PDA

View Full Version : UConn to apply to Hockey East

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

lmg6841
03-28-2012, 04:22 PM
And screw up the league's travel partner schedule?

We want out of that garbage AHA league.

FlagDUDE08
03-28-2012, 04:29 PM
We want out of that garbage AHA league.

And you want to go to a league that can't even get a TV deal for the league championship?

Being a big fish in a small pond is not always a bad thing.

Yuppie Scum
03-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Miscellaneous thoughts:

-There's a big UConn diaspora, especially in Boston, which will probably help get the ship off the ground.
-RE Hartford, I'm sure UConn is capable of organizing bussing/transit 23 miles away. (Hell, Umass is having its D1 football games in Foxboro, something like 2 hours away)
-The Civic Center probably has a liquor license.
-I would think Uconn will be a punching bag for a couple years, which will maintain parity when well established ND steps in.

brassbonanza
03-28-2012, 04:36 PM
XL would be a disaster, the place is a worthless dump. You wouldn't get kids to pile onto buses to go into Hartford on a Friday night. If an arena is built on campus (slim chance), it could definitely work out.

lmg6841
03-28-2012, 04:42 PM
True, but it's a bad thing regarding higher quality recruits and PWR.

schiegs
03-28-2012, 04:46 PM
The next eastern conference will come out of the western AHA split... RMU, Mercyhurst, Canisius, etc. (excluding Air Force). After that, the gates are wide open and you'll see expansion throughout the northern atlantic, Ohio, and Illinois.

Yes, RMU, Mercyhurst, Niagara, Canisius et al could leave, start a new conference allowing the max number of scholarships, and be much happier. Heck, UAH could join them. Now, just to think of a name for the new conference....???? I think "College Hockey America" is available. :rolleyes:

Patman
03-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Yes, RMU, Mercyhurst, Niagara, Canisius et al could leave, start a new conference allowing the max number of scholarships, and be much happier. Heck, UAH could join them. Now, just to think of a name for the new conference....???? I think "College Hockey America" is available. :rolleyes:

Thanks... now let's think about this one... a few programs are looking to go up... they're middle level institutions... they don't see a lot of options except that a certain group of schools may want to go up in the world....

The CHA had two problems. Too few teams, expansive geography. What I'm saying is that you could end up in a situation with a few more times (6 in the short run but quickly and committed to 7-8) and they would be much more geographically compact. Instead of Northern Minnesota, CO Springs, Huntsville, and Niagara you are instead in the Ohio River Valley, Mid-Atlantic, etc. A lot more geographically compact and a firmer commitment.

J.D.
03-28-2012, 05:02 PM
This might make gene defilippo notice hockey and that's not necessarily a good thing. If it ever came to a vote I'm pretty sure he'd say F off.

bronconick
03-28-2012, 05:05 PM
I'll believe in any kind of expansion of programs when I see it.

claver2010
03-28-2012, 05:12 PM
This might make gene defilippo notice hockey and that's not necessarily a good thing. If it ever came to a vote I'm pretty sure he'd say F off.

If it came to a vote Gene would 110% percent tell them to go screw

dggoddard
03-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Bemidji's Sanford Center has 4,700 seats and was completed in 2010 for $35 million. Figure that construction in the Northeast is a lot more expensive and you're probably talking $45 million.

Connecticut probably has more millionaires than any other state its size and has the highest per capita income in the US. Shouldn't be too hard to find a donor to kick in $20 million and finance the rest.

Jim
03-28-2012, 05:18 PM
I don't trust Uconn to follow through on any construction promises they make. Look at the problems Maine, UHN, Lowell, Zoomass and Vermont have in getting funds. I'll be happy with 11 until they obtain financing and break ground on a campus rink. Yeah, I mean it isn't like UCONN has ever followed through on building any athletic facilities...I mean come on...you can say that about lots of places but UCONN has athletic facilities that are superior to pretty much everyone in new England. And they are about to start building a basketball practice building that will have more bells and whistles than you can shake a stick at. and have recently announced plans for what will in effect be a minor league baseball stadium and an upgraded soccer stadium and softball facility. I know the BC boys will probably be worried about this proposal, but in the long run it will be good for Hockey East I think.

I don't love the XL Center plan, but I'd buy it as an interim solution until a new campus facility could be put together. The problem with the XL in additon to being too far from campus is that its too friggin' big. Nobody would sell out a 15000 seat arena. But wit the correct marketing, I think they could probably get 4-5000. If it were me, I'd go for a 4500 seat on campus arena with ability to expand to maybe 8000 if needed someday. UCONN really is a good fit for hockey East in many other ways. It is the right size, right location, when it does things it does them successfully, and it has relationships with other Hockey East schools in other sports. Plus we hate BC and they hate us. Which makes for fun times for all...and puts us on the same page as the rest of the league.

VermontfaninNY
03-28-2012, 05:21 PM
I have no problem with it. Quite frankly I would not like to see either UConn or Notre Dame in, but if we are going to allow Notre Dame in it makes no sense to stay with 11 teams. However I think everybody else is right, before it even comes to a vote they have to show they are committed to building something better than a poorly maintained D-III rink.

J.D.
03-28-2012, 05:24 PM
I'm not worried about uconn hockey...just mentioning what BCs AD prob thinks.

brassbonanza
03-28-2012, 05:25 PM
Connecticut probably has more millionaires than any other state its size and has the highest per capita income in the US. Shouldn't be too hard to find a donor to kick in $20 million and finance the rest.

There aren't. It's taken them years to raise enough money to build a basketball practice facility, which is in more of a desperate need than a hockey arena, and they still haven't fully reached the goal, even with some former players kicking in a few bucks. Funding for a new hockey arena would be scarce at best, unless some donor came out of the woodwork. Howard Baldwin is the only one I can think of who might do it.

dggoddard
03-28-2012, 05:27 PM
There aren't. It's taken them years to raise enough money to build a basketball practice facility, which is in more of a desperate need than a hockey arena, and they still haven't fully reached the goal, even with some former players kicking in a few bucks. Funding for a new hockey arena would be scarce at best, unless some donor came out of the woodwork. Howard Baldwin is the only one I can think of who might do it.Having your name on an arena is far different than a practice facility. Just sayin'

Jim
03-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Yes, RMU, Mercyhurst, Niagara, Canisius et al could leave, start a new conference allowing the max number of scholarships, and be much happier. Heck, UAH could join them. Now, just to think of a name for the new conference....???? I think "College Hockey America" is available. :rolleyes: I sort of agree with you. I don't think that all those schools are all that hot to trot either about scholarships or about leaving. I'm not even all that certain that some of them, Canisius for example, favors going to 18 scholarships when they don't have their own facility to play in. I mean if you don't include Air Force, you have to assume RIT goes with them, which is a pretty big assumption that they would compete with 0 scholarships, but maybe, you still only have a 5 team league. Quite honestly, I think AHA is not such a bad set up for those smaller schools.

Jim
03-28-2012, 05:34 PM
There aren't. It's taken them years to raise enough money to build a basketball practice facility, which is in more of a desperate need than a hockey arena, and they still haven't fully reached the goal, even with some former players kicking in a few bucks. Funding for a new hockey arena would be scarce at best, unless some donor came out of the woodwork. Howard Baldwin is the only one I can think of who might do it. I think that it just took a back seat to building the facilities needed to play D1A football (which by th eway are among the best in the East at least) And to Calhoun's insistance that the former players in the NBA not be tapped for funding. And to the fact that the program was succesfull without it and finally to the animosity between Calhoun and hathaway. The new President and the New AD have different ideas and the fundraising is moving along quite nicely at this point.

brassbonanza
03-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Having your name on an arena is far different than a practice facility. Just sayin'

UConn basketball publicity >>>>>>>>>>> UConn hockey publicity.

brassbonanza
03-28-2012, 05:36 PM
I think that it just took a back seat to building the facilities needed to play D1A football (which by th eway are among the best in the East at least) And to Calhoun's insistance that the former players in the NBA not be tapped for funding. And to the fact that the program was succesfull without it and finally to the animosity between Calhoun and hathaway. The new President and the New AD have different ideas and the fundraising is moving along quite nicely at this point.

It did take a backseat, but the football facilities have been done for nearly five years, and the bball practice facility is only being drawn up right now. You're right that it has more to do with Hathaway and Calhoun not getting along. The new AD and Herbst seem to be a far better leadership team, so the practice facility will get done. As for raising the money for a new hockey arena, it sure as hell won't come from the state.