Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

Originally posted by bigeasy29 View Post
    you are out of your mind!!!! lowell belongs in hockey east!!
    I made my comments before Flashy Man took UML and Mack out of HEA and put them in the N-10.

I don't care where one fan's random guess on an extraordinarily unlikely realignment places UML.
    Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by bigeasy29 View Post
      you are out of your mind!!!! lowell belongs in hockey east!!
      When they tried to kick PROVICED} out of Hockey Rast, they decided to use veto power and kick out FML instead.

Comment

I'm glad some of you think I'm serious, however I'm not at all.
        Originally posted by SCSU Euro
        What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
          or the United States Air Force Academy?
          I grew up in the Air Force and am a big fan to this day. (Especially in terms of football.)

And I'll agree that any service academy brings to the table a much broader audience than does an RPI, or a Cornell, or a Harvard... But if HE had the choice of cherry-picking any D-1 school from our entire nation, UConn would still be the best choice on the basis of it's commitment to athletics and it's proximity, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            I grew up in the Air Force and am a big fan to this day. (Especially in terms of football.)

And I'll agree that any service academy brings to the table a much broader audience than does an RPI, or a Cornell, or a Harvard... But if HE had the choice of cherry-picking any D-1 school from our entire nation, UConn would still be the best choice on the basis of it's commitment to athletics and it's proximity, IMO.
            I don't disagree with any of that. I was merely replying to your statement that "UConn is the only AHA program that can develop any national interest" in and of itself, not relative to the future of HEA.
            Can't we all just get along?
            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

First, the disclaimers- I have my undergraduate degree from RPI and a graduate degree from UConn. I haven't missed an RPI hockey game in 11 seasons (home and away) so there shouldn't be any doubt where my loyalty lies. I 've also lived in CT my whole life with the exception of my 4 years in Troy. I was also devastated when our Whalers left for Raleigh. With that perspective, I frankly cannot ever envision UConn hockey having much of a following. CT is very oriented toward major league professional sports; minor league hockey has never really caught on. Obviously, UConn basketball (men and women) are huge and the exception. UConn soccer is consistently near the top in the country in attendance, 4,000 per game, but still a minor sport. The AHL teams in CT have poor attendance. As far as college hockey goes, Yale has a loyal following because the New Haven area has a long history of support for hockey. Quinnipiac has decent support and arguably would be a better candidate for HE than UConn. Without much of a hockey heritage UConn would not compete for either fans or recruits in HE going up against BC and BU.
              Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
              RIT Winters, how much time have you spent in Hartford? How do you know they won't draw there?

Comment

Comparing a potentially successful UConn program to an AHL team is apples/oranges, IMO.

Minor-league professional sports at any level are known to all to be no more than a stepping-stone for the guys suiting-up. The prospect of continuity is just not there, and very little loyalty to the team exists, either from the players or the fans... College sports don't work the same way.

I have no doubt that UConn will commit enough resources to their hockey program to field a good team very soon, if they land in a high profile conference such as HE. (And they'll probably displace my beloved Maine in the process.)
                Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-19-2012, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                  Comparing a potentially successful UConn program to an AHL team is apples/oranges, IMO.

Minor-league professional sports at any level are known to all to be no more than a stepping-stone for the guys suiting-up. The prospect of continuity is just not there, and very little loyalty to the team exists, either from the players or the fans... College sports don't work the same way.

I have no doubt that UConn will commit enough resources to their hockey program to field a good team very soon, if they land in a high profile conference such as HE. (And they'll probably displace my beloved Maine in the process.)
                  I have some doubts... but that being said, college hockey is a different animal... there could be an issue if UConn tries to run its pro-sports model like it has with football and basketball. Historically, UConn's athletic office has believed that they are the reason they are successful... discounting their own fans and culture creation. Hockey is much more of an emotional animal. That's why I believe it has to be done on campus or nothing else.
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                    I have some doubts... but that being said, college hockey is a different animal... there could be an issue if UConn tries to run its pro-sports model like it has with football and basketball. Historically, UConn's athletic office has believed that they are the reason they are successful... discounting their own fans and culture creation. Hockey is much more of an emotional animal. That's why I believe it has to be done on campus or nothing else.
                    But Patman, UCONN has also been successful with soccer and more recently baseball, I actually htink that their model is pretty good and can work with hockey to a degree. I do think on-campus would be highly preferable but I think the two home model will probably work ok, too. maybe not quite a well, but UCONN hasn't ever focused its programs on campus. they've always been willing to play games in Hartford in any sport. if there were a quality soccer pitch there, they'd play soccer games there too. the baseball team is playing games in both Nortwich and New Britain. Both mens and womens basketball play in Hartford.

bgtrpi, UCONN doesn't need to compete for talent with BC and BU immediately. that should be the goal for year 5 or 10, just like it is for every other Hockey East member. I'm sure PC doesn't go into the season saying to themselves, "well, we can't compete with BC or BU so we'll play for 3rd place." Starting out they need to compete for talent with PC, UMass-Amherst, UMass-Lowell. I think over time they can and will do that. Longer term we'll see. The other thing is UCONN is much more of a "brand" than Quinnipiac for sure, and even Yale as far as athletics go. While it isn't a hockey brand right now, in Hockey East it can become one. Tehy aren't going to draw 16,000 at the XL Center like the basketball team sometimes does. But 3000-5000 eventually? Not that difficult.

Comment

I agree that UConn soccer is one of the most successful programs in the nation... top 3 in attendance IIRC... what I'm saying is that you can't plop down into downtown HFD and expect success.

edit: and I'd still say that UConn is terrible at fan relations... I don't know what he's up to nowadays, but they should have hired Dale Nosel (the painted guy from a few years back) just on enthusiasm alone.
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Notre Dame was nowhere in terms of hockey when they got the program going, but it's been a consistent player lately. (Yes, it took a while.)

Kids seem to prefer big-name schools, and UConn is a big name, if only on the tails of the hoops program. I don't see college baseball or soccer as much of a factor, but the decent football there might help out a bit.

The 5-10 year window to national relevance is probably realistic, and I won't be surprised to see Penn State do the same... The rich tend to get richer.
                        Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-20-2012, 12:59 AM.

Comment

fishman,

I agree with you. I wasn't using baseball and soccer as factors, but only as examples of how UCONN has successfully built athletic programs in additon to basketball and to a lesser degree, football. To me, the fact that when they focus on somethign they have been able to be successful, whether it is a high profile sport, like basketball or one that is not as high profile, UCONN has developed legitimatly good programs. Soccer admitedly has been a national player for some time, but baseball was an afterthought for many years. Football, while not Alabama is reasonably competitive now, too. So why anyone would think that developing a successful mens hockey program is beyond the realm of possibility is somewhat hard for me to understand.

Comment

Thinking we should hear something in the next couple or three weeks. If it goes past May 15, I would think that would not be favorable.

Gonna wear my #18 Krygier away sweater to tomorrow's Blue-White game at the Rent if anyone is gonna be there. Can't wait to get a look at the new QB's and to see what kind of progress the other guys have made.

Comment

Gonna wear my #18 Krygier away sweater to tomorrow's Blue-White game at the Rent if anyone is gonna be there. Can't wait to get a look at the new QB's and to see what kind of progress the other guys have made.
                              If you're talking about Todd, his son just committed to Michigan State.
                              Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                              What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Thinking we should hear something in the next couple or three weeks. If it goes past May 15, I would think that would not be favorable.

I'm planning on going (weather permitting). Always an enjoyable time.

Comment

Working...
                                X