Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    The odd thing is that I think that a lot of UConn's fanbase on USCHO (RSTuthill, kingdobbs, and that represents a large portion of the posts I have seen) appear to be Clarkson grads. Interesting, isn't it?
    I've only been to Connecticut twice, so count me out.
    Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
    Clarkson 1990

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      The odd thing is that I think that a lot of UConn's fanbase on USCHO (RSTuthill, kingdobbs, and that represents a large portion of the posts I have seen) appear to be Clarkson grads. Interesting, isn't it?
      Son of a Clarkson grad, as it were. UConn's my actual alma mater.
      UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
        Can't blame them for that! (Better than being called Troy Institute of Technology .... I know, I know ... "never heard that one before".)
        Better than being called South Henrietta Institute of Technology.

Comment

• Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
          Son of a Clarkson grad, as it were. UConn's my actual alma mater.
          You're not counting CCSU?
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by fr joe View Post
            Good point. I agree with your conclusion.
            Well, it would come down to RPI and HC. RPI has the right sized building (which HC does not) and a much longer and storied tradition. In addition it spreads the HE footprint westward a bit. Gotta think RPI would have the inside track if it does not work out with UConn.

Btw, I support both Clarkson and UConn Ski teams in the USCSA McConnell Division. Gotta support both your alma mater and the local school.
            Last edited by RSTuthill; 04-12-2012, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              People are making this out to be UConn's call. It's not. It's up to Hockey East. Has there been anything at all from Bertagna?
              It's really both,no? According to reports in the newspaper, Hockey East "officials" visited UCONN a few weeks ago. I would assume that included Bertagna, though it didn't specifically identify anyone. And in the past, he has been quoted as mentioning UCONN as someone that Hockey East would be interested in adding. Further, and I concede that this is heresay, the rumor is that Hockey East initiated the conversations with UCONN, not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                Folks, at the end of the day (and I hate to say it), ESPN type considerations are going to decide. (You may recall that ESPN has been the driving force behind the recent football realignment and restructuring?) Name recognition, TV exposure.

Brassbonanza, gotta disagree with you. Lack of scholarships has had everything to do with lack of recruiting success of local talent. Let's see: go to Boston on a ride or play in a lower league without one? Pretty easy choice.
                Bingo! No scholarships has made recruiting very tough for local and for that matter any talent. Now that doesn't mean that just adding scholarships will mean that UCONN gets every local kid. But they'll get a few more. Seems like every UCONN team has to deal with that falacy...Every good connecticut player doesn't want to go to UCONN. But some will.

Comment

RPI has the right sized building (which HC does not) and a much longer and storied tradition.
                  Holy Cross could use the DCU Center downtown, just 10 minutes from campus, though scheduling would have to be worked out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                    Holy Cross could use the DCU Center downtown, just 10 minutes from campus, though scheduling would have to be worked out.
                    Not to mention you'd need to get some City of Worcester support. If they aren't supporting the team now, who's to say they'll support the team in HE?

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                      Not the right size (too big). Same problem that UConn has at the XL Center. RPI's building is just the right size.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                        You're not counting CCSU?
                        CCSU gets credit when they get me a job.

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                        It's really both,no? According to reports in the newspaper, Hockey East "officials" visited UCONN a few weeks ago. I would assume that included Bertagna, though it didn't specifically identify anyone. And in the past, he has been quoted as mentioning UCONN as someone that Hockey East would be interested in adding. Further, and I concede that this is heresay, the rumor is that Hockey East initiated the conversations with UCONN, not the other way around.
                        At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter who asked who first. Hockey East still has to run their vote, and UConn still needs to demonstrate its commitment. So far every indication is that interest is mutual, and that's what people might as well assume unless they hear otherwise.

Well, it would come down to RPI and HC. RPI has the right sized building (which HC does not) and a much longer and storied tradition. In addition it spreads the HE footprint westward a bit. Gotta think RPI would have the inside track if it does not work out with UConn.
                        Albany's a useful, if not amazing, market for future negotiations. And we know RPI would be good to go at a HEA level pretty much immediately.
                        UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Of course, as we discuss RPI, this was my problem with ND. You are essentially casting who you are going to be until members leave. You no longer have flexibility unless you want to go to 14 or so... and I don't even really want to think about it. UConn is still a potential good idea... I still see Notre Dame as the bad idea... but in either case you are closing the door to many other options... you better be sure they're going to work. That makes UConn's need to communicate commitment that much more essential for Hockey East. You can't take every "potential" school. If another high profile eastern school starts hockey there really isn't an opening.
                          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                          Skating Friar Jersey
                          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            Better than being called South Henrietta Institute of Technology.
                            Never heard that one before either.
                            Of course, technically, RIT is in the northern part of West Henrietta. So although the joke is older than I am and still mildly amusing, it is inaccurate.
                            Can't we all just get along?
                            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                              Never heard that one before either.
                              Of course, technically, RIT is in the northern part of West Henrietta. So although the joke is older than I am and still mildly amusing, it is inaccurate.
                              For some reason, I thought Crittenden was the border... but that's probably two different towns.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patman View Post
                                Of course, as we discuss RPI, this was my problem with ND. You are essentially casting who you are going to be until members leave. You no longer have flexibility unless you want to go to 14 or so... and I don't even really want to think about it. UConn is still a potential good idea... I still see Notre Dame as the bad idea... but in either case you are closing the door to many other options... you better be sure they're going to work. That makes UConn's need to communicate commitment that much more essential for Hockey East. You can't take every "potential" school. If another high profile eastern school starts hockey there really isn't an opening.
                                Well, there is, but it's not something that the "lower-tier" schools would like, and that would be the same kind of cross-cleaving realignment that the NCHC represented to Western hockey. While it is highly unlikely, a "best of Hockey East" split to accommodate a high profile startup ought not be dismissed out of hand. That being said, I can count in less than one hand the number of schools that could remotely be possible triggers, and only one (Syracuse) that is plausible.
                                UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Working...
                                X