Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Wolverines: 2012-2013 Season thread!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines: 2012-2013 Season thread!!!!!!!

Originally posted by streaker View Post
    I doubt Michigan would do that next season. I can't say they will rule anything out once in the BTHC, but typically they only play higher profile teams on the road unless it is in some type of tournament. Most of their nonconference games are played at Yost. Glad that Bentley fans had a good experience, it is also fun for Michigan fans to meet fans from programs they haven't played or play infrequently (although the result against Union was embarrassing.)

I mentioned in another thread that outside of several teams in the AH conference (Sacred Heart, Army, AI, RIT, Robert Morris,Holy Cross and Canisius) that Michigan has never played before in their history, the only teams in established conferences they haven't played now are Minnesota State, U-Mass and Vermont.

Also: All-American Team goaltending I can live with Taylor Nelson, but Kent Patterson over Hunwick? Seriously? What a bunch of political bs.
    Looks like the Bentley Falcons will be visiting Yost for another game this season on October 19th; I need to look for a way to justify a flight out!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Looks like the Bentley Falcons will be visiting Yost for another game this season on October 19th; I need to look for a way to justify a flight out!
      Glad to have any Bentley fans out to Yost. Let us know if you are coming Snively65.

Also- RIT is on the schedule for two games, too. First time meeting for these programs.

Cornell, Michigan Tech and MSU/WMU round out nc play this coming season.

Michigan will not entertain OSU, LSSU or NMU this final CCHA season. Conversely, U-M has made their final trip to BG, Alaska (for conference play) and Miami as those schools will come to Yost for their last conference meetings.
      The Wolverines will play four games against Notre Dame, Ferris State, MSU and WMU (with an additional game against WMU/MSU at the GLI.)
      This will close out any future scheduled meetings with everyone except Michigan State and Ohio State.

Not the most impressive nc schedule from a PWR standpoint, but some interesting match-ups nonetheless, with Michigan Tech being the only WCHA school on the schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
        Not the most impressive nc schedule from a PWR standpoint, but some interesting match-ups nonetheless, with Michigan Tech being the only WCHA school on the schedule.
        That's an understatement. It just means that they will have to win them all!

I just DO NOT like all the home games clustered in the first half of the season. There is a very good likelihood several of them will find their way onto the secondary market.
        Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
        Row 1
        Seats 6 & 7
        Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Just thought I'd post two links to Daily articles relating to Hockey. The first is about 2 former Wolverines (Brown & Komisarek) as members of the Toronto Maple Leafs during the Winter Classic at The Big House.

http://www.michigandaily.com/node/67050

The second centers around incoming Frosh Trouba.

http://www.michigandaily.com/node/67042
          Originally posted by alfablue
          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
            That's an understatement. It just means that they will have to win them all!

I just DO NOT like all the home games clustered in the first half of the season. There is a very good likelihood several of them will find their way onto the secondary market.
            Home games early in the season just aren't quite as intense or rewarding. The stakes aren't known yet (who woulda thought the early Michigan-Ferris series would be so pivotal last season when it happened? Nobody), the weather hasn't fully chilled, and the football team is still playing games of relatively stronger value. After the GLI the games have more obvious stakes insomuch as the team's conference and national pairwise position are more visible, the weather feels like hockey weather, and football has receded to allow hockey to be more prominent.

Not that it really affects me now that I can't attend home games on any sort of frequent basis, but it still matters. This won't be a thrilling conclusion to the CCHA at Yost this year. More of a whimper.

I get more and more on board with the B1G switch every time something like this happens.
            Jesus Saves

Comment

Want to get depressed? Read Matt Slovin's twitter feed right now.

It used to be we sweated out each summer worrying about which players would leave after a year or two to go pro. Now they go to the OHL before we even have to worry about it.

I'm going to make take a piece of poster board, cut out a giant "O," and burn it in effigy now.
              Jesus Saves

Comment

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
                Not that it really affects me now that I can't attend home games on any sort of frequent basis, but it still matters. This won't be a thrilling conclusion to the CCHA at Yost this year. More of a whimper.

I get more and more on board with the B1G switch every time something like this happens.
                As a Gopher fan, I've figured that MSU, OSU, PSU and WI all come out ahead on the BTHC. MI I had pegged as breakeven...but based on posts like this and the ongoing challenges with the CHL...it appears the Big Ten could be good for Michigan as well. The Gophers remain the big losers over the creation of the conference.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

from the "Michigan Hockey" Facebook page:

NTDP defenseman Connor Carrick announced on his Twitter account today that he has decided to play for the Plymouth Whalers, instead of the Michigan Wolverines, who he had previously committed to.
                  Row 1
                  Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Carrick twitter

Sucks for Michigan and for college hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                      Carrick twitter

Sucks for Michigan and for college hockey...
                      I hope that kid doesn't end up regretting his decision. Being a 5th round draft pick, his chances of making it to the big leagues isn't good and now he's missing out on getting that degree he's chasing from a solid school like Michigan? Yikes. Going to college when you're 25+ years old is much easier to say than do.

Comment

More bad news for you guys, not to mention NCAA hockey as a whole: http://www.michigandaily.com/blog/ho...n-michigan-ohl

A University of Michigan education may be costly, but it isn't $200,000 costly. Also see https://twitter.com/#!/JoeYerdonPHT for commentary.
                        Last edited by Beer Pong Horn; 07-02-2012, 11:20 PM.
                        Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                        I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                        Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Today, 4th, The players family said that the lad is not going anywhere but Michigan. To add insult, the OHL Rangers threaten a law suit against the Daily. I have to believe that the reporter had a good source before posting.
                          He is as cool as a bomb disposal technician!

Comment

Nothing new there. The Rangers have threatened lawsuits before, against Jeff Jackson during the Cam Fowler affair.

The purpose is to make the response so loud and so strong that you "appear" innocent and silence opposition, allowing you to continue the corrupt practices you have no intention of changing. It's the same technique a certain cycling star has used for years, so far successfully, to avoid admitting wrongdoing as a part of his own success. And I'm someone who rooted for the guy and wants him to keep credit for his titles in a dirty era.

The OHL is slimy dirty, a lawless oligarchy of the well-to-do teams overpowering ethics and the lesser clubs to get their way. There's a reason why Sudbury, Sault St Marie, Sarnia, Kingston, and others never have a consistent chance to win titles anymore. It's not because they're poorly managed (though some are). It's because the big-money teams in the OHL do what they want and nobody stops them. It's like MLB during the steroid era, or the SWC in the 80s, or the SEC now (and forever?). The league benefits from this, so they will never change.

And besides the "little guy" teams with dedicated fans that can barely hope to see their team even advance in the playoffs, the organization that suffers for this corruption more than anyone else is Michigan, who recruits the best players in an area swimming in OHL money. It's not that the OHL teams are looking at Michigan all the time--they only fight over a handful of players--but rather that they are eying each other. London, Kitchener, Windsor, and company involved in a nuclear arms race and they have plenty of dedicated fans who have no problem ponying up the cash it takes to get players to sign on the side.

And they don't care who they have to silence to do it. In this instance, it's Matt Slovin. They aren't picking on him or the Daily because they're in the right; they're picking on them because they think they can get away with it.

You may get the impression that I'm a bit aggravated by all this. You would be correct. I consider myself a casual fan of OHL hockey and have enjoyed their product for some time. But they got caught playing dirty and they know it. I kind of hope this does go to trial so that the facts can be exposed; any hockey alums go into law that can offer pro bono help?
                            Jesus Saves

Comment

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
                              You may get the impression that I'm a bit aggravated by all this. You would be correct. I consider myself a casual fan of OHL hockey and have enjoyed their product for some time. But they got caught playing dirty and they know it. I kind of hope this does go to trial so that the facts can be exposed; any hockey alums go into law that can offer pro bono help?
                              As a matter of fact, there is a certain former Michigan hockey player who is an attorney and lives in Saline. He was a "one-and-done" player (as in one year). His wife is a Washtenaw County Commissioner. You'll have to talk with him about the pro bono part.
                              Last edited by JoeZ; 07-05-2012, 10:22 AM.
                              Row 1
                              Seats 6 & 7

Comment

http://www.therecord.com/sports/rang...er-family-says
                                Originally posted by alfablue
                                Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                                Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                                I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Working...
                                X