2011-2012 All-Americans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011-2012 All-Americans

I thought I would start a thread to talk about the All-Americans that will be announced, along with discussion of all the other awards.

College Hockey Weekly has their All-American list out...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/2...Americans.html

College Hockey News has their All-CHN teams out...

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...-chn_teams.php

Norm Bazin is CHN's Coach of the year...

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...ach_of_the.php

Joey LaLeggia is CHN's Rookie of the year...

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new..._named_chn.php

We'll also find out later today who made the Hobey Hat Trick.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Re: 2011-2012 All-Americans

Funny how on the site Milner is 2nd team AA but couldn't even make honorable mention in HE

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
      Funny how on the site Milner is 2nd team AA but couldn't even make honorable mention in HE
      FWIW, Milner was 1st Team Hockey East according to CHW...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/A...2011-2012.html
      North Dakota

Comment

Hard for me to get over the absurdity of an East "All-American" team and a West "All-American" team.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
          Hard for me to get over the absurdity of an East "All-American" team and a West "All-American" team.
          They've been doing it that way since 1958...I can't imagine that they would change it now.
          North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
            They've been doing it that way since 1958...I can't imagine that they would change it now.
            Yup, understood, but "All-East" and "All-West" would at least be more precise.

Of course in 1958, there were virtually no games between WCHA and ECAC teams prior to the Frozen Four, so there was no basis for comparison. Nowadays, there's more, but still not enough to obsolete the East and West designaltions. It also frees the selectors from making tough choices and/or exposing their biases.

It would be nice if there were more east team / west team games, not so much for the "All-American" teams (I think the concept is not terribly meaningful anyway, except as a device to generate controversy) but so that rating systems like PWR and KRACH would be more meaningful.

I guess I should be grateful there isn't an East Hobey Baker and a West Hobey Baker (or a Hobey equivalent for western teams).

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
              Yup, understood, but "All-East" and "All-West" would at least be more precise.
              You must hate the fact that Canadians and other foreigners are eligible to be "All-Americans" then, right?
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I thought I would start a thread to talk about the All-Americans that will be announced, along with discussion of all the other awards.

College Hockey Weekly has their All-American list out...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/2...Americans.html

College Hockey News has their All-CHN teams out...

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...-chn_teams.php

Norm Bazin is CHN's Coach of the year...

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...ach_of_the.php

Joey LaLeggia is CHN's Rookie of the year...

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new..._named_chn.php

We'll also find out later today who made the Hobey Hat Trick.
                Congratulations to the players who made CHN A-A. However, aren't the A-A selections announced during FF weekend regarded as the "official" honors as deemed by the NCAA?

Regarding, the CHW choices, I'm relieved to see Clendening wasn't among them. I had a couple of teeth pulled last week. The discomfort has pretty much subsided. I don't need a relapse.
                Last edited by buoldtimer; 03-29-2012, 03:30 PM.
                if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Really? How about because it's wrong?

This All-American thing is so f'ed up. First, it is laughable to have an East and West team and then call them all Americans. There is no East or West league just as there is no East or West America. There should be thirty players named All-American. No East, no West, no first team, second team, or fourth team.

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                    Congratulations to the players who made CHN A-A. However, aren't the A-A selections announced during FF weekend regarded as the "official" honors as deemed by the NCAA?

Regarding, the CHW choices, I'm relieved to see Clendening wasn't among them. I had a couple of teeth pulled last week. The discomfort has pretty much subsided. I don't need a relapse.
                    Correct. The AHCA (coaches) All-Americans are regarded as the official honors as deemed by the NCAA. They usually are announced during FF week as you stated.

As for CHW and Clendening, he was on my ballot (which was cast after this weekend), but obviously fell just shy of getting 2nd team. He was Honorable Mention.
                    Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 03-29-2012, 05:51 PM.
                    North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Tuuk View Post

This All-American thing is so f'ed up. First, it is laughable to have an East and West team and then call them all Americans. There is no East or West league just as there is no East or West America. There should be thirty players named All-American. No East, no West, no first team, second team, or fourth team.
                      When a group has been doing something one way for nearly 55 years, it is difficult to change...regardless whether you feel it is wrong. Anyway, contact the coaches (AHCA) and vent your frustrations. I just don't see it changing.

IMO, I don't care if they want to have it split geographically or not. For college hockey it makes sense because most East teams play East Teams and most West Teams play West Teams. Now, is that always the case? Obviously not, and the game is far more geographically unified than it was in 1958. However, most coaches focus on their conference and their schedule, and they are the ones voting.
                      North Dakota

Comment

When a group has been doing something one way for nearly 55 years, it is difficult to change...
                        I'll agree with that.

Comment

When a group has been doing something one way for nearly 55 years, it is difficult to change...regardless whether you feel it is wrong. Anyway, contact the coaches (AHCA) and vent your frustrations. I just don't see it changing.

IMO, I don't care if they want to have it split geographically or not. For college hockey it makes sense because most East teams play East Teams and most West Teams play West Teams. Now, is that always the case? Obviously not, and the game is far more geographically unified than it was in 1958. However, most coaches focus on their conference and their schedule, and they are the ones voting.
                          Nice response. Having separate A-A teams by region is a throwback to a bygone era. However, this custom is one of the factors that makes the game unique and quaint in an age of encroaching homogenization. I hope this tradition continues.
                          if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Tuuk View Post

How many trips did Minnesota make east?? ( and Tampa doesn't count )
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                            X