UConn to apply to Hockey East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

Bemidji's Sanford Center has 4,700 seats and was completed in 2010 for $35 million. Figure that construction in the Northeast is a lot more expensive and you're probably talking $45 million.

Connecticut probably has more millionaires than any other state its size and has the highest per capita income in the US. Shouldn't be too hard to find a donor to kick in $20 million and finance the rest.
    Last edited by dggoddard; 03-28-2012, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
      I don't trust Uconn to follow through on any construction promises they make. Look at the problems Maine, UHN, Lowell, Zoomass and Vermont have in getting funds. I'll be happy with 11 until they obtain financing and break ground on a campus rink.
      Yeah, I mean it isn't like UCONN has ever followed through on building any athletic facilities...I mean come on...you can say that about lots of places but UCONN has athletic facilities that are superior to pretty much everyone in new England. And they are about to start building a basketball practice building that will have more bells and whistles than you can shake a stick at. and have recently announced plans for what will in effect be a minor league baseball stadium and an upgraded soccer stadium and softball facility. I know the BC boys will probably be worried about this proposal, but in the long run it will be good for Hockey East I think.

I don't love the XL Center plan, but I'd buy it as an interim solution until a new campus facility could be put together. The problem with the XL in additon to being too far from campus is that its too friggin' big. Nobody would sell out a 15000 seat arena. But wit the correct marketing, I think they could probably get 4-5000. If it were me, I'd go for a 4500 seat on campus arena with ability to expand to maybe 8000 if needed someday. UCONN really is a good fit for hockey East in many other ways. It is the right size, right location, when it does things it does them successfully, and it has relationships with other Hockey East schools in other sports. Plus we hate BC and they hate us. Which makes for fun times for all...and puts us on the same page as the rest of the league.

Comment

I have no problem with it. Quite frankly I would not like to see either UConn or Notre Dame in, but if we are going to allow Notre Dame in it makes no sense to stay with 11 teams. However I think everybody else is right, before it even comes to a vote they have to show they are committed to building something better than a poorly maintained D-III rink.
        Plattsburgh '11 Go Cards.
        National Champions 1992, 2001
        21 SUNYAC Championships

Norwich University
        National Champions 2000, 2003, 2010

University of Vermont
        Future National Champions 201?

Comment

I'm not worried about uconn hockey...just mentioning what BCs AD prob thinks.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
            Connecticut probably has more millionaires than any other state its size and has the highest per capita income in the US. Shouldn't be too hard to find a donor to kick in $20 million and finance the rest.
            There aren't. It's taken them years to raise enough money to build a basketball practice facility, which is in more of a desperate need than a hockey arena, and they still haven't fully reached the goal, even with some former players kicking in a few bucks. Funding for a new hockey arena would be scarce at best, unless some donor came out of the woodwork. Howard Baldwin is the only one I can think of who might do it.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
              There aren't. It's taken them years to raise enough money to build a basketball practice facility, which is in more of a desperate need than a hockey arena, and they still haven't fully reached the goal, even with some former players kicking in a few bucks. Funding for a new hockey arena would be scarce at best, unless some donor came out of the woodwork. Howard Baldwin is the only one I can think of who might do it.
              Having your name on an arena is far different than a practice facility. Just sayin'

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                Yes, RMU, Mercyhurst, Niagara, Canisius et al could leave, start a new conference allowing the max number of scholarships, and be much happier. Heck, UAH could join them. Now, just to think of a name for the new conference....???? I think "College Hockey America" is available.
                I sort of agree with you. I don't think that all those schools are all that hot to trot either about scholarships or about leaving. I'm not even all that certain that some of them, Canisius for example, favors going to 18 scholarships when they don't have their own facility to play in. I mean if you don't include Air Force, you have to assume RIT goes with them, which is a pretty big assumption that they would compete with 0 scholarships, but maybe, you still only have a 5 team league. Quite honestly, I think AHA is not such a bad set up for those smaller schools.

Comment

I think that it just took a back seat to building the facilities needed to play D1A football (which by th eway are among the best in the East at least) And to Calhoun's insistance that the former players in the NBA not be tapped for funding. And to the fact that the program was succesfull without it and finally to the animosity between Calhoun and hathaway. The new President and the New AD have different ideas and the fundraising is moving along quite nicely at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                    Having your name on an arena is far different than a practice facility. Just sayin'
                    UConn basketball publicity >>>>>>>>>>> UConn hockey publicity.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                      I think that it just took a back seat to building the facilities needed to play D1A football (which by th eway are among the best in the East at least) And to Calhoun's insistance that the former players in the NBA not be tapped for funding. And to the fact that the program was succesfull without it and finally to the animosity between Calhoun and hathaway. The new President and the New AD have different ideas and the fundraising is moving along quite nicely at this point.
                      It did take a backseat, but the football facilities have been done for nearly five years, and the bball practice facility is only being drawn up right now. You're right that it has more to do with Hathaway and Calhoun not getting along. The new AD and Herbst seem to be a far better leadership team, so the practice facility will get done. As for raising the money for a new hockey arena, it sure as hell won't come from the state.
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
                        Miscellaneous thoughts:

-There's a big UConn diaspora, especially in Boston, which will probably help get the ship off the ground.
                        Yes of course. That "diaspora" always shows up in huge numbers when UConn takes on Bentley and Holy Cross - NOT! Truth is, UConn hockey is an afterthought with the university and its fans. When UConn plays at Bentley it appears there are more UConn players (not playing that evening) in the stands than actual UConn fans. ...and please spare me any argument that the small venues in which Bentley and Holy Cross play keep the fans away. When Bentley played RIT this season their fans showed up in droves. Even lowly Sacred Heart brought more fans to Bentley (during the AHA playoffs) than UConn has ever produced.
                        "Love means never having to say you are sorry." Oliver Barrett, IV from the movie "Love Story". The cinematic masterpiece that forever immortalizes a CORNELL victory over CRIMSON vermin!

Comment

Sliding Alabama-Huntsville into the AH spot would make everyone happy.

But only if Hockey East continues it's cut throat ways and kicks the bottom four teams out of the conference tourney. None of that top 4 get byes shenanigans.
                          Lowell Forever
                          Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
                            Don't you dare leave AHA! RIT wants to move into the ECAC....
                            And ECAC fans want you too. Instantly would be the second biggest fan base in the league and it would give us an obvious tournament site. Wanting RIT has been brought up repeatedly over on the ELynah forums

Comment

Good news, assuming a formal announcement from the University is forthcoming.

I do hope the pitch to Hockey East includes a plan for an expanded on-campus rink in the medium-to-long term, because the HCC is not more than a short-term solution as far as I'm concerned. It'll look emptier than the crowds for the WhalePack, and scheduling priority will be a nightmare unless the men's and women's hoops team put more games back in Gampel. It's not a good fit long-term.

As far as HEA is concerned, they could ask for applications at breakfast and have a half-dozen by lunch, so they've got the pick of the litter, but I have a feeling UConn probably wouldn't have applied if there wasn't at least a 'wink wink, nudge nudge' nod in their favor.
                              UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

UCONN has athletic facilities that are superior to pretty much everyone in new England.
                                Gotta be honest, Campbell Soup Arena doesn't impress me and the Rent and XL aren't owned by UConn. So your only on-campus venue is lack-luster; while the practice facilities may be impressive, Joe Sixpack Fan isn't watching the games from them.

I know the BC boys will probably be worried about this proposal, but in the long run it will be good for Hockey East I think.
                                Jim, why would we be worried about this proposal? Most of our players come from MA and I doubt we'll lose recruiting battles to UConn. I say as long as UConn commits to building an on-campus arena that matches the level of Agganis, and will provide the full scholarship level, I say they should be a part of Hockey East.

Plus we hate BC and they hate us.
                                Hockey is a different fan base from HandEgg/BouncyBall, while BC gets up for Notre Dame in football, we'd rather kick the tar out of BU on the ice and the Notre Dame hockey games aren't as big a deal.

As for raising the money for a new hockey arena, it sure as hell won't come from the state.
                                Depends how persuasive the new AD is.

Comment

Working...
                                X