This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gopher 2012 offseason thread

Dog day afternoons demand pounding sand. Must have patience on Kloos. So here's another piece of on draft recruits:

The NHL draft starts Friday night in Pittsburgh, with the subsequent rounds finishing up over the weekend. Last year in St Paul 15 Minnesotans were selected, but for the first time since 2001, nobody from the Land O' 10,000 Lakes were taken in the first round. This year there will be at least one in the first round, and, per Roman, there's 21 Minnesotans ranked in the NHL Central Scouting's list of the top 230 North American skaters and goalies (they also release a similar list for European players), so we could see more than last year's 15 selected.

It's a stronger year for draft-eligible Minnesotans, and yet another strong one for draft-eligible future Gophers, as five skaters who will one day wear Maroon and Gold are ranked in the top 188. No surprise, really, as every year the U has as many or more drafted players on their roster than any other school. Here are the five future Gophers, as ranked by NHL Central Scouting:

19. Brady Skjei, D, Lakeville (U.S. development team)
    Pronouced "Skay", he already has NHL size at 6'3 and 200 pounds, and yet what scouts love most is his skating. Per Michael Russo's writeup on him in the Strib, some have even called him the best skater available in the draft. So why on earth is this kid being touted as mid-to-late first round pick instead of top 5 or top 10? His offensive game is still pretty raw, as he posted 22 points in 56 games playing for the USA National Development last year, and he isn't very physical. He'll get plenty of opportunity with the Gophers to work on his offensive game at least, as he should jump into the top two pairings right away and push for time on the top power play unit. Yes, the Gophs return everybody from last year's surprisingly good defensive corps, but they don't have anybody with Skjei's skill set. If you're a Gopher Hockey fan you should be VERY excited to see what he can do this fall. For more on Skjei, check out Light House Hockey's draft profile of him.

87. AJ Michaelson, C, Apple Valley (Waterloo, USHL)
    The former Apple Valley star will join the Gophers this fall, and will battle for that third line center spot left vacant by Taylor Mattson's graduation. Michaelson is a sniper with good scoring touch, size at 6'0 and 185, and is a good skater as well. The trick for him is putting it all together, as he managed just 6 goals and 14 assists in 53 games with Waterloo of the USHL. Sounds a bit like Seth Ambroz from last year, who was another very talented kid who couldn't find consistency in junior, but we'll see how Michaelson looks in a Gopher sweater this season.

147. Jake Bischoff, D, Grand Rapids (Grand Rapids HS)
    Bischoff is an excellent prospect, a smooth skater with good offensive potential and takes care of things in his own end. He's not overly physical at about 5'11 or 6'0 but definitely projects as a solid high D1 D-man. But with Minnesota's ridiculous depth on D, I'm guessing he likely heads off to Omaha this season. Not to play for the UNO Mavericks, but for Omaha's USHL squad, where he should get some good experience while waiting for his chance to play for the U.

173. Justin Kloos, C, Lakeville (Lakeville South HS)
    So stop me if this sounds familiar... Minnesota's Mr. Hockey is small in stature, but large in heart and talent. Like Kyle Rau in 2010-11 at Eden Prairie, Kloos was named the 2012 Minnesota Mr Hockey after a simply dominant season for Lakeville South, racking up 41 goals and 62 assists in just 31 games, a tally that actually bested Rau's 41 goals and 40 assists in his senior season. At 5'9 he's undersized, and like Rau last year, he's likely a 5th or 6th rounder because of it, but it doesn't mean he can't make an impact with the Gophers right away. Not to say he's going to walk into the top line and be named a freshman All-American like Rau did, but Kloos is definitely going to bring some offense to Dinkytown. A couple of inches taller than Rau, he has better wheels and like him a great hockey IQ, but I'm not sure anybody will be as fiesty and play with that edge the way Rau did last season. Still, look for Kloos to compete for a spot on the third line and perhaps even the second line into the season to play a year of juniors before joining the Gophers in 2013, and like Rau, could make a team drafting him in the later rounds very happy they did.

188. Lou Nanne, LW, Edina (Edina HS)
    Lou Nanne in a Gopher sweater? Seems about right, doesn't it? The grandson of former Gopher and North Star player, GM and president won the AA title two years ago with Edina, and had another strong season last year. He may go later rounds if drafted at all, but with as many connections as his grand-pappy has, it wouldn't be surprising to see somebody scoop him up somewhere in the last round or so. The 5'11 wing is very young for his draft class, and still has his senior season to go before possibly joining the Gophers in the fall of 2013.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post

Lou Nanne in a Gopher sweater? Seems about right, doesn't it? The grandson of former Gopher and North Star player, GM and president won the AA title two years ago with Edina, and had another strong season last year. He may go later rounds if drafted at all, but with as many connections as his grand-pappy has, it wouldn't be surprising to see somebody scoop him up somewhere in the last round or so. The 5'11 wing is very young for his draft class, and still has his senior season to go before possibly joining the Gophers in the fall of 2013.
      Also his father Marty Nanne played at Minnesota for 3 years and I believe 3 years of IHL hockey.
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        Dog day afternoons demand pounding sand. Must have patience on Kloos. So here's another piece of on draft recruits:

The NHL draft starts Friday night in Pittsburgh, with the subsequent rounds finishing up over the weekend. Last year in St Paul 15 Minnesotans were selected, but for the first time since 2001, nobody from the Land O' 10,000 Lakes were taken in the first round. This year there will be at least one in the first round, and, per Roman, there's 21 Minnesotans ranked in the NHL Central Scouting's list of the top 230 North American skaters and goalies (they also release a similar list for European players), so we could see more than last year's 15 selected.

It's a stronger year for draft-eligible Minnesotans, and yet another strong one for draft-eligible future Gophers, as five skaters who will one day wear Maroon and Gold are ranked in the top 188. No surprise, really, as every year the U has as many or more drafted players on their roster than any other school. Here are the five future Gophers, as ranked by NHL Central Scouting:

19. Brady Skjei, D, Lakeville (U.S. development team)
        Pronouced "Skay", he already has NHL size at 6'3 and 200 pounds, and yet what scouts love most is his skating. Per Michael Russo's writeup on him in the Strib, some have even called him the best skater available in the draft. So why on earth is this kid being touted as mid-to-late first round pick instead of top 5 or top 10? His offensive game is still pretty raw, as he posted 22 points in 56 games playing for the USA National Development last year, and he isn't very physical. He'll get plenty of opportunity with the Gophers to work on his offensive game at least, as he should jump into the top two pairings right away and push for time on the top power play unit. Yes, the Gophs return everybody from last year's surprisingly good defensive corps, but they don't have anybody with Skjei's skill set. If you're a Gopher Hockey fan you should be VERY excited to see what he can do this fall. For more on Skjei, check out Light House Hockey's draft profile of him.

87. AJ Michaelson, C, Apple Valley (Waterloo, USHL)
        The former Apple Valley star will join the Gophers this fall, and will battle for that third line center spot left vacant by Taylor Mattson's graduation. Michaelson is a sniper with good scoring touch, size at 6'0 and 185, and is a good skater as well. The trick for him is putting it all together, as he managed just 6 goals and 14 assists in 53 games with Waterloo of the USHL. Sounds a bit like Seth Ambroz from last year, who was another very talented kid who couldn't find consistency in junior, but we'll see how Michaelson looks in a Gopher sweater this season.

Bischoff is an excellent prospect, a smooth skater with good offensive potential and takes care of things in his own end. He's not overly physical at about 5'11 or 6'0 but definitely projects as a solid high D1 D-man. But with Minnesota's ridiculous depth on D, I'm guessing he likely heads off to Omaha this season. Not to play for the UNO Mavericks, but for Omaha's USHL squad, where he should get some good experience while waiting for his chance to play for the U.

173. Justin Kloos, C, Lakeville (Lakeville South HS)
        So stop me if this sounds familiar... Minnesota's Mr. Hockey is small in stature, but large in heart and talent. Like Kyle Rau in 2010-11 at Eden Prairie, Kloos was named the 2012 Minnesota Mr Hockey after a simply dominant season for Lakeville South, racking up 41 goals and 62 assists in just 31 games, a tally that actually bested Rau's 41 goals and 40 assists in his senior season. At 5'9 he's undersized, and like Rau last year, he's likely a 5th or 6th rounder because of it, but it doesn't mean he can't make an impact with the Gophers right away. Not to say he's going to walk into the top line and be named a freshman All-American like Rau did, but Kloos is definitely going to bring some offense to Dinkytown. A couple of inches taller than Rau, he has better wheels and like him a great hockey IQ, but I'm not sure anybody will be as fiesty and play with that edge the way Rau did last season. Still, look for Kloos to compete for a spot on the third line and perhaps even the second line into the season to play a year of juniors before joining the Gophers in 2013, and like Rau, could make a team drafting him in the later rounds very happy they did.

Awesome! Thanks for posting this.
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

"The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades"

Comment

Where's Vinny?

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post

Jake is only a Senior in HS this year. He'll likely play this year for Grand Rapids and play Juniors next year. He's projected to join the Gophs in 2014, unless too many D men jumping early.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                Where's Vinny?
                I don't follow him that closely, but I'll guess he's at home right now. (Maybe not on a Friday night?)

As for the draft, I think he's a 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                  As for the draft, I think he's a 2013.
                  Ok, didn't realize. For some reason I thought he and his cousin were of the same draft age.

Comment

Skjei goes 28th, just making the first round.

Early in 6th round now. I would hope to see Bischoff picked soon, maybe Buffalo?

Disappointed to see few MN HS players picked at this point. I realize some Minnesotans appear in on other teams, but not the strongest year.

Comment

Skjei goes 28th, just making the first round.

Early in 6th round now. I would hope to see Bischoff picked soon, maybe Buffalo?

Disappointed to see few MN HS players picked at this point. I realize some Minnesotans appear in on other teams, but not the strongest year.
                      Bischoff to NYI (4th pick in 7th round)
                      Nanne to the Wild (7th in 7)

Comment

Islanders wouldn't be the team I would have chosen (for any Gopher player), but I'm glad Jake got picked.

Is Nanne that good, or was this partly a "there may be few players who rank slightly better but Lou has been good for the Wild so lets pick him" sort of pick? I haven't seen him so I am not judging.

Comment

Michelson and Kloos undrafted? Kloos doesn't surprise me based on size. But AJ was like 87th on list.

Comment

Michelson and Kloos undrafted? Kloos doesn't surprise me based on size. But AJ was like 87th on list.
                            In quick pass through, didn't see Johnson from Hibbing either, unless he's listed as on a different team from HS.

Comment

One last post (maybe). Refresh my crappy memory. What is the situation with Mike Reilly? Was he drafted last year? Where was he taken?

BTW, Congrats Jake, and other future Gophers drafted!

Comment

Reilly was drafted last year.

Kloos is more of a Jack Connolly situation. Great skill but going to be overlooked based on size. It'll be interesting how much the size factor will hurt Cammarata next year. He'll get drafted but not nearly as high as his skill level would typically dictate. Which is good for the Gophers in the long run.

I am not all surprised on Michaelson and I have talking about the possibility of late round pick or worse. There were a couple of GPLers last fall that talked as if he'd still be an early pick (didn't want to agree with my comments). Although I get the feeling one of them was either family or a family friend. The kid has great skating ability but the reality is he needs to bring more to the table (and do it consistently) if he ever wants to make it far on the next level.
                                Last edited by Hammy; 06-23-2012, 01:12 PM.
                                University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X