Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Wolverines: 2012-2013 Season thread!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines: 2012-2013 Season thread!!!!!!!

Originally posted by bluevox View Post
    I think that the U of M athletic department has reached the point of diminishing returns. The prices have kept increasing and now they are talking about Personal Seat Licenses. I think that the waiting list for season tickets has disappeared and we might see less and less people at the games. Take it from someone who goes to most every game, the announced attendance is usually nowhere near the number of people in the building. In fact, I have a couple of extras that I am having a hard time getting rid of for free.
    Hey, if you ever have a ticket that you just want to "give-away" I only live 10 minutes from Yost and I'd be interested in going.
    Originally posted by alfablue
    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
      I've never been so excited in my life for a PPG.

Adam Janecyk. You are the guy. 1-0-1 as a starter.
      Anyone notice some slight similarities between this year and 2010? Shawn Hunwick 2.0?
      Originally posted by alfablue
      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
        Think Michigan misses Mel Pearson???.................I do.
        I don't. and this post is why you are not in the athletic department.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          No more games for you, streaker. Either that, or we need to have a glass breakage break more often.

Pretty even game up until then- with the typical mistakes, and a lot of amazing missed chances- if they could pass and take a pass- a lot would get improved. I'd suggest a LOT of passing practice. Like the entire ice time.

Once the glass broke, Michigan started to play better, and with some actual emotion.

Which gave Jaynek a shut out. And Serville his first goal of his Michigan carreer- congrats to both!

So, finally a WIN. It's been so long....
          Thanks for that, E. Pretty much why I am banned from Regionals, as if that has helped lately.

Where in the world did all of these WMU fans come from? Basically on this site from 1996 and never seen so many. I guess that is what happens when the bandwagon pulls into town with a winner. The best kind of fans filled with the best kind of comments. You all stay classy.

Comment

Originally posted by 13cupsandcounting View Post
            I've been watching CCHA Hockey for many years and this is one of the worst Michigan teams I've ever seen. They've just always had such great flow and scoring, yet this year it's non existent. I also think that Trouba is an idiot, boy does he take some stupid penalties. How on earth was this kid the #9 pick
            Well, I appreciate the first part of your comments, considering Michigan's play does take me back to 1984, when BG actually had a respectable program and Michigan... didn't.
            There are multiple issues on the current edition of Michigan's team, but skill is not necessarily one of them. Goaltending hasn't been this porous since I can remember, but other than that there are 11 NHL draftees on this team that are underperforming, not including Jon Merrill who has been out all season. Trouba is raw and plays with an edge- so yes, he has some maturing to do. But, that has nothing to do with the fact that he is a real talent, has a heavy shot, can skate and is physical. He'll get his shot in the NHL, so there is no doubt Winnipeg's draft choice will not be wasted.

Comment

Western has always had a strong student following.... now that our program is doing well you might see more of a presence on here. But to say that we're all on the "bandwagon" isn't necessarily fair. We're just happy to be included in the conversation finally!
              Whiney Ferris Knuckle-dragger:"You're exactly right, the WMU students & fans are out of control. The Lawson Lunatics are a bunch of wild animals with zero class or civility"

Comment

Originally posted by Lawson_lunatic27 View Post
                Western has always had a strong student following.... now that our program is doing well you might see more of a presence on here. But to say that we're all on the "bandwagon" isn't necessarily fair. We're just happy to be included in the conversation finally!
                There has been, for sure.

But the recent Bronco posters here have a sum total of posts of about 100. So you guys are new here, and generally new = bandwagon if the team is doing well. ESPECAILLY with the backing that Western has had over a very long time.

Had some of the very long time posting Western fans be part of the last 3 or so days of posting, I bet streaker would not be pointing it out. What's also interesting, Western has been a part of the conversation for a while, and managed to win the CCHA championship LAST SEAON. This isn't new. Just you posters are.

Comment

Fair enough... I look forward to future postings and being a part of this community
                  Whiney Ferris Knuckle-dragger:"You're exactly right, the WMU students & fans are out of control. The Lawson Lunatics are a bunch of wild animals with zero class or civility"

Comment

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
                    Think Michigan misses Mel Pearson???.................I do.
                    We're glad to have him back home at Tech! But I know he is looking forward to the GLI and seeing old friends.

Comment

Its about time Janey got a shot in the net...nice to see he made the best of it. He is a great kid.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        There has been, for sure.

But the recent Bronco posters here have a sum total of posts of about 100. So you guys are new here, and generally new = bandwagon if the team is doing well. ESPECAILLY with the backing that Western has had over a very long time.

Had some of the very long time posting Western fans be part of the last 3 or so days of posting, I bet streaker would not be pointing it out. What's also interesting, Western has been a part of the conversation for a while, and managed to win the CCHA championship LAST SEAON. This isn't new. Just you posters are.
                        I'll bite.

I didn't know about the USCHO Fan Forum until there was a link posted on the WMU message board (I think it was Bronconick with one of the PairWise threads). I started creepin' for awhile then started posting about a year and a half ago.

We have a good amount of hockey posters over on the WMU board, but until recently, not too many had checked out this site as well. We don't have the elaborate "season threads" like most of the other schools on here, so there isn't too much to do on here. Other than ruffle some feathers in other CCHA threads

I, for one, welcome any new fans. We sure as hell could use a lot more of them.
                        Last edited by broncos24; 12-18-2012, 09:01 AM.
                        Western Michigan University Bronco Hockey
                        Home of the Lawson Lunatics

Comment

I was starting to think we needed a new thread to get things turned around. We will see, but the Saturday night game gives me hope. As bad as Michigan looked on Friday, they looked like a tournament team on Saturday. Not world beaters, but a team that could and should make the tournament. The same could not be said before this weekend.

As for it carrying forward from here, we will see, but like I said, I feel much better about our prospects at this point.
                          Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Hold up, wait, tournament team? I'm not there yet. Even if I only look at this Saturday's game.

I think we still have goaltending issues. I think we have 3 decent goalies, but I don't think we have a tournament goalie, and we certainly don't have a game stealing goalie. I'm happy that Janey got a shut out, but I didn't think he faced that many shots (looking at the box score, 25 saves...I had seen it was only 15 after 2 and was pleased the team was doing a good job of preventing scoring opportunities).

I think the GLI will be huge. If we play State, we should beat them (I still have no idea what that game at Munn was all about, but I believe we are the better team). We've proven we can play as well as Western. Tech I don't know about. I think they've had the same struggles we've had this season, but with less talent and lower expectation.
                            My concern is defense. Take out Trouba, Merrill still out. We have 6 defensemen left. Can we play to Saturday night's level at the GLI? Is one win against a good team enough momentum to build on? Would a GLI loss (or two ) put us back into the "woe is us" mentality?
                            I hope Saturday's Western game was the turning point, but I'll believe it when I see it. Oh, and I'm still waiting to see them score in more than one period of a game.

We have a talented, capable team. Now we just need consistency (and a crap ton of wins).
                            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                            7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                              Hold up, wait, tournament team? I'm not there yet. Even if I only look at this Saturday's game.
                              When I say they look like a tournament team, I mean a team that contends to be in the tournament. To borrow a term from sqeakball, a "bubble team." We played with Notre Dame, despite the final scores. Split with Western. To me, a tournament team is an average to above average team.

I think we still have goaltending issues. I think we have 3 decent goalies, but I don't think we have a tournament goalie, and we certainly don't have a game stealing goalie. I'm happy that Janey got a shut out, but I didn't think he faced that many shots (looking at the box score, 25 saves...I had seen it was only 15 after 2 and was pleased the team was doing a good job of preventing scoring opportunities).
                              Agreed, I think we have decent goalies, but to me, the goalies have not been the problem. Do they steal games for us? No. Are they capable? Yes. I think or problems stem from the team defense.

I think the GLI will be huge... Is one win against a good team enough momentum to build on? Would a GLI loss (or two ) put us back into the "woe is us" mentality?
                              The GLI will be huge. It always is. I think this past weekend could be the turning point for the season. Maybe I am just hoping it is. It seems we have had a couple of games were we said this could be a turning point. My feeling was that the team played better on Saturday than the had on Friday. I hope this continues. If we don't get a win over the break, I would say that the team did not learn it's lesson and we can start thinking about 2013-14. If the Mayans are right, we won't have to worry about any of this, though.

Now we just need consistency (and a crap ton of wins).
                              Agreed.
                              Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

If I were Red- here's what I would do before the next practice...

#1) Take the A off of Moffie's jersey. He's a good kid, and knows how to play hockey. Something is making him not- take some pressure off, and let him play the way he knows how to. This isn't about punishment- he can have it back if he can find that balance.

#2) give a handful of pucks to each of the players. Tell them that they need to have a stick in hand, and a puck at the end every moment.

#3) given #2, if you see any other Michigan player, pass to them immediately, and then continue for the next 15 min.

#4) as the seniors to hold some informal practices to see the results of #2 and #3.

#5) Trouba- stop trying to lay someone out. Just make good coverage. Eventually, and opposing player will present you with a golden chance to legally lay them out. Just wait for it. When you don't wait, and miss, it puts the team into a pickle. Your passing is top notch, and for you, I'll lower #3 to 10 min. Your shooting is even better. But you are a defeseman, and seemed to have not caught up to the speed of the college game. Lets work on that.

#6) Forwards- I know it's tough, but trust your D, and cover their D. the more you cheat, the less that a panic'ed D can dump it to you where you are supposed to be. Also- MOVE. When you sit on the board waiting for the puck to arrive, it's a no brainer for the opposing D to jump in and cover. You are making it easy for them.

#7) PP. You guys seem to be waiting too long for something to happen. Move. Move and pass. do it quickly to confuse the other team. Otherwise, you will result in dumping the puck on a 5 on 3, and not getting it. As it stands now, if we don't win a faceoff in their zone, we don't have a PP. Even then, between waiting and nobody moving, it's very easy to cover you.

#8) double #2 and #3.

#9- lightly- have some emotion out there. be a little meaner. remember when Janecyk was knocked over via the net when a WMU player knocked it off? You should have been in his face. No punches, but at least clear that it was unnacceptable that he did that. (and if it was not clear who was at fault, remember that the face off was OUTSIDE, which means that the oppsing player knocked off the net by himself....) You guys need to take it a little more personally....

This seems obvious to me. Passing is horrible, Moffie needs to refocus on what got his A, Trouba, well... D coverage is painful, as is the breakout. Did I mention passing? If our passing game was decent, the potential for putting up 5 on Saturday was rather obvious- at least they would have been able to put the puck on the net in aweseom situations. And Friday may have been different had we scored on the chances in the 1st (or even got chances).

Stuff can be fixed, what's hard to take is that the problems appear obvious, and getting worse at times.

Comment

Working...
                                X