X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
    Dam(n) ... I'm running low on beer and chips
    Me as well, and I hardly drink at all. At least this keeps us Hockey East fans occupied during the dreaded summer.

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    How does Union get people to play at their Mess[-of-]a rink?
    Maybe since they are academic minded and thought the rink was named Mensa.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    The Ivies are just taking their sweet time. They'll probably hand in their 30 year notice sometime in the next twenty years.
    Perhaps RPI could start growing Ivy on all their walls now and by that time they will be ready to join.

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
      Paul Kelly from United States of Hockey Report

“Having commonly five conferences, soon to be six conferences, and you may one day have the Ivy League spinning out for seven conferences, what you get is very parochial interests,”

Source - http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012...at-comes-next/
      Everyone should read this link Im tell'in ya its not over.If anyone thinks North Dakota, Denver et al are going to sit around and let the Big Ten become a super conference before their collective eyes and start dictating what goes on in college hockey your nuts ! The fireing of Paul Kelly by the commisioners led by ECAC comminsioner Steve Hagwell whom has driven the ECAC into a ditch is an attempt to save their jobs. Nice try but something is going to happen it has too. Why is Uconn as far as I know the only institution officially in the conversation for HE expansion. I'll tell you why because it only makes sense that un-officially other schools had some conversation and declined to be considered. Why is HE in such a hurry to add a team especially one that as of this point has inadequate facilities and no scholarships I don't know but I can guess. Unless your a conference that is ripe for the picking the smart money should lay low untill whatever happens ramps up. Does anyone other than me find it strange that the coaches that stood up for Paul Kelly in the article were Jeff Jackson and George Gwozdecky Hmmmmm.
      What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

@troyboy would you care to translate the article from Chinese to American English for those of us who do not follow college hockey politics? Not sure I really want to know, but if you can do it succinctly many of us will read it.

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
          Everyone should read this link Im tell'in ya its not over.If anyone thinks North Dakota, Denver et al are going to sit around and let the Big Ten become a super conference before their collective eyes and start dictating what goes on in college hockey your nuts ! The fireing of Paul Kelly by the commisioners led by ECAC comminsioner Steve Hagwell whom has driven the ECAC into a ditch is an attempt to save their jobs. Nice try but something is going to happen it has too. Why is Uconn as far as I know the only institution officially in the conversation for HE expansion. I'll tell you why because it only makes sense that un-officially other schools had some conversation and declined to be considered. Why is HE in such a hurry to add a team especially one that as of this point has inadequate facilities and no scholarships I don't know but I can guess. Unless your a conference that is ripe for the picking the smart money should lay low untill whatever happens ramps up. Does anyone other than me find it strange that the coaches that stood up for Paul Kelly in the article were Jeff Jackson and George Gwozdecky Hmmmmm.
          Step away from the Red Bull.

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
            I think North Dakota and Denver have done enough already to strengthen their new conference. BU-BC are staying put and don't want to leave HE. The only thing else they might do is trrying to entice a major school to add a program if they can get financial support for it ie a CSU, UC Boulder, BYU, Texas, Kansas, any D1 California school.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
              What does Hobart have to do with this?
              Thank you... *Dutchmen*, I meant to say... (I get my D-3 teams mixed up sometimes.)

Seriously, I go to see Union regularly, and I root for them, but I have to wonder if they can keep their recent success going. For many years, they were a doormat in the ECAC, and I'm thinking that they will be right back there before long.

Just a hunch.
              Last edited by Fishman'81; 05-15-2012, 01:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by REDMEN2002 View Post
                Your argument is weak. The only thing you are right about is that very few people are watching those college baseball, lax and softball games.
                And yet they find their way onto national cable channels... (just like college hockey did last year).
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                  And yet they find their way onto national cable channels... (just like college hockey did last year).
                  Lots of cable channels, gotta fill them up with something. I'm glad college hockey is on tv more, but it doesn't mean its getting great ratings.
                  National Champions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                  Hockey East Tournament Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                  Hockey East Regular Season Champions: 2014, 2012, 2011, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986, 1985

Originally posted by SteveF
                  two things you need to know about the current state of BU hockey

a) fanboys chanted 'thank you seniors' at the beanpot
                  b) fanboys chanted 'wheres your beanpot' while getting blown out in the semis of the HE tournament

Comment

Originally posted by REDMEN2002 View Post
                    Lots of cable channels, gotta fill them up with something. I'm glad college hockey is on tv more, but it doesn't mean its getting great ratings.
                    Do you expect it to outweigh Survivor or something?

Comment

reading that article, makes me think kelly got a job running the Red Cross and decided he should turn it into the UN.

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                      Dpends on your definition of nobody, I guess. I remember when almost nobody watched college baseball but last night I counted 4 games on various ESPN and Fox channels I got. And I rmember when nobody watched college lacrosse, but I peaked at 2 games yesterday afternoon...and I remember when absolutley nobody watched womens college softball but there were 3 games on when I was flipping through Saturday evening...
                      well if hockey moves from a winter sport to a spring sport, we may have a chance.. but during oct/nov/dec tv would rather show football than hockey, and during dec/jan/feb/mar they would prefer to see basketball and the advertising $$ that comes with that.
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by REDMEN2002 View Post
                        It's enough for it to graduate from ESPNU to NBCSN.

It doesn't have to be Dancing with the Stars, it just needs to justify its existence and it won't take all that much growth for the TV profits to become significant compared to attendance.

Even without that, and the only way to boost margins is to bring more casual idiots through the gates, do you really think that RPI, Union or Mercyhurst (or whatever) are going to do a fraction of what Notre Dame and UConn can do to bring in an everyday moron to a hockey game?
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          It's enough for it to graduate from ESPNU to NBCSN.

It doesn't have to be Dancing with the Stars, it just needs to justify its existence and it won't take all that much growth for the TV profits to become significant compared to attendance.

Even without that, and the only way to boost margins is to bring more casual idiots through the gates, do you really think that RPI, Union or Mercyhurst (or whatever) are going to do a fraction of what Notre Dame and UConn can do to bring in an everyday moron to a hockey game?
                          You do realise that RPI averages in attendance over 3000 a game, right? (3435 actually, I don't even think Freitas can even hold that much)

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            You do realise that RPI averages in attendance over 3000 a game, right? (3435 actually, I don't even think Freitas can even hold that much)
                            I can add to that. Because RPI is a D-III school and hockey is its only D-I sport, students with any interest in sports go to hockey games over other sports. That interests tends to continue as alums. There is a reason that RPI has apparently been invited to play BC at Madison Square Garden as part of a doubleheader with BU and Cornell during the 2013-14 season. (The source of the rumor is a BC blog, and the link is somewhere in the first RPI offseason thread.) The reason is clearly that RPI fans travel, and that will continue.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              I can add to that. Because RPI is a D-III school and hockey is its only D-I sport, students with any interest in sports go to hockey games over other sports. That interests tends to continue as alums. There is a reason that RPI has apparently been invited to play BC at Madison Square Garden as part of a doubleheader with BU and Cornell during the 2013-14 season. (The source of the rumor is a BC blog, and the link is somewhere in the first RPI offseason thread.) The reason is clearly that RPI fans travel, and that will continue.
                              Since the renovations to the Field House in the early 80's student attendance and the hype of the hockey line has steadily declined. Season ticket holders are primarily from the faculty, staff and local community. I’m not privy to exact numbers of student season ticket holders, but have certainly seen it decline over the years. At most home games there are maybe 500-600 students in attendance, not counting the band, RPI TV, WRPI personnel and other students working the game in some capacity. Look at the attendance of games when the students aren’t around and that 3,445 drops only to about 2,800 or 2,900.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                Very true (at least in most cases). RIT would have a larger number if their rink didn't hold only 2100; I could see them getting up to, possibly even surpassing, our numbers.

Comment

Working...
                                X