Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Wolverines: 2012-2013 Season thread!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines: 2012-2013 Season thread!!!!!!!

I need 1 more manager for a Fantasy Hockey league. Does anyone want to join?

And so I don't get yelled at for spamming I'll throw a Michigan Hockey observation out there. Coach Berenson has lived Michigan Hockey, Blue ice is what keeps him young. With this season being so God-awful (by Michigan standards) and Coach not finishing the game, streaker mentioned that Wiseman was running the team at the end of the night, do you think Coach has given up? It's a nasty thought but maybe Coach retires after this year? I know that he has 3 years left under contract but technically those that contract doesn't begin until after this season. Michigan may decide just to void that contract, with Coach's permission of course, and allow Coach to ride off into the sun-set? I seriously hope that isn't the case but you can tell this season is wearing on him. I talked with Gordie (Coach's son) several years ago and asked him about his Dad. Gordie said that his Dad will keep Coaching until it isn't fun anymore. Coach Berenson doesn't appear to be having much fun currently.
    Originally posted by alfablue
    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

I can't believe I'm asking this question but here it goes-

Who would Michigan go after should Red retire? I'm guessing Mel Pearson would be the #1, and then maybe Jeff Blashill as a #2?
      ---
      National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
      Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
      19 Conference Championships
      10 Conference Tournament Championships
      2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by kjaskolski View Post
        The goaltending, IMO, is the single most glaring issue on this team (and there are quite a few issues mind you).
        So many issues indeed...

Janecyk was awful tonight (second game vs. Alaska). I arrived late and missed the first goal against us, but the 2nd and especially the 4th were very soft (the 4th reminded me of a goal given up in my son's Mite game on Friday, not a college goal), and, while the defensemen were at part to blame for leaving the Alaska shooter open on the 3rd, Janecyk had a clear view and still should have had it.

The offense actually generates a lot of opportunities. What we're lacking on offense is a sniper, a reliable goal scorer, someone who finishes those opportunities regularly. We don't have one. In the past, we've often had 2.

We all know that the defense is bad. Trouba is a a maddening player. I saw him make a couple great plays that showed his potential, but he also had 3 penalties and made some absolutely awful passes. Simple cross-the-blue-line pass to Merrill, he put it over the line. They regrouped, went back in, same thing happened not 30 seconds later.

So, our recruitment list (yes, I'm already talking about next year) consists of a top-notch goalscorer, a top-notch goalie, and, given that our defensive corps is already stretched thin and that Merrill probably won't want to stick around another year for the rebuilding, a defensive leader and at least two other competent defensemen. No competition for those types of players at all! Michigan has the cachet to pull it off, but it won't be easy.

The good news is that the Big Ten Network League should actually be easier than the CCHA next year.
        Last edited by MichFan; 01-12-2013, 11:15 PM.

Comment

hmmm.... see you on the 25th!
          Last edited by Lawson_lunatic27; 01-13-2013, 12:27 AM.
          Whiney Ferris Knuckle-dragger:"You're exactly right, the WMU students & fans are out of control. The Lawson Lunatics are a bunch of wild animals with zero class or civility"

Comment

I don't know what to make of this team. Tuesday against Bowling Greeen it looked like they weren't even trying. This weekend against Alaska it seemed they were at least putting effort into it.
            Normally I'd look at wins in the season and say, "look, we can beat anyone", but the record looks more like everyone wins a game now and then.
            With the injured defense and the results thus far, it's hard to have hope and optimism. The team heads to Lake State this weekend where we continue to hope for our first road win.
            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G
            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
            2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post

Who would Michigan go after should Red retire? I'm guessing Mel Pearson would be the #1, and then maybe Jeff Blashill as a #2?
              Rico Blasi

Comment

Originally posted by MeridianStreet View Post
                Rico Blasi
                No.

Did you say that just to make me as angry as possible?

a) Rico has a good thing going at Miami (as much as I hate to admit it). And I imagine it's hard to get someone away from their alma mater...which makes me wonder if Mel will be a possibility.
                b) I will rage quit being a Michigan fan so fast if Rico was hired. Heck, I'm probably 1/3 of the way to quitting thanks to Pizza Dave trying to add a "wow factor" and make Michigan athletics more like the pros. Thanks but I'm a college fan because of the tradition, bands, students, fans and atmosphere that make it different from the pros.
                Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                7 B1G
                7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                2 Alaskan

Comment

Michigan hired Bo Schembechler away form his alma mater. Just saying...

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                  No.

Did you say that just to make me as angry as possible?

a) Rico has a good thing going at Miami (as much as I hate to admit it). And I imagine it's hard to get someone away from their alma mater...which makes me wonder if Mel will be a possibility.
                  b) I will rage quit being a Michigan fan so fast if Rico was hired. Heck, I'm probably 1/3 of the way to quitting thanks to Pizza Dave trying to add a "wow factor" and make Michigan athletics more like the pros. Thanks but I'm a college fan because of the tradition, bands, students, fans and atmosphere that make it different from the pros.

Comment

Rico Blasi
                    That is too funny!

Comment

Rico Blasi
                      I'm with wT on this one, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
                      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Learn the lessons and mistakes made from football with Rich Rod, NEVER go outside the UM family when choosing a coach.

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post

Mike Babcock (heard it from a U of M athletics insider...). Not sure they would get him, but intriguing nontheless.
                          Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Arpod View Post
                            Mike Babcock (heard it from a U of M athletics insider...). Not sure they would get him, but intriguing nontheless.
                            I've heard that too, stemming back a couple of years. Babcock has been to a lot of Michigan games over the last few years too. This year with the lock-out you'd think nothing of it but the two years prior he was also there several times. I personally can't see it but what do I know?

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                              Babcock has been to a lot of Michigan games over the last few years too.
                              His daughter goes to school at UM, and is a hockey fan. Well, I assume she is, based on the fact that they met at Yost instead of somewhere else in AA (seeing how they greeted each other).

Could be rumors based on Babcock being seen around campus more than one would be used to. One can hope, certainly.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                                His daughter goes to school at UM, and is a hockey fan. Well, I assume she is, based on the fact that they met at Yost instead of somewhere else in AA (seeing how they greeted each other).

Could be rumors based on Babcock being seen around campus more than one would be used to. One can hope, certainly.

I was not aware of that, however it was 2010 when I first heard that "rumor". What year is Babcock's daughter?

Hey, we got a win tonight!

Comment

Working...
                                X