Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
    And an average of 51 suites in ECAC arenas??? With an average of 58 seats?? Among other strange numbers. The AHA sales numbers definitely don't add up. Hopefully, for UConn's sake the critical numbers regarding UConn and HEA are more accurate.
    Bear in mind the numbers they cited were based on the teams they surveyed.
    UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
      I would assume all the public schools participated. That information has to be released anyways b/c they are government institutions, and it is all FOIA-able, so there's no benefit to not saying anything.
      You are correct. All the expenditures at UMASS and the other public schools is available under FOIA requests so there is no way they could not disclose that. The most they could do is charge them a fee to process the documents requested.

Among the schools that would be able to say no are BC, BU, NU, PC, and MC. BC is an obvious no. PC would likely have been in the survey since they wouldn't want to harm relations with their conference partner. That leaves BU, NU, and MC. BU has nothing to loose from UCONN joining. Among st the remaining two its a toss up on who would not want UCONN in.

Comment

While I still do not think that this has anything to do with friendliness or not, you are right. PC is on very good terms with UConn. In fact, wasn't it fifteen years or so ago that the UConn band played for PC in the NCAA tournament? UConn was in the same city for the BB tournament and had an off day. So when PC took the ice they were unexpectedly greeted by The Saints Go Marching In. And as it turned out, PC won that game.

Comment

From the description I quoted above, especially the "modest revenues and expenses" part, along with the points people are making of Public Schools having to participate, it seems obvious to me it was BC and BU.
          #NewMass

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
            Bear in mind the numbers they cited were based on the teams they surveyed.
            Is there even one ECAC arena with 51 suites? (If the ECAC numbers are averages, then there are more seats in suites in the ECAC than there are in the arenas!) I understand it was a limited sample, but there seem to be a lot of numbers that just don't add up. I truly wish UConn all the best, but I think this report might be suffering from a little bit of telling the customer what they want to hear (i.e., perhaps it will cost UConn a whole lot more than estimated here to become competitive in HEA.

(And like everyone, I also have my bias as I'd prefer someone leave ECAC for HEA to give RIT a possible shot at the ECAC.)
            -M

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
              1) The consultants estimated an upgrade to 3500 was feasible on the current site (assuming no major changes or new land acquisitions), to a cost of $10.8 million. As I suspected, the best way to expand would be to build up the roof space a la Matthews. An encouraging number if accurate, but it doesn't fit with the HEA desire for at least a 4000 seat arena (the number is cited as a minimum, but it's also stated as not a deal breaker, simply requiring extra approval from the commissioner and/or the conference membership; if HEA is as interested in UConn as it seems, that could be a formality, but that remains to be seen). 3500 is not so far off from 4000, however.
              HEA has tollerated the Lawler Arena with 2489 theoretical capacity (Which is actually a reduction of capacity after the reno last year) for 20+ years. I think they'd be fine with a 2500-3500 situation for a few years, especially if they could sell it out. Wouldn't be completely shocked if MC wanted to keep its books closed for this by the way. We all know there were a lot of "Fenway Sellouts."

Comment

The entire capacity issue is a red herring. I've been to dozens and dozens of games over the years at MC, PC, UMA and UML when the actual (vs. the announced-) attendance probably averaged < 2,000. The size of the arena in question doesn't matter until/if it matters... It seems that UConn has a great Plan B in place, if droves of hockey fans suddenly appear at their barn trying to kick down the doors.

I'm in favor of adding UConn. Unlike Notre Dame, they're a natural fit, just as UVM was/is. (And it'll give me another relatively easy drive to see Maine on the road.)

Comment

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
                  Is there even one ECAC arena with 51 suites?
                  Of course not. Ridiculous on the face of it. There might be 51 total but even that is probably a stretch. Suspect the definition of "suite" might be an issue or they are counting their tournament venue suites. Who knows? Probably of little consequence. All they needed was a white paper and they got it. Sounds like the Governor is on board. Let's go!

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                    Of course not. Ridiculous on the face of it. There might be 51 total but even that is probably a stretch. Suspect the definition of "suite" might be an issue or they are counting their tournament venue suites. Who knows? Probably of little consequence. All they needed was a white paper and they got it. Sounds like the Governor is on board. Let's go!
                    Yes ... that is pretty much what I was trying to say. I'd guess the key numbers might be more accurate (let's hope so) and the others were done with significantly less care. ECAC numbers really mean nothing if your plan is to jump from AHA to HEA. I just read the report with different interests; the ECAC vs. AHA comparison.
                    -M

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                      Among the schools that would be able to say no are BC, BU, NU, PC, and MC. BC is an obvious no. PC would likely have been in the survey since they wouldn't want to harm relations with their conference partner. That leaves BU, NU, and MC. BU has nothing to loose from UCONN joining. Among st the remaining two its a toss up on who would not want UCONN in.
                      I don't think it has anything to do with UConn being the school who asked (or UConn's consulting firm being the firm who asked). I think it is entirely a function of not wanting the information to become public. In which case, I think it would be BU mainly because they don't want BC to know anything. What the heck would Merrimack have to hide from anyone? Northeastern is a possibility, but I don't think it's any secret that they spend less than BU/BC. I think BUs nightmare scenario is Parker's exact compensation being released, and them realizing that he is getting a vastly different pay package than York, or BC seeing what they spend on recruiting, or everyone finding out that they are taking a bath on Agganis (I am not insinuating that they are, but it would be embarrassing if so). BU may want UConn in, or not care that UConn gets in, but at the end of the day they'd rather not have someone in the BC athletic offices poring over the books.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                        I don't think it has anything to do with UConn being the school who asked (or UConn's consulting firm being the firm who asked). I think it is entirely a function of not wanting the information to become public.
                        +1

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                          +1
                          Have to agree with you guys here had nothing to do with who asked. To some degree it was determined by who could say yes or no, ie state schools had a much harder time denying access to the data.
                          Last edited by Jim; 04-02-2012, 02:22 PM.

Comment

After reading through the whole document, it appears that three Hockey East teams didn't respond to the survey and they had attendance between 4,900 and 6,200 according to other sources (Page 13).

From the NCAA report for 2011 only 4 Hockey East schools averaged over 4,900 fans:
                            BC 6,292
                            UNH 5,725
                            BU 5,027
                            Maine 4,928

But the rest of the report makes it seem that both UNH and Maine reported info.

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
                              The report says I'm honored that you think that the UMass hockey program fits that description.
                              ...not to mention that the last time I checked, UMass was not a "private" school...

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                                After reading through the whole document, it appears that three Hockey East teams didn't respond to the survey and they had attendance between 4,900 and 6,200 according to other sources (Page 13).

From the NCAA report for 2011 only 4 Hockey East schools averaged over 4,900 fans:
                                BC 6,292
                                UNH 5,725
                                BU 5,027
                                Maine 4,928

But the rest of the report makes it seem that both UNH and Maine reported info.
                                Where can I view the report?

Comment

Working...
                                X