Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

Originally posted by Jim View Post
    Well, good point, but didn't they win th etournament in 2006 to get into the NCAAs? have to admit I don't recall all the details.
    No.
    Originally posted by mookie1995
    bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
    Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
    Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Well, good point, but didn't they win th etournament in 2006 to get into the NCAAs? have to admit I don't recall all the details.
      UMass hasn't really ever challenged for the regular season title (to my knowledge, which admittedly doesn't go back as far as 1995). In 2004, the Minutemen lost the Championship Game to Maine in triple overtime. So far, it's the only appearance in the championship game.

In 2007, UMass made the NCAAs, but that year they lost in the Hockey East semi finals to UNH.
      #NewMass

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
        UMass hasn't really ever challenged for the regular season title (to my knowledge, which admittedly doesn't go back as far as 1995). In 2004, the Minutemen lost the Championship Game to Maine in triple overtime. So far, it's the only appearance in the championship game.

In 2007, UMass made the NCAAs, but that year they lost in the Hockey East semi finals to UNH.
        I guess I was confusing those two events...I was thinking that they made the NCAAs the year they go tto the Finals. In any case, I wasn't originally intending to say UMass had in fact won anything, merely to suggest that UCONN would likely follow a similar path in that they would likely struggle in the early years and get better as time went on. As a UCONN fan, I would hope that they would succeed more quickly and with a higher upside, but that is a hope not a guarentee. Given UCONN's history of success in other sports, I would have to think it is at least not implausible to think that they could succeed here, too.

Comment

I guess I have the same view, just win more games but if you really htink it is an issue you could rotate who people play 4 times each season so BC and BU play 4 times in 2014, but next year BC plays Providence and BU palys UMass...it wouldn't help in any given season, but over the long run it would even out. I might be a hardliner on this, but I don't really see it as any different than a team that makes it to the NCAA final through a relatively easy bracket where the the 7 and 8 seeds pull off upsets while the other side has to beat all the "high" seeds. Luck of the draw.
          On the other hand though... I don't really see the point in doing that... for what? Two extra conference games? I think you are better off keeping it as balanced as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            Maine and ND are going to make for some brutal travel-weekends for everyone, at one point or the other. Teams in HE will likely have to fly at times to play each other, which has never happened before... But, at least there will be a few more OOC games to be scheduled, and that is a big deal re: the all-important PWR. (Which truly is the only thing that matters in this discussion.)
            And this would actually lend itself to keeping Hockey East at 11 teams... that way any team playing at ND only has one game that particular weekend... everyone else can drive. As for ND, well, they wanted to be in a conference that makes no geographic sense, so let them fly as much as they have to.

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
              Would Hockey East have the TV contract it is getting wtihout ND? I'm not so sure. That is the value of the Irish to any conference. UConn is a team that casual sports fan would recognize. That brings value. It's more about the brand than the quality of the actual teams.
              I don't know... there has not really been a lack of Hockey East games on TV over the past few years (at least for the "bigger" teams.)

Comment

I have been very pleased with the attention to college hockey given by The NBC Sports Network. They (NBC) already have a lock on Notre Dame football, right? I think NESN is probably a bit unsure about whether the additions of Notre Dame & probably Connecticut will help them or hurt them with respect to televising Friday night Hockey East. I suppose people never tire of Charlie Moore: The Mad Fisherman, so there's that to look forward to.

In time, I could see BC-Notre Dame and BU-Notre Dame being moved to TD Garden if demand were robust enough. Not right away, but eventually. And replace Harvard with UConn in the Beanpot
                Chris V
                Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
                  In time, I could see BC-Notre Dame and BU-Notre Dame being moved to TD Garden if demand were robust enough. Not right away, but eventually.
                  Honestly I really doubt this... if anything the novelty of seeing Notre Dame will wear off after a couple of years and the demmand will be about the same as any other game.

Comment

I'm not sure that ND will ever create much demand re: pucks... Whatever football cache they still possess really hasn't rubbed-off very well on their other sports, even on a good-if-not-dominant hockey program.

BUT, I'm fairly confident that the numb TV bigwigs will see it differently, and that HEA's exposure will increase as a result... And I'm thinking that the HE league office is banking on that.

Comment

And replace Harvard with UConn in the Beanpot
                      Ha ha ha. Right.

Comment

And replace Harvard with UConn in the Beanpot
                        Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                        Ha ha ha. Right.
                        UConn will be playing their home games in Boston proper to accommodate this scenario.
                        http://www.fmcicesports.com/public/l...ston/index.htm
                        Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                        What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Guessing an announcement one way or the other within a week or two based on nothing but the tea leaves. Certainly by the end of the month I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                            Guessing an announcement one way or the other within a week or two based on nothing but the tea leaves. Certainly by the end of the month I would think.
                            Keeping my fingers crossed...

Comment

Meh... We need a 12th I guess. Might as well be uconn.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                                Meh... We need a 12th I guess. Might as well be uconn.
                                That's the spirit!
                                Originally posted by mookie1995
                                bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                                Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                                Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Working...
                                X