Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    I'm confident that the latter's attendance won't be the problem that so many think it will be, considering their proximity to the core of HE.
    Are you saying that the fact that BC/BU/UNH/etc fans will travel to UConn will offset the fact that UConn fans would rather watch women's basketball? That certainly makes their admission to HEA a no-brainer.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

It's certainly a better choice than a school no one outside of Troy has ever heard of.

RPI has zero national recognition, in any sport; essentially another Holy Cross in the modern era.

Live with it.
      Last edited by Fishman'81; 05-11-2012, 01:31 AM.

Comment

its not like Uconn hockey before this time has given anyone besides current students any reason to go watch them play. They're currently running on zero scholarships so its hard to bring in anyone and they play in a conference with alot of unfamiliar teams to the rest of their athletics. I don't think attendance will be great, this state is very much a front running town but I fail to see how them joining hockey east will be a bad thing for Hockey east or Uconn.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
          It's certainly a better choice than a school no one outside of Troy has ever heard of.

RPI has zero national recognition, in any sport; essentially another Holy Cross in the modern era.

Live with it.
          I would take RPI in Hockey East way before UConn.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
            Maybe you don't notice the signature... I spent FIVE years at UConn... THREE of those living 50 feet from Gampel. I do not trust that UConn will invest in the required items and I worry that UConn will wobble... especially given the financial problems. I don't know if UConn has gotten through their issues but they were really having problems propping up when i was headed out. Bottom line is that I want HEA to have an out clause that's exercisable if UConn does not show continued commitment to facilities... 5K seats, etc, etc. I also believe that HCC/XL is a non-starter. Sounds nice, but its not practical. Without an out clause I think they'd be extremely foolish. On the other hand, if UConn half-asses it that's good for Lowell.
            Patman's words should not be overlooked; think about 'terms and conditions' and make them stick! Had HEA moved to consider and invite RPI to be their 12th member, no one would have questioned RPI's commitment to play and compete at a high level. HEA may have invited someone who is 'happy to be here' and happy to reside in the second division for years to come.

Ma#1ne Hky gets it.
            Here we come!

Comment

There is a lot more to this than simply UConn joining Hockey East. Connecticut sees it as a necessary move in case Notre Dame does join the ACC in all sports. The association with BC and Notre Dame would give them enough of a nudge to place them just above Rutgers for that coveted 16th ACC spot. If that does happen then this would be an acceptable move by Hockey East as it would cement Notre Dame in Hockey East for the long term as well. If not then perhaps Notre Dame would leave sometime down the road(I do think they will stay even in that case for at least 7 or 8 years though) and the door would re-open for a school like RPI, Holy Cross or URI to close the book on a totally intact geographic conference.

Comment

Re: Fishman'81 and UConn being well situated to the core of the HEA fanbase...

Can't you hear Joe Bertagna at the presser now:
                "I am pleased to announce that the Washington Generals have accepted an invitation to join Hockey East beginning with the 2013/14 season. And our newest member has agreed to take the role as 'the visiting team' even in games played in Hartford and in their on-campus facility in Storrs, throwing open the doors in a welcoming gesture to fans of HEA member schools. The Generals will be aggressively marketing their team on NESN under the banner 'Our home is your home. C'mon down!' "
                Last edited by fr joe; 05-11-2012, 05:54 AM.
                Here we come!

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                  There is a lot more to this than simply UConn joining Hockey East. Connecticut sees it as a necessary move in case Notre Dame does join the ACC in all sports. The association with BC and Notre Dame would give them enough of a nudge to place them just above Rutgers for that coveted 16th ACC spot. If that does happen then this would be an acceptable move by Hockey East as it would cement Notre Dame in Hockey East for the long term as well. If not then perhaps Notre Dame would leave sometime down the road(I do think they will stay even in that case for at least 7 or 8 years though) and the door would re-open for a school like RPI, Holy Cross or URI to close the book on a totally intact geographic conference.
                  Maybe I am just being cynical, but I don't see ADs from Florida State, Miami, North Carolina, Duke, etc. giving one hoot that UConn is in a hockey conference with BC and Notre Dame.

Comment

[QUOTE=Fishman'81;5443568]It's certainly a better choice than a school no one outside of Troy has ever heard of.

Live with it. [Quote]

What the hell does national recognition have to do with it? Its a team with no fans, no hockey recognition, no arena and no success. Union would be a better choice than UConn and you can have the 18 scholarships! Uconn will be the 12th team and when ND leaves for the NCHC in a few years I hope HE boots them out and the AHA doesnt take them back. You draw as many fans as Alabama Huntsville so you can schedule each other 16 times to fill in you schedule.
                    Last edited by johnk; 05-11-2012, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                      Every single HE team benefits from the addition of UConn. Yes, including BC. Forget the current on-ice product, it will be completley different in five years than the present incarnation. The conference as a whole just added the second largest New England media market to its footprint, two new rivalries, and the second largest student body in New England. To assume their attendance and fan support for HE games would remain the same as it is today is myopic. The "12th team" benefit is simply the bow on the wrapping.
                      Yeah no.

Outside of 2 wins every year there is zero benefit

Yukon is 1-23-0 all time against effing Merrimack

http://www.bcinterruption.com/2012/5...ast-notre-dame

Comment

Originally posted by Lazyking View Post
                        its not like Uconn hockey before this time has given anyone besides current students any reason to go watch them play. They're currently running on zero scholarships so its hard to bring in anyone and they play in a conference with alot of unfamiliar teams to the rest of their athletics. I don't think attendance will be great, this state is very much a front running town but I fail to see how them joining hockey east will be a bad thing for Hockey east or Uconn.
                        Alots make terrible hockey players.

By the way, RIT seems to be doing pretty well playing against alot of unfamiliar teams, too. Air Force packs their arena. Niagara's attendance certainly isn't poor.

There are certainly schools in the AHA who average in the ~500 range, but for some reason, AIC, Sacred Heart, and Bentley aren't included in the HEA expansion talks. There's a school who regularly has attendance in the 3-4k range, is within 20 miles of "fitting the geographic profile," and has some hockey history to bring with them. But, they're getting beat out by a school that has not shown any administrative or financial support for their hockey program, averages a whopping 700 fans for home games, and doesn't even have an arena that fits the minimum for new applicants to HEA (even if they do put in the upgrades that they're planning).

Now, if UConn does do everything that they say they're going to do, then, yes, they're a perfect fit for HEA. However, I'd be sure to get that in writing if I was Bertagna.
                        Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

I've been reading this thread regularly and I still haven't seen anyone list a legitimate, relevant thing Uconn brings to the table for the league other than that they seem to want 12 and Uconn is a warm body that can fill that spot.
                          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                            Bad news is that Uconn is never going to be any good in hockey. Ever.
                            Hmmm ... how long did it take UConn to get to a BCS Bowl after upgrading to FBS status? Has anyone else in New England ever done that, in any amount of time?

Don't be so sure that UConn will never be any good. This is a very tough sport in which to make a mark, so it could take some time; but let's revisit this topic in ten years. Right now, lets all take a collective deep slow breath and calm down to see what develops.

Comment

Congrats. UConn won the worst conference in major college football. The MWC was better that year and maybe even the WAC.

UCONN winning the BE that year was kind of the equivalent to winning the AHA in hockey ... oh never mind.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                                Hmmm ... how long did it take UConn to get to a BCS Bowl after upgrading to FBS status? Has anyone else in New England ever done that, in any amount of time?
                                Yes, it's amazing that a team could win a BCS berth with an 8-4 record via tiebreaker in a 3-way tie in the worst major conference in the BCS after 3 of the 4 best teams left the conference. That, plus losing by 4 TDs to Oklahoma and losing $1.8 million on the trip to the Fiesta... definitely worth bragging about!!!!

Everyone's impressed (cue the "Uconn has a football team?" question from anyone west of New York).

Problem is, the big boys (BC, BU) aren't going anywhere and Uconn is never going to touch them on a consistent basis. Good luck having a great team in a year when both of those teams aren't up to snuff.

Definitely come back in 10 years and let me know how that is going. I'll show you the new banners BC wins between now and 2022.
                                Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 05-11-2012, 10:01 AM.
                                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Working...
                                X