This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gopher 2012 offseason thread

Could it be a development in the Wild that gives Haula a chance for 4 years with the Gophs?

I've never been too impressed by what has always seemed to be an inept Wild team (esp with the potential advantages of being in Minnesota). They might have turned the corner on this one.

Leaves the Wild with a local flavor in its top players:
    Parise...Home: Minnesota, College: North Dakota
    Heatly...Home: Germany, College: Wisconsin
    Cullen...Home: Minnesota, College: SCSU
    Suter...Home: Wisconsin, College: Wisconsin
    Gilbert...Home: Minnesota, College: Wisconsin

With a system that includes kids either from or playing college hockey in MN, WI or ND in Prosser, Dowell, Fontaine, Lucia, Haula, Rau, Genoway, and Seeler.
    Last edited by 5mn_Major; 07-05-2012, 03:43 PM.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      Could it be a development in the Wild that gives Haula a chance for 4 years with the Gophs?

I've never been too impressed by what has always seemed to be an inept Wild team (esp with the potential advantages of being in Minnesota). They might have turned the corner on this one.

With a system that includes kids either from or playing college hockey in MN, WI or ND in Prosser, Dowell, Fontaine, Lucia, Haula, Rau, Genoway, and Seeler.
      I don't pretend to understand the ins and outs of pro hockey all that well, but Haula's number of years in the Maroon and Gold seems to me to come down to if he/how much he stands out in college hockey next year, and/or how badly he wants to start getting paid.

I will agree that it's pretty cool to see all the regional NCAA players. It will make it much easier for this college hockey fan to start paying closer attention to the NHL.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
        I don't pretend to understand the ins and outs of pro hockey all that well, but Haula's number of years in the Maroon and Gold seems to me to come down to if he/how much he stands out in college hockey next year, and/or how badly he wants to start getting paid.
        Of course. But loading up the Wild's lineup and salary cap is welcome if (and its a big if) it gives Haula even a bit of a chance to stay.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Roman on Bjugstad's decision process.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
          Twenty red lights in his honor
          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Hmmm...what will B-jugs do? Dave Tallon has mentioned the Panthers are eager to add more offense. However, with other excellent offensive prospects ready to make the jump, B-jugs may have to stand in line in the AHL first before getting his shot at the big show. The blog writer below speculates B-jugs will mostly likely play for the Gophers next season. I concur.

Jonathan Huberdeau

This kid is simply amazing. The Panthers took him in the 1st round (3rd overall) in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. He's been refining his chops with the Saint John Sea Dogs of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League for the last couple of years and may be ready for the NHL next season. Last season Huberdeau scored a total of 72 points in only 37 games played. In the 2010-11 he blistered the Q with 105 points in 67 games played. Huberdeau could very well be the future of the franchise if he can keep up the pace and I fully expect to see him on the ice in South Florida next season.

Nick Bjugstad

The pride of the University of Minnesota will probably play for the Gophers again next season. Bjugstad is still in college but it looks like he's got a bright future in the NHL. Bjugstad is a big power center at 6-5 and 211 pounds. Last year he led the Gophers with 25 goals scored in 40 games. Not only can he drive the net his size allows him to be a force on defense as well.

Quinton Howden

Howden has been on fire for the last few years. He's spent the last five seasons with the Moosejaw Warriors of the Western Hockey League where he tallied 65 points in only 52 games played in the 2011-12 season. It seems that Howden has the talent to make next season's team but he'll still have to earn that right at the Panthers' camp.
            Top Prospects to Watch

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post

Nice synopsis 5mn! Is there an NHL team with more WCHA players? But just based upon PR potential alone, the Wild could certainly use a home town favorite: Haula, Rau or Lucia

If Mario's college career goes well, maybe Mario will be that future star in a couple years. Mario Lucia finished the 2011-2012 season with 121 points in both the regular season and playoffs and helped lead the Penticton Vees to a 4-3 win over the Woodstock Slammers to claim the 2012 RBC Cup as the national champions of Canadian Junior "A" hockey. He was third in the regular season with 94 points and had 27 points in 26 playoff games. Now THAT'S a trophy:

*****http://i594.***********.com/albums/tt28/harleymc1/4ef64c969d7511e1ab011231381052c0_7.jpg******
            Last edited by HarleyMC; 07-07-2012, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Ok, I have asked what Nick will do. From what I have been told it comes down to playing time at the NHL level.
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                Of course. But loading up the Wild's lineup and salary cap is welcome if (and its a big if) it gives Haula even a bit of a chance to stay.
                Depends on whether they close the loophole (technically it isn't a loophole, but I don't know what else to call it) that allows college players to become free agents if they played a year of juniors first. If they don't change that, the Wild will certainly try and sign Haula after this season to prevent any possibility of losing him.

Comment

And FYI... Rau is a Florida Panthers prospect, not a Minnesota Wild prospect.

Comment

FYI...Chad, not Kyle.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                      Ok, I have asked what Nick will do. From what I have been told it comes down to playing time at the NHL level.
                      I think that's widely accepted as the situation.
                      The encouraging news for Gopher fans is that Florida seems like they will be pretty honest with Bjugstad, and Bjugstad has enough ties and desire to return to MN so that he won't be tempted by hypotheticals and longshots. Or so it seems.
                      Last edited by Stauber1; 07-08-2012, 01:49 AM.

Comment

No contract offered to B-jugs...

Prospect Nick Bjugstad, who had a solid camp this week, firmly denied a published report Friday that said he had been offered an NHL entry-level contract from the Panthers.

"We were just talking about staying or going, but there was no contract involved," said Bjugstad, 19. "I didn't turn down anything yet".

"I'm going to sit down with my family and advisors back home and it probably won't be too long from today for a decision, probably later next week or maybe two weeks."
                        - South Florida Sun Sentinel, July, 7, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                          Depends on whether they close the loophole (technically it isn't a loophole, but I don't know what else to call it) that allows college players to become free agents if they played a year of juniors first. If they don't change that, the Wild will certainly try and sign Haula after this season to prevent any possibility of losing him.
                          Good call. And it wouldn't be too surprising after all the Wild pickups and second rated farm system that Haula would accept.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                            I think that's widely accepted as the situation.
                            The encouraging news for Gopher fans is that Florida seems like they will be pretty honest with Bjugstad, and Bjugstad has enough ties and desire to return to MN so that he won't be tempted by hypotheticals and longshots. Or so it seems.
                            Translation: They have nothing in common with the dope running the Islanders.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                            Twenty red lights in his honor
                            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

*****http://i594.***********.com/albums/tt28/harleymc1/LuciaandMac.jpg******
                              "No, I left my DQ water bottle at home, but guess what? The Mac can hold 2.5 gallons of Gatorade, just enough to get me through 18 holes".

Comment

Zach Budish will be at Soldier Field on Wednesday to help announce the Hockey City Classic, which will feature Minnesota vs. Wisconsin. Who's goin'?

Comment

Working...
                                X