X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gopher 2012 offseason thread

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
    I'm hoping it stays that way during my lifetime.
    Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    It's not. They have an outdoor game scheduled against Wisconsin in Chicago next February.
    Well, Tiggsy could end his life before next February and then his hope would come true.

Comment

• Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
      Well, Tiggsy could end his life before next February and then his hope would come true.
      Man, he must really hate outdoor games
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
        Anybody know when the last time the Gophers played an outdoor game?
        that is an interesting trivia question. Probably in the 1940's would be my guess.
        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
        Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
          It's not. They have an outdoor game scheduled against Wisconsin in Chicago next February.
          Who loses a home game for that? Or are they still playing full series in Madison and Minneapolis on top of this abortion?

Comment

What's the rationale behind playing what would have been one of the country's highest grossing games outdoors game in Chicago? Makes no sense.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
              I'm still holding out hope there is an earthquake or something else to prevent this really bad idea. I guess with it being so far away I have a pretty good reason not to go beyond the fact I think it's just stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                What's the rationale behind playing what would have been one of the country's highest grossing games outdoors game in Chicago? Makes no sense.
                Barry Alvarez. Need I say more?
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

ok I'll bite, why is playing outdoors such a tragic event that people get so bent by it?

I look at it as an opportunity for some young Gopher players, but that's me.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                    Highest grossing? Not so sure about that.

Talking with the arena manager at Mariucci, he told me that they consulted with UW a while back on costs to put on an outdoor game at TCF. They wanted to use the HOF game against Notre Dame this past season as an outdoor game. They found out that the last UW outdoor game at Camp Randal made about $8000 profit for UW. Apparently it costs a bundle to bring in a refrigerated system for those outdoor games. So MN decided against the outdoor game and moved the Notre Dame game back to Mariucci since they would make a lot more money.

I always figured that outdoor games would be a huge cash grab for schools, but talking to people who know their stuff.... This is just not the case. Maybe the game in Chicago will be different. Who knows.
                    Gopher Puck Live

Comment

Originally posted by Jupiter View Post

Talking with the arena manager at Mariucci, he told me that they consulted with UW a while back on costs to put on an outdoor game at TCF. They wanted to use the HOF game against Notre Dame this past season as an outdoor game. They found out that the last UW outdoor game at Camp Randal made about $8000 profit for UW. Apparently it costs a bundle to bring in a refrigerated system for those outdoor games. So MN decided against the outdoor game and moved the Notre Dame game back to Mariucci since they would make a lot more money.

I always figured that outdoor games would be a huge cash grab for schools, but talking to people who know their stuff.... This is just not the case. Maybe the game in Chicago will be different. Who knows.
                      Jup, you're talking net, he was talking gross. Of course net matters and gross doesn't, but still. . .

Comment

Maybe he just meant that the matchup would be high grossing in the regular setting (at either school) and that any outdoor setting would greatly reduce that amount (especially one not even in the same state as either participant)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jupiter View Post

They are playing more than one game in Chicago. I've heard that it will be at least a double-header, with possible opponents for the second game being Miami and Notre Dame.

Comment

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci...-sign-wild-now

Erik Haula, who led the University of Minnesota men's hockey team in scoring last season, will return to the team next season, Gophers coach Don Lucia said Thursday, April 19.

Haula, a sophomore who is a draft pick of the Minnesota Wild, is expected to play his junior season with the Gophers, according to Lucia.
                            Great news, now let's hope Bjugs comes back.

Comment

Originally posted by Jupiter View Post

Woo hoo! Glad to hear they're not going to have one here.

I think the first few were cash grabs. When it was still a novelty or when there was a record to be set at the Big House. All that is out the window now because the NHL does it every year and no one can match the Michigan record. So maybe this trend will die slowly. Especially since I've heard Ford Field didn't do so great and Madison didn't turn out so well either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                                Woo hoo! Glad to hear they're not going to have one here.

I think the first few were cash grabs. When it was still a novelty or when there was a record to be set at the Big House. All that is out the window now because the NHL does it every year and no one can match the Michigan record. So maybe this trend will die slowly. Especially since I've heard Ford Field didn't do so great and Madison didn't turn out so well either.
                                I'll bet money they eventually do one here. What I've heard is they are waiting to piggy back off a Winter Classic. That would cut the expense considerably.

Comment

Working...
                                X