Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

Originally posted by UNHHurstFan View Post
    I'm planning on going (weather permitting). Always an enjoyable time.
    Looks like they finally found a QB!! Over the moon about that. Awesome D and WR corps too. The day was not set up for the running game, but in real games I am sure there will be major improvement there too. And Hyppolite looks like he can really move the stack if need be.

Not surprised about Todd's son, btw. If you are that good, why wouldn't you? Perceptive that you knew that Todd was number 18, though, Flash. Without looking at the media guide, tell us if Todd is still the all time leading scorer at UConn, and if not, who is? You should know this.

Comment

The USCHO piece on the coaches' meetings in FL has a section on the UConn application and confirms further meetings of the HE AD's on the subject. That is not an encouraging development, suggesting a substantial internal debate within HE.

Comment

I can certainly guess at the issues.

Adding ND is a problem in terms of scheduling, with Indiana now firmly in the mix... Throwing in UConn just compounds the problem.

Hindsight is 20/20, but it sure would have made more sense to include UConn ahead of ND, if that was ever an option.

(And HEA needs neither of them, actually.)

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
          The USCHO piece on the coaches' meetings in FL has a section on the UConn application and confirms further meetings of the HE AD's on the subject. That is not an encouraging development, suggesting a substantial internal debate within HE.
          Where can I find this piece? I've looked but so far, have been unable to find it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            I can certainly guess at the issues.

Adding ND is a problem in terms of scheduling, with Indiana now firmly in the mix... Throwing in UConn just compounds the problem.

Hindsight is 20/20, but it sure would have made more sense to include UConn ahead of ND, if that was ever an option.

(And HEA needs neither of them, actually.)
            IU should have nothing to do with this.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by huskymike View Post
              Where can I find this piece? I've looked but so far, have been unable to find it.
              The D-1 home page right sidebar: "Offseason takes shape ...." Second bullet down at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                The D-1 home page right sidebar: "Offseason takes shape ...." Second bullet down at the moment.
                Thanks!

Comment

Not sure that piece said much we didn't already know...though the shot at the Governor was a little uncalled for...he's not the one who originally broke the news from what I've heard. The fact that the piece indicates that UCONN and the state are prepared ot make the needed investment is a positive, not a negative. I think most people were concerned about that the cost would be a problem from the UCONN end. The Notre Dame problem is the Notre Dame problem. It is in Indiana...that is much different from the UCONN situation. Its under 2 hours from Storrs to Boston, under 3 to Merrimack, UNH, an hour to Amherst, 2 to Lowell, Maine is a pretty long trip, but it is from everywhere. So UCONN really is in the footprint. ND, not so much. That is really the scheduling issue. UCONN, not so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim View Post
                    Not sure that piece said much we didn't already know...though the shot at the Governor was a little uncalled for...he's not the one who originally broke the news from what I've heard. The fact that the piece indicates that UCONN and the state are prepared ot make the needed investment is a positive, not a negative. I think most people were concerned about that the cost would be a problem from the UCONN end. The Notre Dame problem is the Notre Dame problem. It is in Indiana...that is much different from the UCONN situation. Its under 2 hours from Storrs to Boston, under 3 to Merrimack, UNH, an hour to Amherst, 2 to Lowell, Maine is a pretty long trip, but it is from everywhere. So UCONN really is in the footprint. ND, not so much. That is really the scheduling issue. UCONN, not so much.
                    Again, pointing out why notre dame was a mistaken overreach. ND was a team w/o a conference... They didn't have leverage and we gave them everything.
                    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                    Skating Friar Jersey
                    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

The only really new information is that there have been HE meetings subsequent to the visit. We do not know if the UConn application has even been officially submitted although one might conclude it had if a visitation has already taken place.

Agree, the shot at the Guv was uncalled for. This application had been long been disclosed by the time it got to him. All he did was say he was in favor. For that he is accused of a loose lip?

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                        Again, pointing out why notre dame was a mistaken overreach. ND was a team w/o a conference... They didn't have leverage and we gave them everything.
                        Bingo.

I spoke to a DU administrator and they obviously wanted Notre Dame badly. But there was no way the NCHC could agree to to the demands.

Wait until the average HE fan figures out that they are only going to see each HE team once every two years.
                        Last edited by dggoddard; 04-24-2012, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Ya I agree saying adding UCONN would cause scheduling problems is idiotic. Compared to UMASS they are quicker (or at least the same amount of time) to get to for every school in HE with the exception of UVM. I think all the talk right now is simply a matter of working out logistics and schedules. The only school that might have a legitimate reason to object to them joining HE is BC but I doubt they would try to completely block them from joining.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                            Bingo.

I spoke to a DU administrator and they obviously wanted Notre Dame badly. But there was no way the NCHC could agree to to the demands.

Wait until the average HE fan figures out that they are only going to see each HE team once every two years.
                            Difference with HE than the NCHC is that most teams can just play home and homes every year if they go to 11 teams/22 games. Though VM, Maine, and ND would have to do alternating year two game series' which would suck. Though it would open up the non-conference schedule for HE teams which already is very restrictive. It's either be able to play more OOC games, or play everyone three times. Can't have your cake and eat it too.
                            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                              Agree, and instead we will be seeing more non conference games. BC may not have a problem filling those extra games with quality opponents but I'm not sure that can be said for some of the other teams in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                                Ya I agree saying adding UCONN would cause scheduling problems is idiotic. Compared to UMASS they are quicker (or at least the same amount of time) to get to for every school in HE with the exception of UVM. I think all the talk right now is simply a matter of working out logistics and schedules. The only school that might have a legitimate reason to object to them joining HE is BC but I doubt they would try to completely block them from joining.
                                I have to agree. UCONN is no more coplicated than UMass -Amherst or Vermont. Its actually closer than Vermont to most of the schools. UCONN_UMass would work as a weekend series or as easy travel partners if HEA went that way. Its an hour from Hartford to Amherst, maybe a bit more to Storrs.Vermont is about 4 hours from both Boston and Hartford, maine is 5.5 from Hartford probably more like 4 from Boston. Bottom line is UCONN is not a scheduling problem. ND is a scheduling problem. TYhe other option, if 22 is too few games is you do 2 divisions. 3 games in your division, for 15 plus 2 games agaisnt the other division for a 27 game total But the problem is still the Irish since unless you can find another opponent 5 teams go out heref for single games, which doesn't work very well.

Comment

Working...
                                X