19, he had an amazing 225 pts. in 136 games last season (inc. playoffs). Tallon is very high on Hub. and I suspect he'll get his dream contract after training camp in Sept. Now with the acquisition of Mueller, the probability of B-jugs returning to the Gophers increases.
                Last edited by HarleyMC; 07-12-2012, 01:55 AM.

Comment

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...071212aaa.html

Enough said.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                    Wow. Glass stays where it is then. Nice.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      Wow. Glass stays where it is then. Nice.
                      Awesome!!
                      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Awesome!!
                        Yes. Very awesome the glass stays put.

Thought this might top it off a little but I guess it was starting pretty high.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                          Yes. Very awesome the glass stays put.

Thought this might top it off a little but I guess it was starting pretty high.
                          I bumped it up. I had to.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

WooOoooOOOOOoooOOOO!!!11!
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              I bumped it up. I had to.
                              Sweet! I wonder if any other player could impact the glass 10% by himself. Can't think of one....

Comment

Rumor has it Jake Guentzel will not be recruited by his dad. Supposedly, for what ever reason Mike doesn't want to coach his son. Thanks Harley. Sorry Mike.
                                It's not a rumor. We've been discussing it for months. The reason would be no different than what Lucia went through with Mario. They might be talented kids but there is also the increased chance for locker room strife when a coach's kid is on the team. No sense in going down that road when they can land plenty of high quality players as it is.
                                University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X