X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gopher 2012 offseason thread

BSU's AD Goeb has a few thoughts on MN cup and an upcoming MN visit to BSU:

Minnesota Cup

Goeb is working together with Minnesota’s four other Division I hockey schools, all currently in the WCHA, to create an annual “Minnesota Cup” midseason tournament at the Xcel Energy Center starting in 2013-14.

Minnesota would play in the four-team tournament each year with the other schools (Bemidji State, St. Cloud State, Minnesota-Duluth and Mankato) participating on a rotating basis.

Goeb said the Cup is “going to happen,” but Bemidji State is tentatively the first team out of the rotation and not expected to participate the first year.

“I think it’s going to be a lot like the Final Five in many ways,” Goeb said. “I think it’s a win-win for hockey and a win-win for Bemidji State with everything going on in the WCHA.”

Goeb said there is a tentative plan to have Minnesota play a non-conference series at the Sanford Center in 2013-14.

“It (Minnesota Cup) works for us,” Goeb said. “We’re trying to make it very attractive. That’s why it would be important that Minnesota comes here. That needs to happen. It’s good for our fans and us to have Minnesota come here if we’re not in it that first year.”

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
    Greetings, Gophers.

So, there's a very, very high likelihood that I'll be meandering through Minneapolis before heading toward East Lansing to start a vacation that I have coming up in October. And, with apparent good timing on my side, it looks as though I'll be getting into town near the second weekend in October.

I think you might see where I'm going with this: I'd like to try to scratch a bulletpoint off my college hockey bucket list and see a game (or, two, if the Thursday-Friday rumors become reality) at Mariucci when my Spartans are in town.

I have many questions, but I'll squeeze my list down to this:

1.) What's the likelihood of me nabbing a single SRO ticket (or, heck, an actual seat) through Minnesota's athletics website for each game, say, one month or two months prior to gameday? When do tickets normally go on sale through the Minnesota athletics website?
    2.) What are tickets at Mariucci going for nowadays? Still around the $30-$35 range? How much will parking set me back, and do you have any lot recommendations?
    3.) Do you have any recommendations for lodging near the rink? I'll be honest: I'm looking for something on the cheap. Basically, I just need a bed to sleep in and a WiFi connection to search the USCHO forums on.

Oh, and any other pre- and/or post-game Minneapolis-St. Paul-related recommendations would be fine, too.
    Should probably see Mall of America (as cliche as that is). In fact, if I were in town for a day, I'd probably stay by the U...and longer and I'd probably stay down in Bloomington at a cheap place as you can spend quite a bit of time there. Of course, the chain of lakes in the west part of the city or the Missippippi in the east are both great.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
      FSN needs to change the entire Gopher broadcast team. I like how Hankinson does games and wish they'd use him instead of Gorg. I don't know if he has the time/desire to be the full time analyst but I like listening to him far more.
      You got half of your wish. The Wild hired LaPlanta.
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        BSU's AD Goeb has a few thoughts on MN cup and an upcoming MN visit to BSU:

Minnesota Cup

Goeb is working together with Minnesota’s four other Division I hockey schools, all currently in the WCHA, to create an annual “Minnesota Cup” midseason tournament at the Xcel Energy Center starting in 2013-14.

Minnesota would play in the four-team tournament each year with the other schools (Bemidji State, St. Cloud State, Minnesota-Duluth and Mankato) participating on a rotating basis.

Goeb said the Cup is “going to happen,” but Bemidji State is tentatively the first team out of the rotation and not expected to participate the first year.

“I think it’s going to be a lot like the Final Five in many ways,” Goeb said. “I think it’s a win-win for hockey and a win-win for Bemidji State with everything going on in the WCHA.”

Goeb said there is a tentative plan to have Minnesota play a non-conference series at the Sanford Center in 2013-14.

“It (Minnesota Cup) works for us,” Goeb said. “We’re trying to make it very attractive. That’s why it would be important that Minnesota comes here. That needs to happen. It’s good for our fans and us to have Minnesota come here if we’re not in it that first year.”

Sounds like a good "tourney" to go watch at the X every year, I'll be there.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
          You got half of your wish. The Wild hired LaPlanta.
          Any rumors as to who is on the short list for play-by-play?
          "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." - Frederic Bastiat

Comment

Originally posted by MinnFan View Post
            Any rumors as to who is on the short list for play-by-play?
            I haven't heard anything, I am guessing the door is wide open.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
              Sounds like a good "tourney" to go watch at the X every year, I'll be there.
              I heard it is replacing the current dodge classic for Gopher season ticket holders. Does anybody know if that is true? If so it will be a cool thing for Gophers fans because your team will be in it every year. As for me I won't go when my team isn't playing in and I bet other teams fans will probably be the same. It will be a good tourney, but it will never be like the WCHA final five.
              I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                I heard it is replacing the current dodge classic for Gopher season ticket holders. Does anybody know if that is true? If so it will be a cool thing for Gophers fans because your team will be in it every year. As for me I won't go when my team isn't playing in and I bet other teams fans will probably be the same. It will be a good tourney, but it will never be like the WCHA final five.
                I would bet it would replace the Dodge. I can't imagine fitting another tourney in like that.

If many of the teams had good seasons going, I could see how attendance in some years could rival WCHA, NCHC and BTHC tourneys depending on where they're held. If only it wasn't at holiday season.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

“@RomanStrib: Cammarata, a future Gopher, picked top rookie in USHL. More on Roman Empire blog at http://t.co/n7mcjL8V”

“@USHL: Taylor Cammarata has been named #USHL Rookie of the Year. Full story & video from @Cammy12Scores' standout rookie yr: http://t.co/VTdk4eHx”
                  Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 05-17-2012, 05:15 PM.
                  @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                  On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                  High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                    “@RomanStrib: Cammarata, a future Gopher, picked top rookie in USHL. More on Roman Empire blog at http://t.co/n7mcjL8V”

“@USHL: Taylor Cammarata has been named #USHL Rookie of the Year. Full story & video from @Cammy12Scores' standout rookie yr: http://t.co/VTdk4eHx”
                    @ 5'6"/145 lbs. (soaking wet) he'd be wise to hit the weight room or he's paint in D1 hockey regardless of what he does in the USHL.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                      that is so 2013.....

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                        @ 5'6"/145 lbs. (soaking wet) he'd be wise to hit the weight room or he's paint in D1 hockey regardless of what he does in the USHL.
                        Maybe he should transfer to BC.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          Maybe he should transfer to BC.
                          He wouldn't make the cut...too small.

Comment

Anyone remember what Nathan Gerbe weighed a week into being 17?
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

He wouldn't make the cut...too small.
                              You follow BC much?

Comment

He'll be fine.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X