PDA

View Full Version : UConn to apply to Hockey East

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48

Nick Papagiorgio
06-21-2012, 02:33 PM
By your standards UConn won it twice. Nope, in reality only once.

By Uconn's standards Uconn won it twice. Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

jjmc85
06-21-2012, 02:39 PM
I can't believe I've read two posters say Frietas isn't a dump. Have UConn fans ever been to Frietas? The rink isn't even heated. From the inside, it looks like you are standing in a cheap aluminum shed. It made pre-rennovations Lawler look like a legitimate Division I rink. If this isn't the definition of a dump, I don't know what is.

brassbonanza
06-21-2012, 02:42 PM
I can't believe I've read two posters say Frietas isn't a dump. Have UConn fans ever been to Frietas? The rink isn't even heated. From the inside, it looks like you are standing in a cheap aluminum shed. It made pre-rennovations Lawler look like a legitimate Division I rink. If this isn't the definition of a dump, I don't know what is.

I think the argument they're using is that it's not old and rundown with things that don't work, and broken seats, etc. It would be best to describe it as woefully subpar for HE.

Jim
06-21-2012, 03:20 PM
I think the argument they're using is that it's not old and rundown with things that don't work, and broken seats, etc. It would be best to describe it as woefully subpar for HE.Never claimed it was a Hockey East quality facility. It isn't. That is why they plan to upgrade it...but I've been to games at Ryan and at Sacred Heart, as well as a number of D-3 facilities. I remember one D3 rink where they switched ends half way through the 3rd period every game because the lights at one end constantly flickered on and off...and it went on like that in December and when I went back in February, it was still doing the same thing. Believe me, I have seen dumps and Freitas isn't one of them...it is bare bones and clearly it isn't up to Hockey East standards.

Jim
06-21-2012, 03:21 PM
By the way, it's officially announced on the UCONN website www.uconnhuskies.com. the official official annoucncement is tomorrow at noon at the XL Center.

brassbonanza
06-21-2012, 03:24 PM
By the way, it's officially announced on the UCONN website www.uconnhuskies.com. the official official annoucncement is tomorrow at noon at the XL Center.

They're announcing it at the XL Center? Ugh, that's not a good sign.

Edit: official release says OOC at Freitas, HE games at XL. Terrible. Would've preferred Quinnipiac instead of a 90% empty arena 40 minutes from campus with no students.

claver2010
06-21-2012, 04:00 PM
They're announcing it at the XL Center? Ugh, that's not a good sign.

Edit: official release says OOC at Freitas, HE games at XL. Terrible. Would've preferred Quinnipiac instead of a 90% empty arena 40 minutes from campus with no students.

HAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHAAHHAAHHAAHAHAHAHHA

I look forward to a raucous environment for UML-Yukon in front of 500 family and friends

What a disaster

huskymike
06-21-2012, 04:35 PM
UConn has announced...

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/blog/hc-uconn-announces-move-to-hockey-east-20120621,0,1175943.story

Jim
06-21-2012, 04:51 PM
HAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHAAHHAAHHAAHAHAHAHHA

I look forward to a raucous environment for UML-Yukon in front of 500 family and friends

What a disasterI have 3 thoughts on this...1. Why do you assume it will be a disaster? UCONN is a good brand and with minimal effort will draw people. Hell, they draw 4000 for soccer which is kind of drawing 4000 to watch paint dry. 2. From everyhting I've heard this is a short term alternative until Freitas can be expanded/upgraded. 3. I can't wait until the first time we kick BC's ***.

ericredaxe
06-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Actually given how much UConn seems to irritate the BC folks... I guess I'm all for UConn joining! :D

J.D.
06-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Jim, every team in Hockey East has kicked BCs *** on occasion. Is that what you'll be hanging your hat on? Or are you so delusional that you think UConn will have a better program than BC?

FiveHole12
06-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Oh good. This thread has devolved (again) to a pizzing match between UConn and BC fans.
It's going to be very interesting on these threads from here on out. Think of it this way... BU, Maine and UHN will be on holiday for many years to come. ;) :p

3. I can't wait until the first time we kick BC's ***.
And the fun begins! :D

BC/HE
06-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Having 20,000 on campus does not translate into people in the seats. The students have to be hockey fans first. Connecticut is not full of hockey fans and that is where the majority of students come from. Even BC cannot get the students into the seats that well as the locals are the ones who go to the games mostly. Some of the better crowds are when the students are away and families get in at lower prices. Most BC students are not from New England and many do not care about hockey even with the recent great success. UConn may have more trouble filling the seats than they think unless the prices are rock bottom.

RSTuthill
06-21-2012, 05:46 PM
I will be wearing a UConn away sweater with number 18 and the name Krygier on the back if anyone would care to meet up. First beer on me afterward.

brassbonanza
06-21-2012, 06:38 PM
unless the prices are rock bottom.

I suspect they will be on the low side. But you're right about what you said, and all the more reason why moving the games to Hartford will kill any hope of building the program on campus.

Jim
06-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Having 20,000 on campus does not translate into people in the seats. The students have to be hockey fans first. Connecticut is not full of hockey fans and that is where the majority of students come from. Even BC cannot get the students into the seats that well as the locals are the ones who go to the games mostly. Some of the better crowds are when the students are away and families get in at lower prices. Most BC students are not from New England and many do not care about hockey even with the recent great success. UConn may have more trouble filling the seats than they think unless the prices are rock bottom.I agree with you, but on the ohter hand, the UConn student body is from New England, and there is a reasonably decent hockey culture, certainly not comparable to Boston, but places like Hamden, West Haven and Fairfield County all have hockey fans, and it is expanding statewide, if not quickly, at least steadily. there are also Whaler fans, who I know they hope to attract, and the majority of the student body is from the northeast, so there are other hockey fans among them. And with a 4-5000 seat arena, it isn't like you need to attract half the student body...I've been to Freitas on a few occassions when there has been some effort made to attract students (the dedication night comes to mind), they made a minimal effort and the place was packed and it rocked. UCONN needs to do this right, for sure. But they have a history of doing it right, I think, so I'm pretty comfortable that over time this will be a success. Nobody on the UCONN side expects to sell out the XL Center, nor do they expect to win the Hockey East title in 2015. This is a long term committment, but I also don't expect them to do it if they don't plan to ultimately be very competetive.

Jim
06-22-2012, 09:32 AM
Jim, every team in Hockey East has kicked BCs *** on occasion. Is that what you'll be hanging your hat on? Or are you so delusional that you think UConn will have a better program than BC?I'm just waiting for the first time...and to hear, see and read the excuses...that will be a great day in UCONN hockey history...:D

J.D.
06-22-2012, 11:13 AM
I'm just waiting for the first time...and to hear, see and read the excuses...that will be a great day in UCONN hockey history...:D

No, cuz I already said that every other team in Hockey East has kicked BCs *** at least once. It doesn't mean a hill of beans. Contrary to what you think, you won't get any excuses. You'll be given a medal and a pat on the back and then you'll be rightfully mocked for ****ting your pants over one regular season win. So if that's all you're looking forward to, have fun enjoying the basement of Hockey East with some other long-standing Hockey East members. In the meantime, at least you're sane enough not to answer my second question.

Jim
06-22-2012, 11:26 AM
I expect we will spend a fair amount of time in the Hockey East basement, at least initially. But I don't think UConn went into this to stay there forever. BC and BU are the models. Whether we can ever attain that level of success, who knows. But I expect that UConn will eventually be a pretty regular contender in Hockey East. Obviously not in 2014-15 though. By the way, didn't BC hold a parade when their football team beat a 7-4 Florida State team? The first victory over a big name is a big deal in any sport. I look forward to our first over BC.

kingdobbs
06-22-2012, 11:38 AM
No, cuz I already said that every other team in Hockey East has kicked BCs *** at least once. It doesn't mean a hill of beans. Contrary to what you think, you won't get any excuses. You'll be given a medal and a pat on the back and then you'll be rightfully mocked for ****ting your pants over one regular season win. So if that's all you're looking forward to, have fun enjoying the basement of Hockey East with some other long-standing Hockey East members.

Yes, yes, we get it. For us it'd be the most important day of our hockey lives, for you it would be Tuesday.

But in order to adopt the attitude of "been there, done that", we will first have had to have been there, and then done that.