UConn to apply to Hockey East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
    The difference is ND hockey brings something to the table, UConn doesn't.

But agreed with those above, 10 was fine, 11 was dumb, 12 is dumber.
    Other way around. UConn brings something if done right... ND is as useful ad an appendix.

Edit: and it should be clearly noted, the way the BCers treat UConn is the same way they'd treat the rest of us if they had the chance. If UConn is not in their class... Then what of the rest of the league.

Personally, I think the palpable visceral hatred is a selling point on its own just because of the attention which turns into ticket sales. Instant rivalry. After all, if our highly educated elite can turned into a frenzy at a drop of a hat then there is surely something of marketable value.
    Last edited by Patman; 04-25-2012, 08:32 AM.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

Originally posted by Patman View Post
      Edit: and it should be clearly noted, the way the BCers treat UConn is the same way they'd treat the rest of us if they had the chance. If UConn is not in their class... Then what of the rest of the league.

Personally, I think the palpable visceral hatred is a selling point on its own just because of the attention which turns into ticket sales. Instant rivalry. After all, if our highly educated elite can turned into a frenzy at a drop of a hat then there is surely something of marketable value.
      Seems like this knuckledragger has forgotten about the Connecticut led lawsuit.
      Originally posted by mookie1995
      bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
      Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
      Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Who was asleep at the switch in Orono, Burlington and Amherst to let their schools get absolutely ****ed like this?

Not seeing every conference team come through your arena in a given season is 100% NOT ACCEPTABLE. Why even have a conference at that point?

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
          WCHA and CCHA both currently play 28-game schedules where every team plays every other team at least 2 times and some other teams 4 times. There is no weekend opponent mixing and home-and-homes are only done if the teams wiill play four times that season. So, in the WCHA, there are 8 teams that will only be coming to your arena every other season.
          ND has sometimes done home-and-homes against teams they only play twice in a season. When they've pulled it off, it requires three teams (all of whom only play one another twice) to work. All three series (ND at A, B at ND, and A at B) get converted into home-and-homes, keeping all three teams' schedules in balance home vs. away.

Originally posted by AMC View Post
          Not seeing every conference team come through your arena in a given season is 100% NOT ACCEPTABLE. Why even have a conference at that point?
          The CCHA and WCHA both seem to be fine with it. I'm not saying that you should be OK with it, but it's a little hyperbolic to say that it's not even worth having a conference when a team doesn't make it to your place in a season. Very few conferences in very few sports have the luxury of enough games, few enough teams, and a small enough footprint to have every team at every school every year. (At ND, the only sport that I can think of that might pull it off is lacrosse, but the Big East is admittedly a bit of a monstrosity.)
          Last edited by Craig P.; 04-25-2012, 09:16 AM.
          Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
          Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post

Nothing? If UCONN upgrades their program which they appear to be willing to do than they bring a lot.

They are a perfect geographic fit for HE and will finally enable the conference to say that they have every state in New England represented in the mens conference.
            They be a true rival for UMASS.
            If they are able to bring in at least some of the attention that the basketball programs get to hockey than it will be more than worth it.

As far as scheduling goes every other conference with 12 teams seems to handle it just fine so I don't see it being that much of an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
              Nothing? If UCONN upgrades their program which they appear to be willing to do than they bring a lot.

They are a perfect geographic fit for HE and will finally enable the conference to say that they have every state in New England represented in the mens conference.
              If they are able to bring in at least some of the attention that the basketball programs get to hockey than it will be more than worth it.

As far as scheduling goes every other conference with 12 teams seems to handle it just fine so I don't see it being that much of an issue.
              Right now, the UConn hockey program brings nothing to the table. It's a middling program in the worst conference that plays in a HS rink.

If they upgrade their program and facilities, sure in 5/10 years when it's up to speed it could make sense.

will finally enable the conference to say that they have every state in New England represented in the mens conference.
              I don't think that's something that the league has been dying to say, if it happens fine, if not fine. I'd prefer adding a superior candidate than saying "we have every state in NE represented!"

My opinion is it would make sense as a 12th team but I wouldn't add them just for the sake of having 12 and right now it would make no sense. They have a garbage rink and we all agree that games at HCC wouldn't work. Once they have the money to build a HE rink then we can talk. And honestly I question how successful the program can be, it'll be the 3rd most popular winter sport alone at the school.

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post

+1

Comment

Which of these things am I supposed to be impressed by?

You're really, really reaching here. Geographic fit (certainly true FWIW) doesn't mean they bring anything to the table. The conference being able to say they have every state in New England represented? WOW!!!!!! Don't forget they will also have Indiana represented too. WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!

Seriously...
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                    The CCHA and WCHA both seem to be fine with it. I'm not saying that you should be OK with it, but it's a little hyperbolic to say that it's not even worth having a conference when a team doesn't make it to your place in a season.
                    Plenty of people were unhappy that they no longer saw every team at home each season as the CCHA and WCHA expanded beyond 8 teams (and the NCAA cut the number of games per season) because everyone knew that the alternative was the massive realignment that is happening out west (and why HE is even having to deal with the logistics of adding ND) after next season. In hindsight, it is clear that the WCHA wasn't going to stay at 10 teams, if BSU and UNO had not been added, they may have stood pat at 8 teams and not immediately formed the NCHC.

I still think that a 24 conference schedule (2 games against everyone, 2 additional games against your rival) would be the best solution logistically.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                      Plenty of people were unhappy that they no longer saw every team at home each season as the CCHA and WCHA expanded beyond 8 teams (and the NCAA cut the number of games per season) because everyone knew that the alternative was the massive realignment that is happening out west (and why HE is even having to deal with the logistics of adding ND) after next season. In hindsight, it is clear that the WCHA wasn't going to stay at 10 teams, if BSU and UNO had not been added, they may have stood pat at 8 teams and not immediately formed the NCHC.

I still think that a 24 conference schedule (2 games against everyone, 2 additional games against your rival) would be the best solution logistically.
                      If you're going to have a league where not everyone makes the playoffs, you NEED to have a balanced schedule so it's fair. Where you play is debatable (obviously at each location an even number of times is preferred), but an IMBA schedule just creates nightmares.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        If you're going to have a league where not everyone makes the playoffs, you NEED to have a balanced schedule so it's fair. Where you play is debatable (obviously at each location an even number of times is preferred), but an IMBA schedule just creates nightmares.
                        None of the professional leagues play balanced schedules. All of the NCAA tournaments select from teams that played DRAMATICALLY different schedules.

The advantage of the 24 game schedule is that each team has 12 home and 12 away games and only 6 teams have to make the trip out of ND each year in the RS (and they all play 2 games for their effort) as opposed to in the AHA where 8 teams travel to AFA (and 2 or 3 of those only play a single game). While I understand that the difference between 9th and 8th play may come down to which team had a harder "rival" that season, the 9th place team had plenty of other opportunities to get the points they needed to finish 8th.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                          None of the professional leagues play balanced schedules. All of the NCAA tournaments select from teams that played DRAMATICALLY different schedules.

The advantage of the 24 game schedule is that each team has 12 home and 12 away games and only 6 teams have to make the trip out of ND each year in the RS (and they all play 2 games for their effort) as opposed to in the AHA where 8 teams travel to AFA (and 2 or 3 of those only play a single game). While I understand that the difference between 9th and 8th play may come down to which team had a harder "rival" that season, the 9th place team had plenty of other opportunities to get the points they needed to finish 8th.
                          With those professional leagues, you also have an autobid for the team that wins the division. Unless you plan to have the 6 "rivalry winners" and then two wild cards make it...

Comment

• Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                            Seems like this knuckledragger has forgotten about the Connecticut led lawsuit.
                            You would think Smilin' Gene will try his best to block UConn like he apparently did with the ACC. I hope he does, then falls asleep again on the hockey program.
                            National Champions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                            Hockey East Tournament Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                            Hockey East Regular Season Champions: 2014, 2012, 2011, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986, 1985

Originally posted by SteveF
                            two things you need to know about the current state of BU hockey

a) fanboys chanted 'thank you seniors' at the beanpot
                            b) fanboys chanted 'wheres your beanpot' while getting blown out in the semis of the HE tournament

Comment

Would that include being banned from the tournament for not graduating players?
                              Originally posted by mookie1995
                              bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                              Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                              Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                I have the same view on this that I do on teams that get left out of the NCAA tournament while teams from weaker leagues get autobids...You finish 9th in your league, cry me a river...it isn't like you can claim to have been a good team. If you want to qualify for the playoffs, win more games. harsh I know in an era where kids grew up getting trophies for just showing up...

Comment

Working...
                                X