UConn to apply to Hockey East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

Looks like CT's Governor Malloy is trying to grease the skids a little with BC. Some good points in the article, and surprisingly they mentioned the hockey move.

Malloy wants to see UConn-Boston College rivalry rekindled
    Published 06:38 p.m., Thursday, May 10, 2012

HARTFORD, Conn. — Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy says it is time for the University of Connecticut and Boston College to put hard feelings behind them and work to re-establish an important New England rivalry on the football field and basketball court.

In an interview with The Associated Press Thursday, Malloy, an alumnus of Boston College, said he has expressed those sentiments in talks over the past year with Boston College President William Leahy.

The two schools have been at odds since Boston College left the Big East to join the Atlantic Coast Conference in 2005, and the state of Connecticut led a lawsuit over the move.

"The reality is that time has the ability to heal all wounds, and hopefully we move forward," said Malloy. "Economically, it makes great sense. The schools are 80 miles apart. Instead of a plane trip, it's a bus ride. We should be doing more of that, not less."

The two schools last played football in 2004 and last played a men's basketball game in January 2005. Boston College is 10-0-2 against the Huskies in football, while UConn leads the basketball series, 54-35.

Shortly after BC announced its plans to join the ACC, Connecticut basketball coach Jim Calhoun said he would never play the Eagles again as long as he coached the Huskies.

But last fall, amid a national shakeup of athletic conference, Malloy acknowledged that UConn had an interest in moving to the ACC.

Boston College Athletic Director Gene DeFilippo told the Boston Globe that he had blocked the move, saying it was a matter of "turf."

He later issued a public apology, saying "while I harbor some ill feelings toward the University of Connecticut regarding the lawsuit, depositions and derogatory comments from UConn officials when we announced our decision to join the ACC, it was inappropriate to express personal feelings that might have been construed as the position of Boston College or the Atlantic Coast Conference."

Malloy said that whatever happens with the ACC, the two schools should realize that playing each other, as they already do in many other sports, would benefit both schools and the entire region. UMass, which recently upgraded its football program, is the only other BCS school in New England.

Connecticut is now in talks that would have its men's hockey program join Boston College in Hockey East.

"Both schools have done and said things that need to be left in the past, and both schools need to move forward," Malloy said. "They need to move forward in what is the best interest of their schools, their student body and their athletic programs."

The timing may be right.

Warde Manuel, UConn's new athletic director, and DeFilippo say they are friends, and plan to meet soon to talk about the relationship. Manuel said the two had been scheduled to sit on a panel together recently, but DeFilippo had a scheduling conflict.

"I come in with a mindset that it would be good for us and good for them if we can get back to having a solid relationship between the two institutions," said Manuel, who took over the program in March. "I know that (UConn) President (Susan) Herbst would like that and it's one of the things that at the time when we can, Gene and I will have a conversation and I'll get a sense from him on how he feels about it. But, from my perspective, I don't harbor any ill feelings about Boston College and I think highly of the program, highly of the institution and I would hope that we could overcome issues from the past."

Read more: http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article...#ixzz1ulTEkpyR
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Comment

As an RPI fan I would love to move to HE for all the reasons mentioned in this blog plus the fact that all of the "power teams" in HE were once ECAC teams and remembering those days they were bitter and spirited rivalrys, so the history is there. Although we have fallen on tough time lately the program is in much better shape than its been in for years. We have suffered from some early defections in the last couple of years but we continue to bring in top recruiting classes and I believe it will all come together soon. We already have the facility in place(4,000 +) in fact it has been recently renavated w/more phases to come,the scholarships already exist and we have history if fact I don't know the exact number but albeit some years now we are one of only 6 or 7 programs that has won multiple national titles. Having said all that I understand why UCONN is the school of choice for HE it is a New England School and they are a New England based league, when they decided to upgrade their Bball and Fball programs we all know the results. There is no doubt in my mind that they will become competitive down the road but thats going to be a long road given there track record in other sports.Recruiting shouldn't be a problem given the quality of in-state players and regional talent combined with judging from the Bball team it appears that you can get a corps admitted to the school it should work out for them long term. What I'm not hearing is where the money is coming from. This move for them is like starting from scratch they really have nothing in place to make the move.Using some recent numbers it cost BU $225 million to build Agannis and Terry Pegula dropped $80 mil.on Penn State just to get them started.I don't get what Uconn is thinking but Godspeed !
      What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post

Many HE fans are comfortable with the way things are and I cannot blame them.
        yup, pretty much................

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
          I think most of the objections on the thread are people being afraid of change.

Many HE fans are comfortable with the way things are and I cannot blame them. HE is a great conference to watch and is very competitive.

At the end of the day though the conference has to change with the times and take on some risks. Hopefully the conference has done their due diligence and has helped to minimize the risk to the league and it's members. Those unwilling to change risk becoming irrelevant over time.
          I understand the viewpoint but the fact is the conference is changing and I don't think Uconn coming in has to be a negative. It was gonna be another school anyway... People that wanted it to stay at 10 or 8 well that was decided years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
            Using some recent numbers it cost BU $225 million to build Agannis and Terry Pegula dropped $80 mil.on Penn State just to get them started.I don't get what Uconn is thinking but Godspeed !
            Agganis cost roughly $100 million, the entire Hancock complex was $225, inclusive of the massive gym next door and two residence towers behind it.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

@LTsatch yeah, there is clearly a charm offensive going on right now. It includes the Guv, the new Prez, and the new AD. FSU looks to be leaving the ACC and Louisville and Boise look to be leaving the BE. The ground is still shaking. Gotta kiss up to all available uno what's to make sure there is a chair available when the music stops.
              Last edited by RSTuthill; 05-13-2012, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                Well then, you'd be nuts...Neither RPI nor Union are solid long-term bets.

The ECAC is edging towards irrelevancy at present, and everyone in the country is looking to join a super-conference right now, in any sport. I don't expect that Union will continue to be a player, and RPI hasn't had a sniff for a while. Adding either of them is out of the question.

The pendulum will swing back, eventually, but there is no doubt in my mind that a large public school is the way to go, if HEA feels that they have to expand. There is a growing TV market for college hockey, but not so much in the Troy/Schenectady area.
                2011. Next uneducated comment please.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                  Agganis cost roughly $100 million, the entire Hancock complex was $225, inclusive of the massive gym next door and two residence towers behind it.
                  Not to mention that this was construction within Boston which besides NYC is the most expensive in the country when you count such things as extended planning, police shakedowns errr i mean construction details, having to use union construction, and other things. There are probably a lot less costs for building at UCONN.

Comment

Well then, you'd be nuts...Neither RPI nor Union are solid long-term bets.

The ECAC is edging towards irrelevancy at present, and everyone in the country is looking to join a super-conference right now, in any sport. I don't expect that Union will continue to be a player, and RPI hasn't had a sniff for a while. Adding either of them is out of the question.

The pendulum will swing back, eventually, but there is no doubt in my mind that a large public school is the way to go, if HEA feels that they have to expand. There is a growing TV market for college hockey, but not so much in the Troy/Schenectady area.
                    I'd accept your comments if you had more national championships.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      Or maybe conference championships ?
                      My Four Favorite teams:
                      RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                      Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        2011. Next uneducated comment please.
                        Do you think that Union would have been in the PWR mix this past year (or RPI, when they were blown out 6-0 in the first round in 2011) if either had played a Hockey East schedule during those respective seasons..?

I doubt very seriously that either team would've had enough quality wins to get in in either case. Be happy that your vicarious heroes have their own insular little conference to (possibly) feast upon, in a good year. Even mighty Cornell would be a mid-level team in HE.

The Engineers and the Statesmen are right where they fit-in best, IMO, and more importantly in this context, there is no reason in the world that HE would want to add either of them. UConn is a much better choice for many reasons, no question about that. And, the ECAC will still get their berths, if the better programs in that conference stay put.

(As far as the jabs at Maine go: yes, they've been an also-ran in HE for several years now, but what does that have to do with anything, in this context? I'll bet that Maine would've challenged for the ECAC title in every recent "down" year they've had of late, had they played in the ECAC... But that is irrelevant to this topic.)

Grow up. This is not a urinating contest on my part, just an attempt to evaluate which school is the most logical 12th team in HE... And no ECAC team fits the bill as well as UConn does; that's completely obvious.

It's a business decision, fellas.
                        Last edited by Fishman'81; 05-14-2012, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Do you think that Union would have been in the PWR mix this past year ... if either had played a Hockey East schedule during those respective seasons..?
                          Yes.
                          Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                          Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                            Yes.
                            Having seen them a few times last year, I'm not necessarily inclined to disagree... They had a great goalie.

Just wondering what his stats would look like had he faced BC, BU, Maine, Merrimack and Lowell for a total of 15 games last season. Pretty sure the numbers would look different.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              You really want to get into a pissing contest? Maine has won 2 national titles and been to 11 Frozen Fours since the last time RPI won an NCAA playoff game.

Contest over.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                                You really want to get into a pissing contest? Maine has won 2 national titles and been to 11 Frozen Fours since the last time RPI won an NCAA playoff game.

Contest over.
                                So I guess that Maine should be invited to join HE.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X