2011-2012 North Dakota Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011-2012 North Dakota Offseason Thread

Well, a disappointing result to a surprising season. At the beginning of the year, my expectations were a 4-6 place finish, trip to the Final Five, and a trip to the NCAA Tournament. They finished 4th, won the Broadmoor, and made it to within a game of the Frozen Four....despite all of the obstacles that they faced. It always is difficult to have the season end, especially at the hands of a rival, but there a greener pastures ahead for this program. Depending on who comes back, commits to the program (de-commits from the program), and what other unknown changes happen, the Sioux should be a top contender next season.

Anyway...might as well get the offseason talk started.

Great season Sioux...you gave us one hell of a ride.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Re: 2011-2012 North Dakota Offseason Thread

Definitely proud of this Sioux team. A little bit lower expectations for this year, and they were definitely exceeded. Battling through the adversity, and never giving up, those are things that make you proud to be a fan. Hoping everybody stays, but gut tells me Kristo has played his last game for us.

For the record, I want a NC over a Broadmoor every year, but that was one heck of a run. That is arguably one of the best Broadmoor trophies er have captured.
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
      Definitely proud of this Sioux team. A little bit lower expectations for this year, and they were definitely exceeded. Battling through the adversity, and never giving up, those are things that make you proud to be a fan. Hoping everybody stays, but gut tells me Kristo has played his last game for us.

For the record, I want a NC over a Broadmoor every year, but that was one heck of a run. That is arguably one of the best Broadmoor trophies er have captured.
      The flight risks have to be Kristo, Nelson, Knight, Dell, MacWilliam, and Forbort. There is also the chance that someone from out of nowhere leaves, but I don't see that happening from this year's squad. I tend to agree that Kristo is likely gone. I'm not sure what more he has to prove at the NCAA level, but according to Schlossman there is a good chance Kristo comes back. I don't see Knight leaving early, and I think Dell comes back. Nelson could benefit from another year in college, but could get some pressure from Long Island to leave early. That leaves MacWilliam and Forbort. If both of those guys come back, our D should be absolutely loaded. It will be nice getting Grimaldi, O'Donnell, and Rodwell back, and we have a solid group of freshmen coming in next year.

It's probably too early to think about expectations for next season, but I'm thinking that a run for the last MacNaughton (at least for the Sioux), a 4peat at the Final Five, and a trip to the Frozen Four might be reasonable expectations for the team. Of course, those expectations could very well change between now and tomorrow (or May/June/July) depending on what the shape of the team is. Ultimately though, I will never ever doubt a Dave Hakstol coached team. I was pretty close to writing them off after the Bemidji series. That will never happen again. It was a great run this year.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        The flight risks have to be Kristo, Nelson, Knight, Dell, MacWilliam, and Forbort. There is also the chance that someone from out of nowhere leaves, but I don't see that happening from this year's squad. I tend to agree that Kristo is likely gone. I'm not sure what more he has to prove at the NCAA level, but according to Schlossman there is a good chance Kristo comes back. I don't see Knight leaving early, and I think Dell comes back. Nelson could benefit from another year in college, but could get some pressure from Long Island to leave early. That leaves MacWilliam and Forbort. If both of those guys come back, our D should be absolutely loaded. It will be nice getting Grimaldi, O'Donnell, and Rodwell back, and we have a solid group of freshmen coming in next year.

It's probably too early to think about expectations for next season, but I'm thinking that a run for the last MacNaughton (at least for the Sioux), a 4peat at the Final Five, and a trip to the Frozen Four might be reasonable expectations for the team. Of course, those expectations could very well change between now and tomorrow (or May/June/July) depending on what the shape of the team is. Ultimately though, I will never ever doubt a Dave Hakstol coached team. I was pretty close to writing them off after the Bemidji series. That will never happen again. It was a great run this year.
        I agree there. I don't think Forbort is quite ready yet to be honest. He took huge steps these last two months, but I feel like he's just not a complete enough player for the next level.

Dell, Mac, Forbort and Knight stay. The other two could go either way, IMHO.
        AF 99

Comment

Was pulling for you guys. When the TV announcers mentioned that you were playing like the 5th game in 10 days, all on the road, and that Minnesota hadn't been anywhere since they'd been here, and how tired you guys all of a sudden looked............

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
            Was pulling for you guys. When the TV announcers mentioned that you were playing like the 5th game in 10 days, all on the road, and that Minnesota hadn't been anywhere since they'd been here, and how tired you guys all of a sudden looked............
            Lack of depth finally caught up with us. The way we started the game, you could tell they were giving it their all and hat how badly they wanted it. That only counts for so much, and the season had to come to an end. This has been a great yet for a young team to learn a lot, and in hoping we're poised and ready to be a contender next year. (assuming the pieces stay together)
            AF 99

Comment

I notice the new jerseys, they look pretty good. Miss that logo but congrats on a fine season and post season.
              NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

It sucks you guys won't be in Tampa, you were my only hope for having a "team" there. Besides UND fans are fun. No Maine No UND, BC and Minnie, yuck
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Nice season guys. After having only 2 losses in the last 17 games, this team was truly scary. The big hope is you keep the core of your team.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Watching the Sioux play yesterday and look increasingly gassed was reminiscent to me of a week ago, and how gassed my DU Pioneers looked as the Sioux walked all over them. Sometimes a team is able to play above the exhaustion and go beyond expectations (usually aided and abetted by a lights-out goalie), but neither the Pio's last week nor the Sioux yesterday were up to that task. Props to the Sioux for an outstanding year in spite of a very short roster. Possibly Hakstol's best coaching job ever, even though not into the FF. Even though none of them are at the final dance, it's going to be awesome watching the weekly competition in the NACHO in a year-plus. WMU has taken a major step forward the last two years. (And, arguably, the degree to how hard they made Sioux work on Saturday was a key contributing factor to yesterday, when Minny had a comparative walk in the park in their semifinal.) Have a good off-season, and look forward to resumption of the competition in 8 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                      aww, the playoffs are so very unfair.
                      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                        aww, the playoffs are so very unfair.

Well, we had a tough road this year, but it wasn't anything as brutal as getting matched up with Holy Cross, or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

I actually enjoyed this season a lot. To see where they came back from, and more importantly, to see the strides that players like Gaarder, Pattyn, etc..., made from early in the season has me very optimistic for next year.

In terms of flight risks, I'll be surprised if Kristo is back. And if he makes the jump, my best wishes. He played his heart out down the stretch, he clearly has the talent to play at the next level, and he's earned his shot. If he were to return I will simply look at it as a huge, huge bonus.

I think Forbort is our next biggest risk. Only because L.A. seems to have some defensive issues. But if Derek comes back I think he's going to have a huge year. I also think the pros are willing to let defensive players mature a little longer.

I'm really, really optimistic about next year. We might only lose our seniors and Kristo. We'll get back Grimaldi, Rodwell, O'Donnell. Add in a couple of freshmen. We'll have the MacMillan brothers on our team, and we've always done great with brothers.

The WCHA is going to be outstanding next year, imho, and we will be right in the mix.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

About one week late with the Holy Cross "shot"!
                            Originally posted by cg_siouxfan View Post
                            Well, we had a tough road this year, but it wasn't anything as brutal as getting matched up with Holy Cross, or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Gphrpkhead View Post
                              About one week late with the Holy Cross "shot"!
                              Nah, I don't like kicking someone when they're down.

Comment

Working...
                              X