PDA

View Full Version : UConn to apply to Hockey East

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

troyboy
05-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Maybe.

I still don't understand why Hockey East would take UConn, though. It does nothing to benefit anyone except UConn. Looking at the all time HE records one finds out that either BU/BC have won 70% of the HE tournaments and 63% of the regular season titles. One might conclude that HE is top heavy. Sure Maine had a little run in another lifetime and UNH has its brief moments the overwhelming evidence says that the Jack/Jerry show has pretty much had its own way over the years. Adding ND will be a test for sure so looking for an additional team that still has training wheels on is not a big surprise. Uconn has all the resources to become a legit HE program but most likely not in Jack and Jerry's tenure so thats whats in it for HE. Im not attempting to downgrade HE it is a fine league that has won more than its share of national titles. In fact w/o HE the last championship won by an eastern team would have been in 1989 by Harvard so HE keeps Eastern college hockey relevent. I believe therefore Uconn is a good choice for the 12th team for both parties there may have been better choices, Uconn was maybe not the safe pick but one that works on several levels. JMO

ExileOnDaytonStreet
05-20-2012, 01:33 PM
I find it amusing that people assume that the UConn that plays in AHA is going to be the UConn that joins HE. The AHA team might as well be a club team, it's a varsity program in name only, and I suspect that's why so many assume that they "bring nothing to the table".

While no one would expect them to contend in HE immediately (like we might be able to say that Notre Dame could), it's still going to be a big name school with a budget that vastly eclipses 2/3 of the rest of the conference offering max scholarships. At its worst, UConn could end up being just another bottom feeder that doesn't draw more than a few thousand a game. HE already has plenty of those programs: ones that have little hope and fewer expectations because they'll need a lucky year to compete with BU/BC. In that case, you've lost nothing. But at best, you gain a huge brand name with a BCS budget and a history of reasonable success in other sports. That means something.

mookie1995
05-20-2012, 01:52 PM
I find it amusing that people assume that the UConn that plays in AHA is going to be the UConn that joins HE. The AHA team might as well be a club team, it's a varsity program in name only, and I suspect that's why so many assume that they "bring nothing to the table".

While no one would expect them to contend in HE immediately (like we might be able to say that Notre Dame could), it's still going to be a big name school with a budget that vastly eclipses 2/3 of the rest of the conference offering max scholarships. At its worst, UConn could end up being just another bottom feeder that doesn't draw more than a few thousand a game. HE already has plenty of those programs: ones that have little hope and fewer expectations because they'll need a lucky year to compete with BU/BC. In that case, you've lost nothing. But at best, you gain a huge brand name with a BCS budget and a history of reasonable success in other sports. That means something.
Listen to the outsider from a state school where state schools matter (ie, outside of Massachusetts). Wise comment that makes a load of sense.

CHFAN222
05-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Listen to the outsider from a state school where state schools matter (ie, outside of Massachusetts). Wise comment that makes a load of sense.

With the way private college costs have been rising I wouldn't be surprised to start the best and most talented Mass students going to Umass and Umass Lowell in the next 20 years and having them matter a lot more...

LTsatch
05-20-2012, 04:01 PM
With the way private college costs have been rising I wouldn't be surprised to start the best and most talented Mass students going to Umass and Umass Lowell in the next 20 years and having them matter a lot more...

I don't think the kids that are talented enough to play for BC and BU are paying much for college. Shoot, why pay, when you don't even have to attend class. ;)

Patman
05-20-2012, 05:33 PM

There will always be schollies available for the high end talent... But, yeah... I think a lot of your "on the cusp" types will start making that calculation...

I think, however, when the people who had to pay those loans have their kids go to school.... Yes, so very yes.

mookie1995
05-20-2012, 07:02 PM
I don't think the kids that are talented enough to play for BC and BU are paying much for college. Shoot, why pay, when you don't even have to attend class. ;)

He was talking about regular joe student. From PA west and south, THE state university matters. People like to see their kids go there. North and east of PA all people care about are private schools.

AspyDad
05-23-2012, 01:14 PM
I don't think anyone has psoted this article. Other HE league members think that Huskies will be a force.
http://www.unionleader.com/article/20120520/SPORTS/705209934

Priceless
05-23-2012, 01:39 PM
I don't think anyone has psoted this article. Other HE league members think that Huskies will be a force.

What do you expect? Umile to say having UConn on the schedule is an easy W? :p

On another note: yet another college hockey writer who apparently thinks PWR is short for "power ratings". :mad:

aparch
05-23-2012, 01:54 PM
What do you expect? Umile to say having UConn on the schedule is an easy W? :p

On another note: yet another college hockey writer who apparently thinks PWR is short for "power ratings". :mad:Shhhh. If we can start making writers think the PWR is a power ranking (or a poll type ranking), maybe we can get rid of the stupid USA Today polls that never make sense.

Although, having a sportswriter explain why Michigan Tech is ranked #1 in the nation after the first week might be a little tough. :D

RSTuthill
05-24-2012, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the link. Umile takes the long view which is appropriate. When is the HE annual meeting? Second week in June?

Wicked Slappaahs
05-24-2012, 07:56 AM

Not a stretch - especially if UConn applies the same academic standards it uses for its men's basketball team. They 'll recruit all the crooked nosed 23 yr old kids they want, without those pesky academic standards getting in the way. Just win baby.

LynahFan
05-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Not a stretch - especially if UConn applies the same academic standards it uses for its men's basketball team. They 'll recruit all the crooked nosed 23 yr old kids they want, without those pesky academic standards getting in the way. Just win baby.Plus, they're about to corner the market on gay hockey players. (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7968996/uconn-gay-hockey-players-welcome-play-connecticut-huskies)

(seriously, though - good for UConn. I approve)

RSTuthill
05-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Plus, they're about to corner the market on gay hockey players. (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7968996/uconn-gay-hockey-players-welcome-play-connecticut-huskies)

(seriously, though - good for UConn. I approve)
You can expect a lot more teams to join UConn in this.

boblav1
05-25-2012, 11:02 AM
You can expect a lot more teams to join UConn in this.

Northeastern also has a You Can Play (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4A0BLTiTCA) video out.

schiegs
05-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Trust me, no one wants to be the Boston Red Sox of college hockey on this issue, and be the last one on the bus.

Jim
05-25-2012, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the link. Umile takes the long view which is appropriate. When is the HE annual meeting? Second week in June?Both Umile and the AD seem to get it. Sounds like this is actually going to happen. Gonna be fun...

LtPowers
05-26-2012, 10:50 AM
“Right now, we're looking very closely at UConn,” said Marty Scarano, the director of athletics at UNH. “I think it's safe to say that it's very close to being consummated.”

Does that means someone's getting screwed?

Powers &8^]

Patman
05-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Does that means someone's getting screwed?

Powers &8^]

I'd say, given public knowledge, UConn. They'll get better but given current info I don't see them being a player.

Priceless
05-26-2012, 02:17 PM
I'd say, given public knowledge, UConn. They'll get better but given current info I don't see them being a player.

Read the quote he posted (in particular, the last word) then read what he wrote.

;)