PDA

View Full Version : UConn to apply to Hockey East

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

RSTuthill
06-20-2012, 09:44 AM
So ... today is the big day?

huskymike
06-20-2012, 12:15 PM
That's what I've heard... fingers crossed!

Priceless
06-20-2012, 04:26 PM
Word is UConn is the 12th member of Hockey East. Welcome. We better not hear this "lack of institutional support" from Storrs any time soon. Or ever.

brassbonanza
06-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Word is UConn is the 12th member of Hockey East. Welcome. We better not hear this "lack of institutional support" from Storrs any time soon. Or ever.

If firing Bruce Marshall isn't step one, there is a lack of institutional support.

RSTuthill
06-20-2012, 04:59 PM
If firing Bruce Marshall isn't step one, there is a lack of institutional support.
Easy there, sport. He has been trying to do it with smoke and mirrors (and few tools to get it done) for decades now. Let's see what he can do with the program upgrade. He deserves the chance.

Patman
06-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Easy there, sport. He has been trying to do it with smoke and mirrors (and few tools to get it done) for decades now. Let's see what he can do with the program upgrade. He deserves the chance.

Why?

brassbonanza
06-20-2012, 06:04 PM

You're right that institutional support for the hockey program has been terrible, but that doesn't excuse not finishing with a winning record in the worst conference in the country at least once or twice. IIRC, he has one winning record since going D1 some 15 or so years ago. Even if they're giving you pennies, that's unacceptable for any coach.

Priceless
06-20-2012, 06:28 PM
His first two years in D-I he was 39-26-5 (.593). Since then he is 143-249-44 (.378) and the closest he has come to a winning season is 16-18-2 back in 2007. His D-I total is 182-275-49 (.408).

MarkEagleUSA
06-20-2012, 07:12 PM
If firing Bruce Marshall isn't step one, there is a lack of institutional support.Toot Cahoon is available...

Patman
06-20-2012, 07:25 PM
You're right that institutional support for the hockey program has been terrible, but that doesn't excuse not finishing with a winning record in the worst conference in the country at least once or twice. IIRC, he has one winning record since going D1 some 15 or so years ago. Even if they're giving you pennies, that's unacceptable for any coach.

The next good thing I hear about Marshall will be the first... That being said, the school hasn't exactly tried either.

kingdobbs
06-20-2012, 07:30 PM

I doubt he'll be "fired" fired, instead "tendered his resignation" fired.

While I understand that he's had poor support and few resources to do his job, there's still a burden upon him to do the best of what he can with those resources, and I just don't think he's lived up to that.

He was a successful D-III level coach while UConn was in the ECAC East, and the team was competitive with the top-tier teams like Middlebury and Norwich and plausible tournament contenders had they been eligible, but he couldn't have had more resources available to him then than he did during the time in D-I. And while in D-I, the team was not great. At best, the team was mediocre. So when you have success at one level, and the opposite at a higher level, it sort of suggests a few plausible explanations. One of which is, "Marshall's just not good enough for the task at hand".

ericredaxe
06-20-2012, 07:43 PM

I don't know a single thing about the man but I'm not so sure that is fair to say. With no scholarships and seemingly no support to speak of, what advantage does he have over anyone?

Who knows, he may not be the right man for the job at all, but I don't know if we can say that just looking at his record on paper.

schiegs
06-20-2012, 07:49 PM
True, the institutional support was lacking. But, let's look at the competition. Its not like the other members of the conference were awash in funding and UConn was left out. They had an on campus arena, which is more than about half the conference.

Patman
06-20-2012, 08:12 PM
I don't know a single thing about the man but I'm not so sure that is fair to say. With no scholarships and seemingly no support to speak of, what advantage does he have over anyone?

Who knows, he may not be the right man for the job at all, but I don't know if we can say that just looking at his record on paper.

He always had an instate tuition advantage amongst ct kids and UConn is a strong public school. The few CT players he has had, IMO, speaks volumes

J.D.
06-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Not a fan of adding Notre Dame or UConn. Would have preferred to stay at 10 teams.

ericredaxe
06-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Not a fan of adding Notre Dame or UConn. Would have preferred to stay at 10 teams.

I think most people who are not Norte dame or uconn fans agree with you.

Fliptrips
06-20-2012, 10:20 PM
UCONN will make a coaching change if they move to HE. Marshall will be offerred hockey director/ opertions for the school. UCONN has a short list of coaches if they move to HE. Rick Bennett is #1 on that list. They should add Toot and i promise UCONN will pay any buyout at Union.

brassbonanza
06-20-2012, 10:47 PM
UCONN will make a coaching change if they move to HE. Marshall will be offerred hockey director/ opertions for the school. UCONN has a short list of coaches if they move to HE. Rick Bennett is #1 on that list. They should add Toot and i promise UCONN will pay any buyout at Union.

Do you have knowledge of this or is it a guess?

LTsatch
06-21-2012, 12:16 AM
Hockey East members voted on Wednesday to formally accept Connecticut as the league's 12th member, according to multiple sources.

According to sources, the league will formally invite the Huskies to join the conference, at which point it's expected that UConn will swiftly accept the invitation. A formal announcement could come as soon as Friday, however, is likely to occur next week.

UConn will become the league's 12th member, with Notre Dame joining the conference beginning with the 2013-14 season. It's unknown, as of now, when UConn will join the league, but sources indicate it could be 2014-15. That would allow more notice to Atlantic Hockey, UConn's current home, and more time for the Huskies to secure a better playing facility.

As CHN first reported, Hockey East officials visited UConn in March. Last month, Hockey East commissioner Joe Bertagna told the Associated Press that expansion plans included UConn.

The Huskies are currently a member of Atlantic Hockey.

The seismic shifts in the college hockey landscape, that created the Big Ten and NCHC as of 2013-14, left Notre Dame looking for a new home. Once Notre Dame settled on Hockey East as the 11th team, it was no secret that Hockey East preferred to add a 12th to go with it, to keep the conference membership at an even number.

Connecticut became the natural choice to join its fellow New England state schools Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts and Mass.-Lowell. But there have been many questions over UConn's facility, which is a small on-campus arena that is not desirable for Hockey East play.

It is unknown whether that situation has been definitively addressed, but clearly UConn's answers were enough to satisfy Hockey East officials. Playing at the nearby XL Center in Hartford is considered one possibility, in lieu of an upgrade to the on-campus facility.

Lazyking
06-21-2012, 12:27 AM
Woot!!