UConn to apply to Hockey East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
    I believe the UML game in Nashua was a sellout. The Conway Arena only has seating of 1,050. Lowell's average attendance this season was 4,904 in 18 home games at the Tsongas.
    Facts have an inconvenient way of being inconvenient.

UML/UConn at Tsongas would be 3500 minimum
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

I'm actually pretty surprised at the intelligent discourse in this thread. Who knew such a thing was possible.

Full disclosure: UConn is second only to BU on my list of sports hate.

I want UConn in Hockey East for selfish reasons. It would take me like 20 minutes to get to the annual BC game down here.

I don't think they would win Hockey East in the next 10 years but they have far more room for upside than Merrimack did when they joined, and look what the right combination of circumstances did for them.

UConn wouldn't be an annual doormat with scholarships. Connecticut may not exactly be Minnesota when it comes to high school talent, but there is some here. Having said that, even though everyone loves UConn hoops here (barf), a surprisingly large percentage of kids in this state hate the idea of actually attending that dump of a school.

Can't believe those attendance numbers though for the playoffs... I'm certain their women's team draws more than that once in a while.
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Right now, UCONN attendance isn't very good. Occassionally they put 1500 in the building, but they do no marketing for the program, and the two playoffs landed during a break so the student population was way down. And the program simply hasn't done much to attract attention by winning. Sorry but making the playoffs as an 8 seed against Canisus isn't quite the same as making it as a 4 against Boston University. And remember, too even among those who follow UCONN hockey, they had completely fallen apart down the stretch, struggling against Army, Sacred Heart, AIC...Plus we have seen this before. UCONN averaged around 7,500-8,000 when it played 1AA football, with a mediocre record over the previous 20 years. With the upgrade, attendance skyrocketed and now they average 35,000-40,000. While the numbers won't be comparable, an move to Hockey East would, I think, easily draw 2-3000 on average. No offense to our AHA partners, but BU, BC, Notre Dame are all bigger names and going to draw much more than AIC, Bentley and Mercyhurst. And I do think the upside for a UCONN program is at least as high as Merrimack, UMass-Lowell, UMass-Amherst. One thing about UCONN athletic teams is they are, for good or ill, the focus of local media. They aren't sharing the spotlight with the Red Sox, Pats, Bruins, Celtics. They seem to be the one thing that a fairly divided sports market in the state continues to rally around. In some ways, basketball isn't the model, UCONN baseball is. Last season's run got front page coverage on the hartford courant and was the lead story on the local sports reports. 2 years ago they made the NCAA tournament for the first time in 15 years and played in the same first round bracket with Central Connecticut. Central was making its 4th consecutive appearance and plays pretty good college baseball. But theye never get covered. But UCONN was getting front page coverage in the sports section...Central, which had beaten the Huskies, was an afterthought. That is sort of how I see UCONN Hockey in Hockey East. It will go from aggate score reporting (sometiems not even correct) to a regular event that gets regular coverage. And that combined with a marketing effort wil greatly increase attendance.

Comment

Yup, I agree...

UConn is the only AHA program that can actually develop any national interest. (And the same applies to any ECAC team you'd care to name, IMO.)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            Yup, I agree...

UConn is the only AHA program that can actually develop any national interest. (And the same applies to any ECAC team you'd care to name, IMO.)
            I think you really struggle to find an eastern program that would have as much upside. Harvard would,Cornell would maybe Yale or Dartmouth but they aren't leaving their Ivy bretheren, so it doesn't make sense to speak of them. RPI, or Clarkson or St lawrence or any of the other ECAC programs would have some interest among the cognisenti but I'm not sure they would have the same potetnial upside. In a sense they would be nice safe choices that are what they are. UCONN not so much but you have to think that if they took the necessary steps they would at least be pretty good, maybe better than that. And if you look at what they've done in many other sports, you have to think that they will at some point get their act together and be a solid program.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              UConn is the only AHA program that can actually develop any national interest.)
              Oh really.

Perhaps you've heard of the United States Military Academy?

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                Oh really.

Perhaps you've heard of the United States Military Academy?

Powers &8^]
                or the United States Air Force Academy?
                Can't we all just get along?
                Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

heard of both, and both left a higher performing conference to loin the less competitive AHA...because they couldn't compete at the higher level. For lots of good reasons I might say. but still they would both struggle mightily to be competitive in Hockey East long term and that's the point I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    ... I have a hard time believing that athletes at all schools don't get preferential treatment ...
                    You've obviously not been following the UNH recruiting thread
                    Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                      You've obviously not been following the UNH recruiting thread
                      True. Should I?
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Just wait we could end up with this alignment.

Super AHA
                        Last edited by Flashy Man; 04-17-2012, 04:32 PM.
                        Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                        What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                          Just wait we could end up with this alignment. :-p

Super AHA
                          A) What happened to Sacred Heart?
                          B) Where did all of those N-10 teams come from?
                          C) Rensselaer
                          Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                            The four member D2 hockey conference, heck if AIC can afford it, why can't the other four? Automatic qualifier to boot.
                            Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                            What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                              The four member D2 hockey conference, heck if AIC can afford it, why can't the other four? Automatic qualifier to boot.
                              You're missing St. Anselm and St. Michael's.
                              UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                                A) What happened to Sacred Heart?
                                C) Rensselaer
                                you are out of your mind!!!! lowell belongs in hockey east!!

Comment

Working...
                                X