Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

Originally posted by MattS View Post
    All true but I have to think name recognition plays a big part of it. It's a risk/reward thing for HE. I think it comes down to 2 things with Uconn. First, does HE believe that they will really commit to hockey because if they do the potential is certainly there (ref. your post on national titles). Second, is the risk of them not committing worth it because of Uconn's highly suspect commitment thus far. I think Uconn is a much more "unknown" compared to RPI. I think everyone knows with some certainty what kind of team HE will get if RPI joined and their level of commitment to hockey. While it's much more risky if Uconn joined but the potential certainly is there. For me it would come down to: Do you bet on a program that has won national championships and has a storied history in hockey or on a program that lacks history and that hasn't had a winning season since 99-00 but does has name recognition and an definite upside if they commit to it?
    I think this is the key point with respect to UConn, not whether they have the ability to become a competitive HE program, but if they'll put in the necessary effort and money. Previously, the department let the program wallow in dogshiiiit for years with an abysmal coach and no scholarship support. I would be encouraged that they would put in the necessary investment and effort with there being a new president, and new AD, specifically an AD who is from a big time hockey school in Michigan. Of course, he was a football player, but also was an associate AD there and no doubt understands the commitment necessary to support a big time hockey program. A competitive UConn program would be a great addition to HE, with lots of alumni in the Boston area, existing rivalries with current HE teams from other sports, and a national brand name that NESN and NBC Sports no doubt would prefer over RPI or Holy Cross. I can tell you, some of the yahoo football fans would go apeshiit over the chance to go to a BC-UConn hockey game, though many don't realize UConn will be losing that game 8-0 for the foreseeable future.

And for the love of Kevin Dineen, DON'T PUT THE GAMES IN HARTFORD.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
      I think this is the key point with respect to UConn, not whether they have the ability to become a competitive HE program, but if they'll put in the necessary effort and money. Previously, the department let the program wallow in dogshiiiit for years with an abysmal coach and no scholarship support. I would be encouraged that they would put in the necessary investment and effort with there being a new president, and new AD, specifically an AD who is from a big time hockey school in Michigan. Of course, he was a football player, but also was an associate AD there and no doubt understands the commitment necessary to support a big time hockey program. A competitive UConn program would be a great addition to HE, with lots of alumni in the Boston area, existing rivalries with current HE teams from other sports, and a national brand name that NESN and NBC Sports no doubt would prefer over RPI or Holy Cross. I can tell you, some of the yahoo football fans would go apeshiit over the chance to go to a BC-UConn hockey game, though many don't realize UConn will be losing that game 8-0 for the foreseeable future.

And for the love of Kevin Dineen, DON'T PUT THE GAMES IN HARTFORD.
      I don't think I've ever had an opinion so strong as to almost call it fact but it's only going to be successful if the games are on campus. I'm OK with Hartford until Freitas is renovated but it shouldn't be viewed as a permanent arena.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        For some reason, I thought Crittenden was the border... but that's probably two different towns.
        FWIW
        Crittenden is entirely in the town of Brighton, just north of Henrietta.
        Brigthon-Henrietta Town Line Road going East and Jefferson Road going West are the border between Henrietta and Brighton just North of the RIT campus.
        Can't we all just get along?
        Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by fr joe View Post
          Guess you could say there's not a WHIT of truth to that story...
          I must say that I honestly have not heard that one before. Nice.
          Can't we all just get along?
          Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by huskymike View Post
            I don't think I've ever had an opinion so strong as to almost call it fact but it's only going to be successful if the games are on campus. I'm OK with Hartford until Freitas is renovated but it shouldn't be viewed as a permanent arena.
            You're 100% right. Though I'm concerned even if XL is considered "temporary" with how the state loves to make UConn play games in Hartford because "it's too hard to get to Storrs" I'd be concerned that even if they built a brand new facility, that they'd split half the games between XL and a new place. It'd be a crime if they put games at XL. I'd rather have Sacred Heart in HE if that were the case.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
              All true but I have to think name recognition plays a big part of it. It's a risk/reward thing for HE. I think it comes down to 2 things with Uconn. First, does HE believe that they will really commit to hockey because if they do the potential is certainly there (ref. your post on national titles). Second, is the risk of them not committing worth it because of Uconn's highly suspect commitment thus far. I think Uconn is a much more "unknown" compared to RPI. I think everyone knows with some certainty what kind of team HE will get if RPI joined and their level of commitment to hockey. While it's much more risky if Uconn joined but the potential certainly is there. For me it would come down to: Do you bet on a program that has won national championships and has a storied history in hockey or on a program that lacks history and that hasn't had a winning season since 99-00 but does has name recognition and an definite upside if they commit to it?
              I get what you are saying, Matt, but I am of the opinion that it is more than just the name. Clearly there is a track record, while obviously not in hockey, gives everyone at least some level of comfort that UCONN can pull this off, and probably with a better chance of success than any other "mid-major" to borrow a term...I also think that given the record, UCONN probably has a very good long term upside. While I don't think anyone expects them to be winning the Hockey East title in 2014, I wouldn't bet against them for 2024.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim View Post
                I I wouldn't bet against them for 2024.
                I would.
                National Champions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                Hockey East Tournament Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                Hockey East Regular Season Champions: 2014, 2012, 2011, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986, 1985

Originally posted by SteveF
                two things you need to know about the current state of BU hockey

a) fanboys chanted 'thank you seniors' at the beanpot
                b) fanboys chanted 'wheres your beanpot' while getting blown out in the semis of the HE tournament

Comment

You're 100% right. Though I'm concerned even if XL is considered "temporary" with how the state loves to make UConn play games in Hartford because "it's too hard to get to Storrs" I'd be concerned that even if they built a brand new facility, that they'd split half the games between XL and a new place. It'd be a crime if they put games at XL. I'd rather have Sacred Heart in HE if that were the case.
                  I agree with you on the general principle. If UConn is to succeed at hockey, it needs to build a student and community fanbase, and that means playing in Storrs. The basketball teams do it because they know they can sell more tickets to the XL games, a fact both lamentable and wholly understandable; the basketball fan base is more than just the students and NE Counties community, and making it more accessible to fans from Hartford, New Haven and Fairfield counties (i.e. the overwhelming bulk of CT's population) is fairly necessary.

If it turns out that the marquee games from Hockey East bring no breathing room crowds to Future Freitas (admittedly a long shot; I don't see UConn's upper ceiling, even with a hopeful estimate, being much beyond 5K), though, I expect some to be peeled off to the XL. That I don't lament too much, but I would hope they wouldn't do it unless you'd see the XL Center at least half-full (without curtaining).
                  UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

I wouldn't bet for them or against them in 2024 considering they're not even in Hockey East yet and we don't know what their facility would be or who the coach would be. Oh ya, plus there's the whole competing with BC, Notre Dame, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                      FWIW
                      Crittenden is entirely in the town of Brighton, just north of Henrietta.
                      Brigthon-Henrietta Town Line Road going East and Jefferson Road going West are the border between Henrietta and Brighton just North of the RIT campus.
                      That's what it was. Sadly, after Arena 51 closed down, not too much more reason to head out that way... usually hit up either St. John Fisher for the Bills camp or the Vertex club downtown. Yes, I'm one of THOSE people.

Comment

People still care about Sacred Heart now that Bear Trapp graduated?

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
                          I agree with you on the general principle. If UConn is to succeed at hockey, it needs to build a student and community fanbase, and that means playing in Storrs. The basketball teams do it because they know they can sell more tickets to the XL games, a fact both lamentable and wholly understandable; the basketball fan base is more than just the students and NE Counties community, and making it more accessible to fans from Hartford, New Haven and Fairfield counties (i.e. the overwhelming bulk of CT's population) is fairly necessary.

If it turns out that the marquee games from Hockey East bring no breathing room crowds to Future Freitas (admittedly a long shot; I don't see UConn's upper ceiling, even with a hopeful estimate, being much beyond 5K), though, I expect some to be peeled off to the XL. That I don't lament too much, but I would hope they wouldn't do it unless you'd see the XL Center at least half-full (without curtaining).
                          If it got to the point where games in a new 4-5K facility were consistently selling out well in advance and no one could get a ticket, sure the XL would become an option then. In that very highly unlikely scenario, we'd have a case where the students likely would be willing to bus into Hartford to see a game against a big shot opponent. And then you'd at least have somewhat of a collegiate atmosphere, and it wouldn't be 2,000 people in a 16k facility. Thing is, that's not going to happen anytime soon, and the governor just wants to pander to voters by bringing more things into Hartford, even if they would be failures of events, and ruin the program's chance to build a fan base on campus.
                          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I'm not sure that throwing money at the hockey team is really going to solve the attendance worries anyway. UCONN is a big school but one that is wholly caught up in its basketball teams (and to a lesser extent football).

They had a pretty good team this year, pushing eventual AHA representative Air Force to a game three that was lost by only a goal. And how many people did they get for their two playoff games at home? 479 and 351.

Is it realistic to think that in a couple years of getting it handed to them in Hockey East while they rebuild the team with scholarships is going to make attendance increase? Let alone increase 11x in order to fill a 5000 seat building?

They have absolutely no choice but to play on campus, as that is the only way they will be able to grow attendance. If you are going to make your fans get on a bus and drive downtown to watch, you can kiss your lofty attendance expectations goodbye. They don't have that many fans now with a good team...

(Disclaimer: I'm very biased towards RPI joining HE)
                            RIT

Comment

If UConn fails in HEA, they can always move to Carolina.

(Granted that the attendance the Whalers ahd would be more than satisfactory.)
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                                While I don't think anyone expects them to be winning the Hockey East title in 2014, I wouldn't bet against them for 2024.
                                I'm very confident Uconn won't win a postseason tournament as a member of Hockey East before I die and I'm fairly young.
                                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Working...
                                X