UConn to apply to Hockey East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

But UMass has a great lacrosse team. Surely that would mean they would be great at every other sport, including hockey, right?
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
      So again I ask, are you saying that adding UMass was bad for HE?
      [/B]
      Has it been any good?
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
        Has it been any good?
        If by "good" you are referring to record, no. And by that arguement, HE should be made up of BU, BC, UNH, and Maine. They can play each other 7 times each year and call it a conference.

If by "good" you mean adding the flagship university of an entire state, bringing a few thousand additional fans to the game, and expanding the exposure of the conference to Western, Mass, then yes, they have been good. Same is to be said (even more so) by the addition of UConn.... and they actually have a varsity hockey program at the time of consideration, unlike UMass.
        Bentley University Hockey
        On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

If by "good" you mean adding the flagship university of an entire state, bringing a few thousand additional fans to the game, and expanding the exposure of the conference to Western, Mass, then yes, they have been good. Same is to be said (even more so) by the addition of UConn.... and they actually have a varsity hockey program at the time of consideration, unlike UMass.
          Yes, those 3,622 and 3,441 fan attendance numbers from the 2005 regional at Mullins really knocked everyone's socks off with the thousands of fans they brought (I'm being facetious, they were mostly UNH and Harvard fans) via the exposure the league brought to Western, MA. It just blew everyone away I tell ya.

Being the flagship university in MA (if there is any state it isn't relevant in, it's MA) certainly has helped them win lots of games and has done wonders for this conference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

But UMass has a great lacrosse team. Surely that would mean they would be great at every other sport, including hockey, right?
            Nope, and here's the difference...UCONN has a pattern of success,it's not a one hit wonder. I think national championships in 3 different sports since 2000, multiple titles in mens and womens basketball and a soccer championship, plus the other successes, suggests that UCONN isn't a one hit wonder. It is not unlike Ohio State and Michigan and a few others in knowing how to be successful in multiple sports. I guess we'll see who is right in a few years. If I were BC, I wouldn't be too worried about UCONN either, but I owuld be scared to death that Gene D decides to provide his own special brand of "help" to the hockey team...you guys might be hoping to get into AHA if that happens...

Comment

So basically, unless teams sellout their arenas, and win the Hockey east conference within the first five years, they are bad for the league?

Such elitism sigh.

If Uconn, Notre dame, Umass don't effect in any way your school's birthright to the national title then why do you care?

Comment

nd they actually have a varsity hockey program at the time of consideration, unlike UMass.
                To be fair, UConn's program is "varsity" in name only.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Yeah, they play on zero scholarships at the moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                    To be fair, UConn's program is "varsity" in name only.
                    True. But it exists, and that is kind of the point.

Frankly, I agree with the notion that UConn brings more potential upside than UMass ever did.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Being the flagship university in MA (if there is any state it isn't relevant in, it's MA) certainly has helped them win lots of games and has done wonders for this conference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      makes me think of family feud...

we asked 100 people and the top answers are on the board... name for me a university in Massachusetts...

"UMASS"

uuhhhhhhggggnnnn X
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I hate to jump into a Massachusetts food fight, but didn't we just see Jonathan Quick and the Los Angeles Kings take out the number 1 and 2 seeds in the West? St. Louis in 4 straight I believe. Played for UMass, went to a CT prep school (AOF), both of which got mention on national TV last weekend.

Just sayin' ....

Comment

Wow... I knew Boston hockey fans were insular, but this is ridiculous.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by Lazyking View Post
                            Yeah, they play on zero scholarships at the moment.
                            So? It's not like a college MUST have scholie to be a varsity program or a nationally competitive program. Not that UCONN is nationally competitive.
                            Last edited by MattS; 05-11-2012, 07:47 PM.
                            My Four Favorite teams:
                            RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                            Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
                              So? It's not like a college MUST have scholie to be a varsity program or even a nationally competitive program. Not that UCONN is nationally competitive.
                              And Uconn has had guys get signed by NHL clubs.. my point is though that its much more difficult when your a school that gives out scholarships for every other big sport and then go out and recruit guys that better love the school or they can get a free ride at a bunch of schools in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                                I hate to jump into a Massachusetts food fight, but didn't we just see Jonathan Quick and the Los Angeles Kings take out the number 1 and 2 seeds in the West? St. Louis in 4 straight I believe. Played for UMass, went to a CT prep school (AOF), both of which got mention on national TV last weekend.

Just sayin' ....
                                I see your point. So what you're saying is that maybe Hockey East should add Norwich since Keith Aucoin has been doing well in the playoffs as well. Not a bad idea, they're in New England so they're in the footprint. They've won some DIII titles...

Not a bad idea...
                                Originally posted by reBlur
                                the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Working...
                                X