Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

Originally posted by Lazyking View Post
    What kind of commitment? They're probably looking right now into updating their facilities. They did so when they decided to go up to division one football, there is no reason they wouldn't for hockey. Yes, I know Hockey isn't the revenue maker but obviously you don't make this kind of jump, adding full scholarships and half *** it. That would be stupid.
    Maybe you don't notice the signature... I spent FIVE years at UConn... THREE of those living 50 feet from Gampel. I do not trust that UConn will invest in the required items and I worry that UConn will wobble... especially given the financial problems. I don't know if UConn has gotten through their issues but they were really having problems propping up when i was headed out. Bottom line is that I want HEA to have an out clause that's exercisable if UConn does not show continued commitment to facilities... 5K seats, etc, etc. I also believe that HCC/XL is a non-starter. Sounds nice, but its not practical. Without an out clause I think they'd be extremely foolish. On the other hand, if UConn half-asses it that's good for Lowell.

In the end, the real mistake as Notre Dame... but that's done and we'll have pains because that hasty action.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

this is the right move - for UConn and Hockey East. they should've done this years ago. it's a better move than adding Notre Dame, for the obvious geographic reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
        Let's all just wait until Notre Dame joins the Big 10 and gets the hell out of Hockey East. Then we'll be back to 10 teams.
        Notre Dame should join Big 10 hockey. I'm really kind of surprised the league commissioner didn't have the foresight to invite them initially. Everyone's been saying it for years - Notre Dame is essentially a Big 10 team. If their football team ever broken down and joined a league (which i actually hope never happens), it would be the Big 10 and sure as hell not the Big East. Notre Dame hockey in the Big 10 makes way more sense than them trekking across the east coast to play in New England.

If Notre Dame were to leave Hockey East, the HEA should enter into serious talks with URI to get the Rams to step up their program to NCAA division 1. They've won an ACHA div 1 title and play in a rink that's not any worse than what UConn plays in now. They're a major public, state University with a strong hockey tradition at the club level. they fit the criteria. It would make total sense to have the six major New England state Universities - UConn, UMass, Vermont, UNH, Maine and URI - all in the same hockey league.

as for football and the olympic sports - UMass should join Temple in the Big East. Again, it makes total sense, and probably should have happened years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
          It would probably be "addition by subtraction", yes. If it were to be done, it would be for the purposes of television.

UMA only brings Springfield with it, which is a market outside the top 100 (and made somewhat redundant being sandwiched between Boston and Hartford, DMA-wise).
          IDK about that... I'd be willing to bet that UMA will travel better to CT than any other fan base.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            IDK about that... I'd be willing to bet that UMA will travel better to CT than any other fan base.
            In-person support for a team is a different thing entirely from potential support from a broader market area. In a way, they are quite orthogonal to each other; a person in the arena is, by definition, someone to whom a television network cannot advertise.

Witness the passing over of East Carolina football by the Big East in two successive expansions.
            UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              I think that RPI was interested but read the tea leaves correctly long ago.
              Happy they will be staying in the ECAC. Another red school for us Clarkson fans to hate Wouldn't be the same without them. I am sure that Union feels the same way.

(And I do have an RPI MS in ME.)

Comment

• Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
                It would probably be "addition by subtraction", yes. If it were to be done, it would be for the purposes of television.

This is not to say that the programs themselves are a drag competitively, but now that Hockey East has its own national TV contract with NBCSN, it will be something to consider in the future. And the "elephant in the room" problem TV wise is that Hockey East has six of its current ten in the Boston DMA. Notre Dame will add a small home market, but presence in New York and Chicago (there's no doubt in my mind Notre Dame will be trying to leverage its 'subway alumni' for hockey, which is why NBCSN is fairly interested in ND hockey in the first place), and should UConn join, they add the 'best available' DMA to the HEA portfolio (Hartford-New Haven, in the top 30; HEA's current next best is Providence-New Bedford, somewhere in the 50-55 range).

With that amount of redundancy, Hockey East could probably secure a similar contract with fewer teams. Merrimack, Northeastern and UML could probably be dropped with no significant loss to the league's presence in the Boston DMA. UMA only brings Springfield with it, which is a market outside the top 100 (and made somewhat redundant being sandwiched between Boston and Hartford, DMA-wise). Hypothetically, were those four to be "left behind" from an Eastern NCHC, the per-team revenue share for that league would probably go up even if the contract itself stayed the same.

Now, if the line holds true thus far, and college hockey does not make for a significant source of ratings (read: advertising revenue), then such a possibility would be moot; if the overall contract is ****, then it doesn't matter if the per-team share is too low, because it won't be a measurable source of revenue for the teams. But I would think the "big players" in Hockey East would be foolish not to have such a plan in their back pocket.
                If you are worried about tv ratings and revenue re: college hockey, then you're fooling yourself. Look at this guy kicking out MC, UML, NU, etc. What a joke premise that is. As soon as you realize college hockey is a niche sport, the better off you'll be. Can't believe you wasted your time typing that.
                National Champions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                Hockey East Tournament Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                Hockey East Regular Season Champions: 2014, 2012, 2011, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986, 1985

Originally posted by SteveF
                two things you need to know about the current state of BU hockey

a) fanboys chanted 'thank you seniors' at the beanpot
                b) fanboys chanted 'wheres your beanpot' while getting blown out in the semis of the HE tournament

Comment

• Originally posted by REDMEN2002 View Post
                  If you are worried about tv ratings and revenue re: college hockey, then you're fooling yourself. Look at this guy kicking out MC, UML, NU, etc. What a joke premise that is. As soon as you realize college hockey is a niche sport, the better off you'll be. Can't believe you wasted your time typing that.
                  Yeah, that's exactly what he was saying

I am somewhat aware on BC's position with regards to Lowell's membership in HEA. I'm not in favor of it.
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by REDMEN2002 View Post
                    If I were kingdobbs, I would figure out a way to walk that back somehow. Put it down to stream of consciousness idle dreaming or something.

I have learned over the years that not every thought that pops into one's head is worthy of message board publication. Maybe this is one of those learning opportunities.

Comment

Television markets are VERY IMPORTANT to this conversation about a sport that no one watches on tv.

VERY VERY IMPORTANT!
                      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                        Television markets are VERY IMPORTANT to this conversation about a sport that no one watches on tv.

VERY VERY IMPORTANT!
                        Thank you, Bear Red.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                          Maybe you don't notice the signature... I spent FIVE years at UConn... THREE of those living 50 feet from Gampel. I do not trust that UConn will invest in the required items and I worry that UConn will wobble... especially given the financial problems. I don't know if UConn has gotten through their issues but they were really having problems propping up when i was headed out. Bottom line is that I want HEA to have an out clause that's exercisable if UConn does not show continued commitment to facilities... 5K seats, etc, etc. I also believe that HCC/XL is a non-starter. Sounds nice, but its not practical. Without an out clause I think they'd be extremely foolish. On the other hand, if UConn half-asses it that's good for Lowell.

In the end, the real mistake as Notre Dame... but that's done and we'll have pains because that hasty action.
                          I'm not sure about financial side, I do know that they're maxed out on title IX and instead of adding another sport, they're just adding more scholarships for woman. They also just signed a better deal for woman's basketball and have a new AD. I agree with you that XL center shouldn't be a soloution esp considering that it's gonna cost I think 20k a game to play there but I'm not sure how long renovations/new on campus arena will take.

Bottom line is, I dont think Uconn accepts the invite if they are just gonna be happy to play in an empty xl center. That will make them look bad.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            Thank you, Bear Red.
                            You're welcome, Red Cloud.
                            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

UCONN will join. If they had doubts about joining they wouldn't have gotten this far.

Barring any last minute freakouts similar to what happened when Villanova football tried to join Big East football this move will happen.

Comment

The new SNY deal for women's BB can probably fund the HE admission all by itself. Agree this is going to happen. They are just into the details which all have to get laid flat before going forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X