X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Niagara drops women's hockey!!

Just like Wayne State??

Re: Niagara drops women's hockey!!

Since there was no link to a news story in this thread, here's one: http://www.chawomenshockey.com/news/...en-sice_Hockey. So now the CHA is back down to four again?

Comment

Well, Lindenwood, Penn St. and RIT are all on the way to CHA, so it would put them at 6 teams, with RIT playing as an independent next season with membership being granted in 2013-2014 unless in light of this news CHA waives the rule and grants all immediate membership so as to secure an autobid.
      Skate every shift like its your last

Comment

Lindenwood will be in next year, along with Penn State? That's good--lose one, but gain three. I guess that's some kind of progress.

Comment

All things considered, still crappy news. Have to feel for the players there, and the staff. Hope all players wanting to continue to play college hockey can find a way.
          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

That's horrible. We've got to do something about this steady drip-drip-drip. We take one step forward and one step back.

What is it that's making these schools drop hockey -- in favor of track and field, no less?

Powers &8^]

Comment

How would that affect players that signed NLI's in November?
              ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

My daughter played for Niagara. She's royally bummed but she played every game of her four years, and graduates in May.

It's all about money. Read the announcement. It's also on the NU athletics web site (www.purpleeagles.com). You can buy a lot of track shoes for the cost of one hockey player's gear (and NU didn't provide skates for the women). I think they'll have to build a track - that's likely why the track team won't be starting until 2013-14.

Comment

Here's mine: http://www.uscho.com/2012/03/19/one-...one-step-back/
                  "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
                    How would that affect players that signed NLI's in November?
                    My understanding is players that signed NLI's in November (total of 2) are basically free agents now, open to pursue other offers -they are also eligible to remain at Niagara, if they wish, to complete their course of study for the next 4 years as their full signed athletic scholarships remain in effect (although not playing hockey).

Comment

Originally posted by PrincetonFan View Post
                      Since there was no link to a news story in this thread, here's one: http://www.chawomenshockey.com/news/...en-sice_Hockey. So now the CHA is back down to four again?
                      Five

Mercyhurst, Robert Morris, Syracuse all remain (as of today's news, at least, ugh!)

Add Lindenwood and Penn State
                      Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

I think this shows how awful the ncaa policy is not to grant an autobid waiver to the CHA. Tragic only 1 of the 4 original members hassurvived.

Comment

If I were them I'd get the autobid ASAP.

Originally posted by WestsideTigersFan View Post
                          Well, Lindenwood, Penn St. and RIT are all on the way to CHA, so it would put them at 6 teams, with RIT playing as an independent next season with membership being granted in 2013-2014 unless in light of this news CHA waives the rule and grants all immediate membership so as to secure an autobid.

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
                            I think this shows how awful the ncaa policy is not to grant an autobid waiver to the CHA. Tragic only 1 of the 4 original members has survived.
                            Would more have survived if the CHA had an auto bid? That's hard to say without knowing the specifics within an athletic department, but that conclusion seems like a reach. This is the first season that a CHA auto bid would have even come into play, and I'm willing to bet that a committee would have hashed it out to be Robert Morris instead of Mercyhurst, not in addition to the Lakers, given the Mercyhurst and North Dakota comparison was so close.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

This is a sad day for all Women's NCAA Hockey. Niagara Purple Eagles program was growing stronger than ever. Outstanding facility as well
                              Hurst Fan for life but but this loss hurts

Comment

Working...
                              X