USA Hockey Nationals - Tier I - Marlborough, MA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Hockey Nationals - Tier I - Marlborough, MA

So we are attending our first Nationals. It's really great that the site has 6 rinks all together, but there have been some parking woes. Some really great competition, referrees have been excellent - it's great to see so many women on the ice in the stripes and it's great to see that the refs skate better than most of the players (not typically the case).

Was wondering, however, about the gate fee? It's $15 per day (which is in effect 1 game if you are here with your child) or $30 for a weekend pass. Is this typical or does the host team and site get to decide? Seems a bit much - and for kids that have a relative that comes to see 1 game (grandparents) it's nuts! Just wondering if this is always the case.

Re: USA Hockey Nationals - Tier I - Marlborough, MA

Yes that's typical entrance fee for Nat'ls. Am watching the boys Tier1 in Buffalo and it's $15/day & $35/weekend + $5 for the program!!

Comment

Originally posted by speed_skater View Post
      So we are attending our first Nationals. It's really great that the site has 6 rinks all together, but there have been some parking woes. Some really great competition, referrees have been excellent - it's great to see so many women on the ice in the stripes and it's great to see that the refs skate better than most of the players (not typically the case).

Was wondering, however, about the gate fee? It's $15 per day (which is in effect 1 game if you are here with your child) or $30 for a weekend pass. Is this typical or does the host team and site get to decide? Seems a bit much - and for kids that have a relative that comes to see 1 game (grandparents) it's nuts! Just wondering if this is always the case.
      Typical. The host needs to cover the costs for rinks, refs, etc. Can be a bit of a financial risk. Therefore, some organizations don't actually WANT to host.

Comment

So we are attending our first Nationals. It's really great that the site has 6 rinks all together, but there have been some parking woes. Some really great competition, referrees have been excellent - it's great to see so many women on the ice in the stripes and it's great to see that the refs skate better than most of the players (not typically the case).Was wondering, however, about the gate fee? It's $15 per day (which is in effect 1 game if you are here with your child) or $30 for a weekend pass. Is this typical or does the host team and site get to decide? Seems a bit much - and for kids that have a relative that comes to see 1 game (grandparents) it's nuts! Just wondering if this is always the case.
        They catch you at every turn possible, it's a real money grab. Though fun to see them skate as usual.

Comment

I did the bid to have the Girls Tier II Nationals in Dallas. The association here had to provide / pay:
          • USA Hockey for the refs (gave a check to USA Hockey)
          • Schedule & pay for the ice (100 2 hour slots)
          • Print the program (USA Hockey provides a front cover)
          • Hospitalities rooms at all rinks
          • Hotel rooms for USA Hockey
          • Meeting room for all meetings
          • Orders and store apparel (USA Hockey vendor) – then sell it
          • Select a photographer
          • Volunteers to do all this

Get to keep:
          • Gate fee
          • $10 per hotel fee, per night stayed
          • Profit from programs
          • Percentage from appeal sales
          • Fee from photographer

There is a lot involved in preparing the bid. We started in early summer of 2009. It cost us $4000.00 just to apply!
          We were selected just before the 2010 Nationals. We have spent the last year getting ready…

I think the association here will do okay. As with any thing in hockey, it isn’t cheap. Personally, for me it has been worth it! To have 48 girls team here is crazy. There are less than 200 girls the whole state that play hockey, we got 500+ from across the country here for a week!!!!!

Comment

When you put it that way it doesn't sound like a money grab to me. USA Hockey sounds like our OWHA.
            ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Hockey in general is a money grab.

Seriously though, this is not. Even USA Hockey tries to keep the price reasonable. For example, the $10/per room-per night is set bt USA Hockey in an effort to keep the cost reasonable…

By the way…
              http://www.usahockey.com/Tournament/...eDivisionID=10
              Last edited by NoGo; 03-30-2012, 05:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thanks that helps put it in perspective.

Comment

It seems that the number of teams is down from previous years, at least the younger ages. The U14 has 12 teams total and 5 are from New England. This could be a money issue. I have heard that Nationals has changes coming to it, like no U12. Also, to be able to play in Nationals your assoc. must have mites to midgets. Most of the u19 teams would be gone.

Comment

A SWEEP for Assabet Valley!

Congrats to Mr. Gray, Coaches Laing and Horan for the older girls as well as to the coaching staff and players at every level.

An awesome day for an already most successful program!

Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

I know the title of this is Tier I…
                      The Alliance Bulldogs 19U took the USA Hockey Girl’s Tier II National Championship! This is their 2nd National Championship and marks a back-to-back win (2011 & 2012. This is their third trip in a row to the Tier II finals (lost to the Mass Spitfires in 2010).

This does mark the end of their run at the Tier II level as the girls look to the future.

Coach Stan Tugolukov will be moving to the Dallas Stars Elite next year and will be coaching the 19U Girls there. The team will make the move to the Tier I level. The Dallas Stars Elite 19U will be playing in the Tier 1 Elite League starting in the fall of 2012. (www.dsehc.com)

Comment

Originally posted by NoGo View Post
                        I know the title of this is Tier I…
                        The Alliance Bulldogs 19U took the USA Hockey Girl’s Tier II National Championship! This is their 2nd National Championship and marks a back-to-back win (2011 & 2012. This is their third trip in a row to the Tier II finals (lost to the Mass Spitfires in 2010).

This does mark the end of their run at the Tier II level as the girls look to the future.

Coach Stan Tugolukov will be moving to the Dallas Stars Elite next year and will be coaching the 19U Girls there. The team will make the move to the Tier I level. The Dallas Stars Elite 19U will be playing in the Tier 1 Elite League starting in the fall of 2012. (www.dsehc.com)
                        Congrats to your program in building and making the transition to Tier 1. We all know how much work that it takes from volunteers and it does not happen without some deticated people leading things. Several of your girls will be playing D1 this next year, and that is the greatest testiment to your program and the coaching the girls have received.

Comment

Although I had creds as a player, although there was someone at the "gate", which was just a table at the front end of the hallway where entrance fees were collected and programs sold, they didn't seem to be particularly vigilant when people walked in about checking to see if they had paid. By Saturday afternoon, when the quarters for Seniors and some Girl's semis were played, there wasn't anyone at the table, and Sunday for the semis and finals the table was unstaffed and the programs were on it for free.

One thing they did do, if you know the facility at all, is make sure all the auxilliary doors were shut so everyone had to enter through the front doors. If you had a game in Rink 6,(that has one of those aux.fire doors) which I did Friday night, instead of going in the side door, which is usually left unlocked, we had to go in the front door. The only way to get to 6 is up the stairs, through the upper central mezzanine area where cafeteria lounge is located, team photos were being taken, the vendors set up, game video on display...through throngs of people, kids milling about, running around, around the corner where crowds were gathered to watch games through the glass on either side of the hallway. There are rides for kids in the middle of the hall (think mini carousel, race car - the kind that back in my youth you put a quarter in and got bounced, tipped, or spun in a circle for a minute or so), After you run that gauntlet with equipment bag, shower bag and sticks, relax, you're almost there. Yep - just enter Rink 3 (I think - it might be 4) on the top bleacher level, battle more spectators in a smaller area, down a short flight of staduim steps around a tight corner, down more stairs, through the hallway, and presto, you've arrived.

You have to allow an extra half hour between fighting through the crowds, stopping halfway for a Power Bar and energy drink, to get to the lockerroom. Then play the game and repeat the procedure in the other direction
                          "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

While I think the tournament was well run and organized, I was disappointed by the facility staffs' inability to keep up with the event. These kinds of crowds and tournaments are nothing new to this facility, and they should be well-prepared, but by Saturday there wasn't a stall in any of the Women's rooms that had a sheet of toilet paper in it, the locker rooms were a mess - we had to sweep ours before each use, and there wasn't a drop of hot water in the three shower rooms we used, although I did hear the zamboni drivers saying their water was too hot.

This is basically the home rink for the league I play in, and unfortunately, this is par for the course there.
                            "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                              Although I had creds as a player, although there was someone at the "gate", which was just a table at the front end of the hallway where entrance fees were collected and programs sold, they didn't seem to be particularly vigilant when people walked in about checking to see if they had paid. By Saturday afternoon, when the quarters for Seniors and some Girl's semis were played, there wasn't anyone at the table, and Sunday for the semis and finals the table was unstaffed and the programs were on it for free.

One thing they did do, if you know the facility at all, is make sure all the auxilliary doors were shut so everyone had to enter through the front doors. If you had a game in Rink 6,(that has one of those aux.fire doors) which I did Friday night, instead of going in the side door, which is usually left unlocked, we had to go in the front door. The only way to get to 6 is up the stairs, through the upper central mezzanine area where cafeteria lounge is located, team photos were being taken, the vendors set up, game video on display...through throngs of people, kids milling about, running around, around the corner where crowds were gathered to watch games through the glass on either side of the hallway. There are rides for kids in the middle of the hall (think mini carousel, race car - the kind that back in my youth you put a quarter in and got bounced, tipped, or spun in a circle for a minute or so), After you run that gauntlet with equipment bag, shower bag and sticks, relax, you're almost there. Yep - just enter Rink 3 (I think - it might be 4) on the top bleacher level, battle more spectators in a smaller area, down a short flight of staduim steps around a tight corner, down more stairs, through the hallway, and presto, you've arrived.

You have to allow an extra half hour between fighting through the crowds, stopping halfway for a Power Bar and energy drink, to get to the lockerroom. Then play the game and repeat the procedure in the other direction
                              Not too mention the Fire hazard regulations probably being violated.
                              Last edited by OnMAA; 04-02-2012, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X