UConn to apply to Hockey East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

I wonder when an offical announcement will be made? Hopefully this isn't another Notre Dame.
    LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
      I wonder when an offical announcement will be made? Hopefully this isn't another Notre Dame.
      Hell, how long has UCONN been kicked around about them making the move to Hockey East? Heck, probably about as long as the dreaded formation of the Big Ten Hockey Conference has been on USCHO.
      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
        Guessing this month one way or the other, but it might slip into May.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
          Guessing this month one way or the other, but it might slip into May.
          My guess is late this month, but Dick has way better contacts than I do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim View Post
            If I were a betting man I'd say that HEA comes out with a statement applauding their research and interest but saying they need to have further evidence of a commitment.

The UConn proposal turns the wheels but none of the actions are firm decisions as such and every option has concrete drawbacks.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
              No contacts at all. Just reading the tea leaves.

Comment

Originally posted by Ursula
                Did I hear correctly that the league vote on UConn is set for this Thursday(4/12)?
                Nice first post, Ursula. You have heard more than we have. Sounds early to me but if it is a done deal then Thursday could be the day.

Edit: After watching the Rich Coppola piece on Fox 61 in Hartford I would have to say it is indeed a done deal. Wow!! We have waited so so so long for this! Some of us have been fans since the late 1980's.
                Last edited by RSTuthill; 04-09-2012, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                  If I were a betting man I'd say that HEA comes out with a statement applauding their research and interest but saying they need to have further evidence of a commitment.

The UConn proposal turns the wheels but none of the actions are firm decisions as such and every option has concrete drawbacks.
                  I doubt it. I think this is a done deal and if UCONN needs a few more weeks, even a month or so to finalize the details, they'll get it. Not certain its accurate since my contacts are pretty limited, but my understanding is the Hockey East approached UCONN, not the other way around. If that is true, and I have no idea whether it is, UCONN will be given all the time it needs, within reason, to make the move.

Comment

Well, my perspective, I would be incredibly disappointed if they didn't make UConn write something in stone. IMO, given the current proposals things won't work. Further, I'd make sure that UConn's commitment couldn't be walked back without penalty.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

So assuming this goes forward (we know they were looking for a 12th team anyway)... what will it be? 22 league games with travel partners?

Takes away the "home and homes" which is a negative IMO... but I can't imagine they would do home and homes if you only play each team twice in a season.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                        So assuming this goes forward (we know they were looking for a 12th team anyway)... what will it be? 22 league games with travel partners?

Takes away the "home and homes" which is a negative IMO... but I can't imagine they would do home and homes if you only play each team twice in a season.
                        Why need travel partners? It's the same thing as it's always been with Maine and UVM, except ND is another two game series. You either do two one-off games, or a weekend home and home/2 game series. UConn to every school except UVM/Maine/ND is a doable one day trip without any problem. Something tells me there would be major protest from BU, BC, and UNH if this meant they would all have to wait two years in between playing each other at home when there's no reason to.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

How I'd do scheduling in a 12-team Hockey East:

22 league games, two against each opponent.

Eight teams deemed to be close enough to the "center" of the league to play home-and-homes; their schedule amongst themselves is entirely home-and-home series (seven home-and-home series).

Four teams: Maine, Vermont, ND, and one other (UConn most likely) are deemed to be sufficiently "distant" that they play all-home or all-away series. Split up their play with the other eight teams, and two of their companions, and you have five home series and five away series for them (and have completed the schedule for the other eight teams). These teams do require accommodation for the last series. It has to be home-and-home; for distance reasons, I'd recommend making it one-off games for ND and whoever their scheduling partner is, but the other two teams could probably do a Friday-Sunday if they wanted to.

End result: 22 games with a perfect 11-game split home vs. away for everyone. Unfortunately, it's not practical to get a completely balanced schedule in place, and it will have an impact on schedule difficulty.
                          Last edited by Craig P.; 04-09-2012, 05:38 PM.
                          Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                          Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                            How I'd do scheduling in a 12-team Hockey East:

22 league games, two against each opponent.

Eight teams deemed to be close enough to the "center" of the league to play home-and-homes; their schedule amongst themselves is entirely home-and-home series (seven home-and-home series).

Four teams: Maine, Vermont, ND, and one other (UConn most likely) are deemed to be sufficiently "distant" that they play all-home or all-away series. Split up their play with the other eight teams, and two of their companions, and you have five home series and five away series for them (and have completed the schedule for the other eight teams). These teams do require accommodation for the last series. It has to be home-and-home; for distance reasons, I'd recommend making it one-off games for ND and whoever their scheduling partner is, but the other two teams could probably do a Friday-Sunday if they wanted to.

End result: 22 games with a perfect 11-game split home vs. away for everyone. Unfortunately, it's not practical to get a completely balanced schedule in place, and it will have an impact on schedule difficulty.
                            I like your schedule.........Maine and UNH should play home and away every year (Fri/Sun).

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                              Well, my perspective, I would be incredibly disappointed if they didn't make UConn write something in stone. IMO, given the current proposals things won't work. Further, I'd make sure that UConn's commitment couldn't be walked back without penalty.
                              I don't think UConn would even be this deep into the talks if they weren't serious about it. This isn't something you can half *** and they know that. UConn has shown in the past that when they make up their minds to do something they do it right. Remember football has been to what 5 bowl games in 7 seasons as a Big East member, not to mention a top 10 practice facility in the country. Basketball was nothing when they joined the Big East 20 years ago, and they now have 3 national championships. If they do it I have faith that they are going to do it right

Comment

Originally posted by be711 View Post
                                I don't think UConn would even be this deep into the talks if they weren't serious about it. This isn't something you can half *** and they know that. UConn has shown in the past that when they make up their minds to do something they do it right. Remember football has been to what 5 bowl games in 7 seasons as a Big East member, not to mention a top 10 practice facility in the country. Basketball was nothing when they joined the Big East 20 years ago, and they now have 3 national championships. If they do it I have faith that they are going to do it right
                                We'll see... I just don't see HCC/XL or expanded Frietas as long term solutions. I'm also fairly aware of UConn's history... you can't be a sports fan, spend five years there, and learn nothing.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Working...
                                X