CCHA has a rough night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCHA has a rough night

Other then Ferris State, the CCHA had a really tough night. MSU, as a 4 seed, plays Union tough, but gets a tough disallowed goal call and never quite recovers. Miami makes a great comeback from 3 down in the third, but cannot convert on a 5 min power play that runs into OT, and loses. Mich has multiple PP's, as well as 2 5 on 3's, but only gives up a short handed goal, which eventually leads to Cornell winning in OT. So, CCHA goes 1-3 tonight, with only Western and Ferris still alive.
    Infrequent poster, frequent reader.

Re: CCHA has a rough night

And Western is quite likely to have a bad day tomorrow. The ------------- are hot at the moment.

Comment

I thought Western was seeded in the toughest regional, the way things went for those who I thought had it easy maybe they'll actually do the best?

Comment

Cup
        Cake
        Hockey
        Association
        Originally posted by SJHovey
        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
        Originally posted by Brenthoven
        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Still proud to be a Wolverine, even though...
          Originally posted by alfablue
          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

The results indicated to me that the PWR is crap. Michigan #2 in the country? Right (haha). 5 teams from the CCHA? Don't think so.

My Sioux might come down to earth with a thud today but WMU is conference champ for a reason. These two teams are playing good hockey right now. Who knows which Minnesota team will show up.

Yes, a very bad day for the CCHA.
            A Fan of the UND Fighting Sioux!! Sioux the NCAA!

Comment

Pair wise nothing!! Kratch my a s s!!
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

After the first round of play, it is entirely possible that 4 of the 5 CCHA teams will have been knocked out of the NCAA tournament (If N. Dakota beats W. Michigan). In a one game single elimination anything can happen and single game elimination does not select the top team. (Lehigh beat Duke in Basketball) It does favor teams with lots of depth and very strong defenses and goalies. Last year most of HE got knocked out in the first round and the ECAC was 1-3 for the whole tournament. However, somethings can fall under the radar. The competition in the ECAC was fierce this year and anyone who saw Cornell play knew they were loaded with size and talent. So was Harvard. Cornell has a great goalie. The CCHA has great teams and great players and does not need to make excuses. PWR has problems but it far superior to any subjective evaluation or "spin factor" in deciding which bubble team makes it. Union (who also beat Michigan 6-3 this year) totally outplayed MSU and deserved the win. It will be very interesting to see who is still standing after today. Expect more upsets.
                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                  ..... Union (who also beat Michigan 6-3 this year) totally outplayed MSU and deserved the win. .......
                  WHAT??? Not sure what game you were watching but MSU controlled many minutes of that game and without Grosnicks outstanding play might not have been moving on. Union deserved the win and as an ECAC fan I am rooting for them. But totally outplayed MSU. Come on. Clean off those Garnet colored glasses.
                  Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                  And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                  WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                  If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

The ironic thing is if you look around, I bet at least half the CCHA fans on here are glad at the teams that lost. There's very, very little "Yay Conference" in this league. I feel a bit of kinship with Miami and BG because of other sports, but other than that, it's a whole lot of shrug at best. I did a celebratory shot when UMD beat Michigan last year. So much for conference pride.
                    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                      The ironic thing is if you look around, I bet at least half the CCHA fans on here are glad at the teams that lost. There's very, very little "Yay Conference" in this league. I feel a bit of kinship with Miami and BG because of other sports, but other than that, it's a whole lot of shrug at best. I did a celebratory shot when UMD beat Michigan last year. So much for conference pride.
                      If you're at St. Paulie, make a little extra noise for the Broncos today and get them a win! I will have two in WMU garb there making noise with you. Let's hope momentum from the Mason Cup run continues...and that Friday's trend of the "marquis teams" with the high number of NHL picks and potential early exiting players take a pill in their opening games. Any idea on the status of the "walking wounded" for WMU?

Comment

CCHA to HE is like comparing AHL to the NHL.....its an annual ritual

Comment

What's this CCHA talk? All I know is the B1G lost twice (Michigan, Michigan State) and the NCHC lost twice (Miami, Denver). The New WCHA was rolling with Ferris State tho...
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

This was a year of unusual parity, even by CCHA standards. The CCHA had lots of very good teams, but no truly great teams. Lots of teams capable of clearing the lower bar -- making the tournament. But perhaps no team that would be a clear favorite for the Frozen Four. And the results so far seem to be playing out that way.

If conference winning percentage really matters, a better formula would be as follows: A couple of dominant teams earn top seeds, everyone else fails to qualify for the tournament. And yet it's tough to argue that result would prove "conference supremacy."

Getting lots of teams into the field AND having a high winning percentage = bragging rights. Note that the 2005 WCHA accomplished that. But my sense is that's been relatively rare. Still, the 2005 WCHA proved it can be done...

Comment

Western is having thier problems with UND.
                              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Working...
                              X