X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gopher 2012 offseason thread

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Houghton is a cool place. I've been there a couple of times (non-hockey, believe it or not ) and enjoyed it a lot.

Some cool little bars/restaurants and of course, the KBC.
    Suomi's for breakfast, the Ambo, the Dog, the DT in a lesser extent, although Long Island pitchers for about $8/50-cent wings on Thu night is a plus....

The Library is also very good.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Suomi's for breakfast, the Ambo, the Dog, the DT in a lesser extent, although Long Island pitchers for about $8/50-cent wings on Thu night is a plus....

The Library is also very good.
      I really enjoyed The Library and the view of the water although it was July/August and the view didn't include 16 ft snow drifts.

Also - I assume the little ski hill is still going across the water, so bring your skis if the series is in season and you want to kill Saturday on the slopes.

Comment

I really enjoyed The Library and the view of the water although it was July/August and the view didn't include 16 ft snow drifts.

Also - I assume the little ski hill is still going across the water, so bring your skis if the series is in season and you want to kill Saturday on the slopes.
        I don't ski, I just eat, drink, and watch hockey. And cuss out the Yooper Looper Piece Of Sh* Abortion intersection.

And as for the Commie's comment, the Gay Bar isn't bad. The black sand (?) beaches are interesting, but dunno if snow will be covering them for the series. Also, Eagle River Falls is kinda cool. Both are a short jaunt from Houghton.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Suomi's for breakfast...
          Eff the Fins. (Channeling my inner-JDUB as a Dane)

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            Eff the Fins. (Channeling my inner-JDUB as a Dane)
            Hey, it's good food. And also, well played.

Comment

I don't ski, I just eat, drink, and watch hockey. And cuss out the Yooper Looper Piece Of Sh* Abortion intersection.

And as for the Commie's comment, the Gay Bar isn't bad. The black sand (?) beaches are interesting, but dunno if snow will be covering them for the series. Also, Eagle River Falls is kinda cool. Both are a short jaunt from Houghton.
              Do you mean the Gay Bar in the town of Gay? I thought he (Bakunin) was just incredibly unimaginative in his rip on me.

Gay was a weird place. We were up the coast (from Gay) at Brunette Beach, and wanted to find some lunch. When you look at towns on a map (paper map) you make some assumptions and in the U.P. those assumptions are often erroneous. Up there, town doesn't mean that there will even be inhabited houses, let alone a restaurant or even more rare, gas station

Our arrival in Gay was met with a sign near their town sign saying something to the effect of "If you mess with our town sign, we'll kill you." That might not be 100% accurate, but it's close. I can imagine that it's been stolen or messed with a lot over the years. Imagine playing them in high school sports. Gotta be brutal.

There was also what appeared to be the U.P. equivalent of a mortorcycle gang - a bunch of creepy hillbilly teenagers on atvs. No restaurant that we wanted to try being with my wife and kids in hillbilly country, so we left.

Went back to Brunette Beach only to have the atv gang show up eventually. That's my Gay story.
              Last edited by Gurtholfin; 04-28-2012, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Yes I meant the town of Gay. At the melmac/HuskyNation wedding last summer, bbdl/BPH were so kind as to give us a brief tour of the UP. Learned a lot about the history and visited some towns (Gay, Eagle River, Calumet), and saw some sights. I will say the churches (outside view, drive by only) were beautiful and I was amazed at how well the abandoned ones held up over the years.

On my previous Gopher trips, I stuck to Houghton and generally just had fun and hung out. So this excursion was quite fun.

Comment

Yes I meant the town of Gay. At the melmac/HuskyNation wedding last summer, bbdl/BPH were so kind as to give us a brief tour of the UP. Learned a lot about the history and visited some towns (Gay, Eagle River, Calumet), and saw some sights. I will say the churches (outside view, drive by only) were beautiful and I was amazed at how well the abandoned ones held up over the years.

On my previous Gopher trips, I stuck to Houghton and generally just had fun and hung out. So this excursion was quite fun.
                  We actually spent a week one Summer in the Keewenaw (most of it at the Mountain Lodge up by Copper Harbor) and loved it. Been everywhere vacationing in the U.P. now and the Keweenaw was the whole family's favorite.

The church district in Calumet was very cool. Eagle River was nothing like Eagle River, WI. Lots of cool and diverse beaches up there and only one freaking gas station north of Calumet and that dude in Copper Harbor puts you over the barrel for it.

Munising gets our honorable mention in the U.P.

Comment

We actually spent a week one Summer in the Keewenaw (most of it at the Mountain Lodge up by Copper Harbor) and loved it. Been everywhere vacationing in the U.P. now and the Keweenaw was the whole family's favorite.

The church district in Calumet was very cool. Eagle River was nothing like Eagle River, WI. Lots of cool and diverse beaches up there and only one freaking gas station north of Calumet and that dude in Copper Harbor puts you over the barrel for it.

Munising gets our honorable mention in the U.P.
                    Yeah but WI sucks.

And heck, I was excited that Bruce's Crossing had a phone booth (first time up there). Rare sight nowadays, and given that I love cultural/societal niches, that was a treat for me.

Comment

Do you mean the Gay Bar in the town of Gay? I thought he (Bakunin) was just incredibly unimaginative in his rip on me.
                      Oh come on, you should know better than that, even if you are drunk on paint thinner and anally violating Bambi's dead mother.

Comment

Gay was a weird place. We were up the coast (from Gay) at Brunette Beach, and wanted to find some lunch. When you look at towns on a map (paper map) you make some assumptions and in the U.P. those assumptions are often erroneous. Up there, town doesn't mean that there will even be inhabited houses, let alone a restaurant or even more rare, gas station

Our arrival in Gay was met with a sign near their town sign saying something to the effect of "If you mess with our town sign, we'll kill you." That might not be 100% accurate, but it's close. I can imagine that it's been stolen or messed with a lot over the years. Imagine playing them in high school sports. Gotta be brutal.

There was also what appeared to be the U.P. equivalent of a mortorcycle gang - a bunch of creepy hillbilly teenagers on atvs. No restaurant that we wanted to try being with my wife and kids in hillbilly country, so we left.

Went back to Brunette Beach only to have the atv gang show up eventually. That's my Gay story.
                        Nice trip. You haven't lived until you go to the Gay Bar, buy a pink shirt and have your girlfriend set off the peepin' Tom alarm in the bathroom
                        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

No news, is good news, as far as offseasons go?

Comment

Dog days of summer compell me to post.

So graduating:

hansen jake
                            kremer jake
                            larson nick
                            matson taylor
                            miller joe
                            patterson kent
                            sacchetti nico

This leaves a very juicy lineup (knocking all pieces of wood within a mile):

ambroz seth SO
                            boyd travis SO
                            isackson christian SO
                            marshall ben SO
                            rau kyle SO
                            thompson blake SO
                            warning sam SO
                            budish zach JR
                            alt mark JR
                            bjugstad nick JR
                            condon nate JR
                            haula erik JR
                            holl justin JR
                            larson jared JR
                            parenteau jake JR
                            schmidt nate JR
                            serratore tom JR
                            shibrowski michael JR
                            student chris JR
                            helgeson seth SR

Recruits of:

Justin Kloos-F
                            AJ Michaelson-LC
                            Mike Reilly-LD
                            Brady Skjei-D
                            Adam Wilcox-G
                            Ryan Reilly-LC
                            Connor Reilly-LW

Anybody have any insights as to how the recruits are looking coming in?
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Kloos won't come in next year unless we have a departure.
                              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                                Kloos won't come in next year unless we have a departure.
                                Just one? 'Cause if that's the case, might as well get his jerseys printed. Maybe it won't be as bad as some initially thought, and so far so good for you guys, but there's no way you guys have nobody leave early.
                                tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Working...
                                X