Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    I've been reading this thread regularly and I still haven't seen anyone list a legitimate, relevant thing Uconn brings to the table for the league other than that they seem to want 12 and Uconn is a warm body that can fill that spot.
    With all due respect to UConn, I'm thinking that's all they need to bring to the table. Or that HE wants them to bring to the table.

Comment

I've been reading this thread regularly and I still haven't seen anyone list a legitimate, relevant thing Uconn brings to the table for the league other than that they seem to want 12 and Uconn is a warm body that can fill that spot.
      Second largest New England media market.
      Bentley University Hockey
      On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

I've been a UConn fan all my life (not hockey) but I would not want them in if they're going to do the same BS they did with basketball and football, and outsource all of the games to Hartford. That would be an abomination for the sport and the league, especially with XL being a complete dump. I'd rather have RPI if that's going to be the plan.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
          Yeah no.

Yukon is 1-23-0 all time against effing Merrimack
          UMass had a losing record against every HE team when they joined the conference, including 0-9 against the much-vaunted Friars. Was UMass a bad addition to HE?
          Last edited by schiegs; 05-11-2012, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            It's certainly a better choice than a school no one outside of Troy has ever heard of.

RPI has zero national recognition, in any sport; essentially another Holy Cross in the modern era.

Live with it.
            1954 and 1985 never occurred. There's no current D-I team with winning record of over .650 against arguably the most successful program in college hockey history where more than 10 games have been played. Ken Dryden only had 3 losses in college. Got it.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              1954 and 1985 never occurred.
              Sad, but true. That was then, this is now. 27 years ago is ancient history. 58 years ago is prehistotic.

I have the greatest respect for RPI, btw. Actually I have a degree from there. And I am very happy that Clarkson will continue to have them as rivals.

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                Alots make terrible hockey players.

By the way, RIT seems to be doing pretty well playing against alot of unfamiliar teams, too. Air Force packs their arena. Niagara's attendance certainly isn't poor.

There are certainly schools in the AHA who average in the ~500 range, but for some reason, AIC, Sacred Heart, and Bentley aren't included in the HEA expansion talks. There's a school who regularly has attendance in the 3-4k range, is within 20 miles of "fitting the geographic profile," and has some hockey history to bring with them. But, they're getting beat out by a school that has not shown any administrative or financial support for their hockey program, averages a whopping 700 fans for home games, and doesn't even have an arena that fits the minimum for new applicants to HEA (even if they do put in the upgrades that they're planning).

Now, if UConn does do everything that they say they're going to do, then, yes, they're a perfect fit for HEA. However, I'd be sure to get that in writing if I was Bertagna.
                One way to improve financial support is to add scholarships which Uconn will be doing. This move isn't about attendance it never has been. I think Hockey East wants to bring in big time schools for their TV contract... I don't really know but too many people seem bitter that Hockey East is changing. I don't believe Uconn will be a doormat in the league very long nor do I think their presence jeopardizes the league's credibility.

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                  UMass had a losing record against every HE team when they joined the conference, including 0-9 against the much-vaunted Friars. Was UMass a bad addition to HE?
                  The fact that Umass isn't doing much damage in Hockey East isn't helping to convince anyone that Uconn is going to do anything. Umass has fantastic facilities compared to what Uconn has and will have even with XL and a renovated Freitas.

Oh I know, that Hartford tv market is going to win them games once they get into Hockey East, you know, that sport that no one watches and gets bumped nationally for poker and dogshows. Diana Taurasi's adam's apple will also help them win hockey games. And Coach Calhoun's borderline dysfunctional liver will help them win hockey games too. And that Fiesta Bowl they went to will help them win hockey games too.
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Inviatation could come as quick as June.
                    http://www.theuconnblog.com/2012/5/1...d-come-in-june
                    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

The fact that Umass isn't doing much damage in Hockey East isn't helping to convince anyone that Uconn is going to do anything. Umass has fantastic facilities compared to what Uconn has and will have even with XL and a renovated Freitas.

Oh I know, that Hartford tv market is going to win them games once they get into Hockey East, you know, that sport that no one watches and gets bumped nationally for poker and dogshows. Diana Taurasi's adam's apple will also help them win hockey games. And Coach Calhoun's borderline dysfunctional liver will help them win hockey games too. And that Fiesta Bowl they went to will help them win hockey games too.
                      Nick,
                      You seem bitter...UCONN has built nationally recognized programs in a bunch of sports, not just one. National Championships in basketball, womens basketball, soccer, field hockey, a number of NCAA champs in track and field, a BCS game in football (complain about how they did it all you want, BC the only other D1 program in the region hasn't done it, Syracuse hasn't done it). Womens soccer has been to several final fours. Baseball is looking at a possilble 3rd straight NCAA bid with a trip to the super-regional where they lost in 3 games to the team that one it all. That they haven't done anything in hockey might mean they won't but given their history, it could also mean that they simply haven made much effort to date. Once they decide to make it a big time sport, invest in it, I suspect that they will be at least reasonably successful. Maybe more than reasonably successful in the long run. that has been the way it has worked so far. And while I don't mean to knock my UMass friends, don't ever assume that UCONN will model itself after UMass. If anything, it is the other way around.

Comment

I'm sure that if all else fails, UConn will sue their way into the conference.
                        National Champions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                        Hockey East Tournament Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                        Hockey East Regular Season Champions: 2014, 2012, 2011, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986, 1985

Originally posted by SteveF
                        two things you need to know about the current state of BU hockey

a) fanboys chanted 'thank you seniors' at the beanpot
                        b) fanboys chanted 'wheres your beanpot' while getting blown out in the semis of the HE tournament

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                          Nick,You seem bitter
                          especially about the Venerable Jack Parker.
                          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                            That's not helping your case

All ZooMass is good for is 2 wins for BC before heading to the Garden

Edit: I'll take the snark out for 1 second here's how UMass finished in conf
                            2011-12: 8th
                            2010-11: 8th
                            2009-10: 6th
                            2008-09: 7th
                            2007-08: 8th

Not to mention Mullins for all its faults is light years ahead of whatever Yukon is proposing.
                            Last edited by claver2010; 05-11-2012, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by REDMEN2002 View Post
                              I'm sure that if all else fails, UConn will sue their way into the conference.
                              Then their alcoholic coach will claim "WE R NEVA PLAYIN BC!" and they'll end up in an even lower conference just like what happened a decade ago.

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                                That's not helping your case

All ZooMass is good for is 2 wins for BC before heading to the Garden

Edit: I'll take the snark out for 1 second here's how UMass finished in conf
                                2011-12: 8th
                                2010-11: 8th
                                2009-10: 6th
                                2008-09: 7th
                                2007-08: 8th

Not to mention Mullins for all its faults is light years ahead of whatever Yukon is proposing.
                                So again I ask, are you saying that adding UMass was bad for HE?

Aside from the obvious advantage of the on-campus arena, did UMass have any better reasons to be admitted than UConn has now? It's not like UMass had a bunch of hockey acolades to bring with them. Heck, when UMass was announced to be added to HE, they didn't even have a varsity hockey program.

Comment

Working...
                                X