PDA

View Full Version : UConn to apply to Hockey East

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

Nick Papagiorgio
05-11-2012, 03:57 PM
But UMass has a great lacrosse team. Surely that would mean they would be great at every other sport, including hockey, right?

Nick Papagiorgio
05-11-2012, 04:00 PM
So again I ask, are you saying that adding UMass was bad for HE?
[/B]

Has it been any good?

schiegs
05-11-2012, 04:08 PM
Has it been any good?

If by "good" you are referring to record, no. And by that arguement, HE should be made up of BU, BC, UNH, and Maine. They can play each other 7 times each year and call it a conference.

If by "good" you mean adding the flagship university of an entire state, bringing a few thousand additional fans to the game, and expanding the exposure of the conference to Western, Mass, then yes, they have been good. Same is to be said (even more so) by the addition of UConn.... and they actually have a varsity hockey program at the time of consideration, unlike UMass.

Nick Papagiorgio
05-11-2012, 04:15 PM
If by "good" you mean adding the flagship university of an entire state, bringing a few thousand additional fans to the game, and expanding the exposure of the conference to Western, Mass, then yes, they have been good. Same is to be said (even more so) by the addition of UConn.... and they actually have a varsity hockey program at the time of consideration, unlike UMass.

Yes, those 3,622 and 3,441 fan attendance numbers from the 2005 regional at Mullins really knocked everyone's socks off with the thousands of fans they brought (I'm being facetious, they were mostly UNH and Harvard fans) via the exposure the league brought to Western, MA. It just blew everyone away I tell ya.

Being the flagship university in MA (if there is any state it isn't relevant in, it's MA) certainly has helped them win lots of games and has done wonders for this conference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim
05-11-2012, 04:49 PM
But UMass has a great lacrosse team. Surely that would mean they would be great at every other sport, including hockey, right?Nope, and here's the difference...UCONN has a pattern of success,it's not a one hit wonder. I think national championships in 3 different sports since 2000, multiple titles in mens and womens basketball and a soccer championship, plus the other successes, suggests that UCONN isn't a one hit wonder. It is not unlike Ohio State and Michigan and a few others in knowing how to be successful in multiple sports. I guess we'll see who is right in a few years. If I were BC, I wouldn't be too worried about UCONN either, but I owuld be scared to death that Gene D decides to provide his own special brand of "help" to the hockey team...you guys might be hoping to get into AHA if that happens...

Lazyking
05-11-2012, 05:18 PM
So basically, unless teams sellout their arenas, and win the Hockey east conference within the first five years, they are bad for the league?

Such elitism sigh.

If Uconn, Notre dame, Umass don't effect in any way your school's birthright to the national title then why do you care?

brassbonanza
05-11-2012, 05:20 PM
nd they actually have a varsity hockey program at the time of consideration, unlike UMass.

To be fair, UConn's program is "varsity" in name only.

Lazyking
05-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Yeah, they play on zero scholarships at the moment.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
05-11-2012, 05:27 PM
To be fair, UConn's program is "varsity" in name only.

True. But it exists, and that is kind of the point.

Frankly, I agree with the notion that UConn brings more potential upside than UMass ever did.

mookie1995
05-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Being the flagship university in MA (if there is any state it isn't relevant in, it's MA) certainly has helped them win lots of games and has done wonders for this conference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

makes me think of family feud...

we asked 100 people and the top answers are on the board... name for me a university in Massachusetts...

"UMASS"

uuhhhhhhggggnnnn X

RSTuthill
05-11-2012, 07:39 PM
I hate to jump into a Massachusetts food fight, but didn't we just see Jonathan Quick and the Los Angeles Kings take out the number 1 and 2 seeds in the West? St. Louis in 4 straight I believe. Played for UMass, went to a CT prep school (AOF), both of which got mention on national TV last weekend.

Just sayin' ....

LtPowers
05-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Wow... I knew Boston hockey fans were insular, but this is ridiculous.

Powers &8^]

MattS
05-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Yeah, they play on zero scholarships at the moment.

So? It's not like a college MUST have scholie to be a varsity program or a nationally competitive program. Not that UCONN is nationally competitive.

Lazyking
05-11-2012, 08:48 PM
So? It's not like a college MUST have scholie to be a varsity program or even a nationally competitive program. Not that UCONN is nationally competitive.

And Uconn has had guys get signed by NHL clubs.. my point is though that its much more difficult when your a school that gives out scholarships for every other big sport and then go out and recruit guys that better love the school or they can get a free ride at a bunch of schools in the area.

Carmine Scarpaglia
05-11-2012, 08:54 PM
I hate to jump into a Massachusetts food fight, but didn't we just see Jonathan Quick and the Los Angeles Kings take out the number 1 and 2 seeds in the West? St. Louis in 4 straight I believe. Played for UMass, went to a CT prep school (AOF), both of which got mention on national TV last weekend.

Just sayin' ....

I see your point. So what you're saying is that maybe Hockey East should add Norwich since Keith Aucoin has been doing well in the playoffs as well. Not a bad idea, they're in New England so they're in the footprint. They've won some DIII titles...

Not a bad idea...

Lazyking
05-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Did you really just compare Keith Aucoin to one of the best goalies on the planet? wow lol.

If you don't get that point, then there is no hope.

REDMEN2002
05-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Did you really just compare Keith Aucoin to one of the best goalies on the planet? wow lol.

If you don't get that point, then there is no hope.

He compared Aucoin to whatever stiff from Yukon that got signed by an nhl team. #neverheardofhim

Lazyking
05-11-2012, 09:24 PM
He compared Aucoin to whatever stiff from Yukon that got signed by an nhl team. #neverheardofhim

um no he didn't, Jonathan Quick never played for Uconn, he's from the state... only one that mentioned Cole Schiender was me. If you've never heard of Quick, you've never watched the NHL.

RSTuthill
05-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Have no idea where this thread is headed, but it is surely entertaining:D I was just defending UMass a little, that's all.

Schneider is a helluva player, btw. You may hear of him in the future.

Lazyking
05-11-2012, 09:46 PM
I'm not trying to start anything but if you're gonna insult a player at least make sure he went to the school you're insulting lol.

As for Schneider, he played really well last year but I'm not sure what he is if anything in the NHL. I thought Bartus would have gotten more of a look considering he carried Uconn on his back in the AHA tourny.. should have been blown out by Air force if not for him.