PDA

View Full Version : Looks like another long Lacrosse preemption

Pages : 1 [2]

ZYanksRule
03-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Let me ask another question. Say this BC/Air Force game goes to OT. Should they leave that game as it goes to OT to go to the Union game? Certainly there's a lot of fans of those two teams that are going to want to watch that game over the BC/Air Force game.

After all, that game is more important. It's for the Frozen 4. The BC/Air Force game is only for the right to play for the Frozen 4.

ScoobyDoo
03-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Let me ask another question. Say this BC/Air Force game goes to OT. Should they leave that game as it goes to OT to go to the Union game? Certainly there's a lot of fans of those two teams that are going to want to watch that game over the BC/Air Force game.

After all, that game is more important. It's for the Frozen 4. The BC/Air Force game is only for the right to play for the Frozen 4.

You're grasping at straws. ESPN hates hockey. This is how they take a dump all over it. Find somebody who cares about hockey to broadcast it.

ZYanksRule
03-24-2012, 04:32 PM
You're grasping at straws. ESPN hates hockey. This is how they take a dump all over it. Find somebody who cares about hockey to broadcast it.

Because ESPN hates hockey, a lacrosse game went into OT? They're broadcasting over 7 hours of college hockey today, both on TV AND internet. How many of our schools provide video for free over the internet? ESPN is providing free internet video of the NCAA Tournament. I don't mean to sound like an ESPN apologist, but this bashing is pretty unfair.

Oh, and 5 hours of hockey yesterday, and another 5 hours tomorrow.

ScoobyDoo
03-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Because ESPN hates hockey, a lacrosse game went into OT? They're broadcasting over 7 hours of college hockey today, both on TV AND internet. How many of our schools provide video for free over the internet? ESPN is providing free internet video of the NCAA Tournament. I don't mean to sound like an ESPN apologist, but this bashing is pretty unfair.

And the only way to see the Minnesota game live on an ESPN channel this afternoon is on the Internet. The Hockey tournament is on ESPNU. Their LEAST carried network.

HockeyMan2000
03-24-2012, 04:35 PM

And yet somehow they manage to broadcast all of the Men's Lacrosse tournament live...same amount of teams, same amount of games...none of them relegated to ESPN3 only or syndicated status:

http://www.bcinterruption.com/2012/3/23/2897376/2012-ncaa-hockey-tournament-bracket-getting-more-games-on-tv-espnu-espn3

This sport deserves at least the same kind of coverage IMO as Men's Lax. Granted, the way the regionals are structured doesn't make it easy, but still...the fact is that Men's Lax gets televised in its entirety and I can't imagine it's THAT much of a larger ratings draw.

ScoobyDoo
03-24-2012, 04:36 PM
And yet somehow they manage to broadcast all of the Men's Lacrosse tournament live...same amount of teams, same amount of games...none of them relegated to ESPN3 only or syndicated status:

http://www.bcinterruption.com/2012/3/23/2897376/2012-ncaa-hockey-tournament-bracket-getting-more-games-on-tv-espnu-espn3

This sport deserves at least the same kind of coverage IMO as Men's Lax. Granted, the way the regionals are structured doesn't make it easy, but still...the fact is that Men's Lax gets televised in its entirety and I can't imagine it's THAT much of a larger ratings draw.

Exactly. They hate hockey. They use their fourth rate station/channel for the first round and they don't care if all the games are on live or not.

billmich88888
03-24-2012, 04:38 PM
And the only way to see the Minnesota game live on an ESPN channel this afternoon is on the Internet. The Hockey tournament is on ESPNU. Their LEAST carried network.

Incorrect. That honor now goes to ESPN classic

Dirty
03-24-2012, 04:41 PM
At least the games aren't on ESPN Deportes yet.

HockeyMan2000
03-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Exactly. They hate hockey. They use their fourth rate station/channel for the first round and they don't care if all the games are on live or not.

I do think it has something to do with it. Hockey is no longer on their radar (see how much Sportscenter coverage the NHL gets versus the NBA -- you'd think the NBA is as important as the NFL and we all know it's not) and they tend to promote only the sports they have broadcast rights to. This is the only hockey they show on ESPN now and the fact that they are reducing the coverage of it -- again, moving the selection show to ESPNU, moving one of the FF semis to ESPNU, moving the final off ESPN itself -- is evidence of that.

ZYanksRule
03-24-2012, 04:45 PM

I am absolutely NOT arguing with the relegation of hockey on ESPN. It's ridiculous how they undervalue the sport, both at the professional and college level. Typical ESPN, though. They don't have a contract with the professional sport, they're not televising it. They claim to be a sports-news station, but they really are anything but. It's shameful.

All I'm saying is, it's not some diabolical thing that preempted the start of the first period today, just an unlucky bounce. Next Saturday, ESPNU is airing 11 hours straight of live college sports (12pm-11pm), including lacrosse, baseball, softball, and fencing. Surely, someone's game is going to be joined in progress. And it won't be some diabolical scheme. Just the way live sports TV is, unfortunately.

ScoobyDoo
03-24-2012, 04:56 PM
I am absolutely NOT arguing with the relegation of hockey on ESPN. It's ridiculous how they undervalue the sport, both at the professional and college level. Typical ESPN, though. They don't have a contract with the professional sport, they're not televising it. They claim to be a sports-news station, but they really are anything but. It's shameful.

All I'm saying is, it's not some diabolical thing that preempted the start of the first period today, just an unlucky bounce. Next Saturday, ESPNU is airing 11 hours straight of live college sports (12pm-11pm), including lacrosse, baseball, softball, and fencing. Surely, someone's game is going to be joined in progress. And it won't be some diabolical scheme. Just the way live sports TV is, unfortunately.

They have no problem making sure all the Lacrosse playoff games get aired. Stop being an ESPN apologist.