Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
    So you're inferring that Quick's success has to do with UMass? That's ridiculous.
    No, but knowing that Quick went to Umass only helps as a recruiting tool for Umass and being from Connecticut, I can bet that now that Uconn might be joining Hockey east they can mention to the in state kids that not only do they get to stay home on a scholarship and play in the best conference, they can use Quick and say "He made it to the NHL, you can to."

Comment

Originally posted by Lazyking View Post
      No, but knowing that Quick went to Umass only helps as a recruiting tool for Umass and being from Connecticut, I can bet that now that Uconn might be joining Hockey east they can mention to the in state kids that not only do they get to stay home on a scholarship and play in the best conference, they can use Quick and say "He made it to the NHL, you can to."
      Do you suppose Don Lucia points to the success of Zach Parise as a reason kids should play at Minnesota?

Comment

That's totally different.... I could use Cole Schneider as my example but he hasn't really "made" it yet. You can't tell me that if Uconn offered scholarships that Jonathan Quick may have gone there instead of Umass. This move will change how Uconn looks at hockey and how recruits look at Uconn hockey no doubt in my mind.

Comment

That's totally different.... I could use Cole Schneider as my example but he hasn't really "made" it yet. You can't tell me that if Uconn offered scholarships that Jonathan Quick may have gone there instead of Umass. This move will change how Uconn looks at hockey and how recruits look at Uconn hockey no doubt in my mind.
          With the commitment that I see being thrown out there I still see them being behind, in terms of facilities/resources than....

Boston College, Boston University, Maine, New Hampshire, UMass-Lowell, UMass-Amherst, Northeastern, Vermont. Providence is a push and a school composed of feral chinchillas would beat Merrimack.
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

We'll see. I'm basing this on an upgrade on facilities eventually (we all know XL center is a dump) and the fact that Uconn isn't even on board with this move if they aren't willing to invest in it. Uconn does not like being a doormat in anything. I mean really, if they want in Hockey East which it sounds like they do then I highly doubt they'll be happy to get steamrolled and embarrassed every year. Why bother making the jump then? Its not like college hockey is gonna bring them huge money anyway.
            Last edited by Lazyking; 05-12-2012, 04:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patman View Post
              With the commitment that I see being thrown out there I still see them being behind, in terms of facilities/resources than....

Boston College, Boston University, Maine, New Hampshire, UMass-Lowell, UMass-Amherst, Northeastern, Vermont. Providence is a push and a school composed of feral chinchillas would beat Merrimack.
              You are fat.
              National Champions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
              Hockey East Tournament Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
              Hockey East Regular Season Champions: 2014, 2012, 2011, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986, 1985

Originally posted by SteveF
              two things you need to know about the current state of BU hockey

a) fanboys chanted 'thank you seniors' at the beanpot
              b) fanboys chanted 'wheres your beanpot' while getting blown out in the semis of the HE tournament

Comment

Originally posted by REDMEN2002 View Post
                You are fat.
                My mirror agrees with you. Its nice to know a pane of glass is as informative as a Merrimack grad.
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Originally posted by Patman View Post
                  My mirror agrees with you. Its nice to know a pane of glass is as informative as a Merrimack grad.
                  Don't worry about Merrimack and their grads, buddy. Worry about Richard Simmons knocking your door down.
                  National Champions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                  Hockey East Tournament Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                  Hockey East Regular Season Champions: 2014, 2012, 2011, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986, 1985

Originally posted by SteveF
                  two things you need to know about the current state of BU hockey

a) fanboys chanted 'thank you seniors' at the beanpot
                  b) fanboys chanted 'wheres your beanpot' while getting blown out in the semis of the HE tournament

Comment

Uconn does not like being a doormat in anything.
                    They seem pretty content with being a doormat so far.
                    My Four Favorite teams:
                    RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                    Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by REDMEN2002 View Post
                      Don't worry about Merrimack and their grads, buddy. Worry about Richard Simmons knocking your door down.
                      As long as he isn't knocking on the back door...
                      Expectation has the encumberance of truth while hope lives its own life, wild and free.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                        I would take RPI in Hockey East way before UConn.
                        Well then, you'd be nuts...Neither RPI nor Union are solid long-term bets.

The ECAC is edging towards irrelevancy at present, and everyone in the country is looking to join a super-conference right now, in any sport. I don't expect that Union will continue to be a player, and RPI hasn't had a sniff for a while. Adding either of them is out of the question.

The pendulum will swing back, eventually, but there is no doubt in my mind that a large public school is the way to go, if HEA feels that they have to expand. There is a growing TV market for college hockey, but not so much in the Troy/Schenectady area.
                        Last edited by Fishman'81; 05-13-2012, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                          Well then, you'd be nuts...Neither RPI nor Union are solid long-term bets.

The ECAC is edging towards irrelevancy at present
                          In what way? The ECAC had a Frozen Four team this year (and another in the final 8, even if it was stupid Cornell).

In my opinion, Hockey East is the best conference in the country and doesn't need to expand. If they want to, they can have one of many programs to help it get better. UConn is not a team that can achieve that goal. Union and RPI aren't going to be confused with Boston College nor Michigan, but they are further along than UConn is (or may ever be). UVM is light years ahead of UConn and they struggle to be competitive in that conference.
                          Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

The ECAC had a Frozen Four team this year.
                            Yup, and that was nicely done to match the AHA from the year before

Comment

So you're inferring that Quick's success has to do with UMass?
                              If you do not see that, then there is nothing more to say on this topic. It was a developmental step on his road to the NHL and it greatly benefited him. Not to mention that UMass was capable of attracting that kind of talent in the first place. And the fact that the talent came from CT in the first place (which is an indication that top talent is indeed still produced in CT).
                              Last edited by RSTuthill; 05-13-2012, 08:01 AM.

Comment

I think most of the objections on the thread are people being afraid of change.

Many HE fans are comfortable with the way things are and I cannot blame them. HE is a great conference to watch and is very competitive.

At the end of the day though the conference has to change with the times and take on some risks. Hopefully the conference has done their due diligence and has helped to minimize the risk to the league and it's members. Those unwilling to change risk becoming irrelevant over time.

Comment

Working...
                                X