PC Hockey.....continues to grow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Hockey.....continues to grow

Now that the season is over and a new group of seniors take the lead I can't wait to see the results they and the new recruits take this reborn program.....onward and upward.....go Friars

Re: PC Hockey.....continues to grow

Considering both aspects of coaching - bench coaching and recruiting - I think Union's seeding as No. 1 in the NCAA Eastern Regionals is telling. Leaman did such a great job at Union that their program continued to grow even after his departure. I think it's safe to say he knows how to find talent and develop it as well. I'm looking forward to next year's edition. As I said in another forum, it will be tough to break into the HE top four group with the strength of this league and the presence of such teams as BC, BU, Maine, UNH, etc. but I can see moving up one or two notches next year.

Comment

UNH will beat themselves as they always do

Comment

Well the off-season kicks off with another recruit - for next season.

Will Goss a 6'5" 204lb D-man from Wellesley Mass who played at Phillips Exeter (where he was a co-captain) this year. He played with Kevin Hart's brother Brian who is a top NHL prospect. Even with playing with a top player in Hart, Goss managed to have a 5-29-34 scoring line in 30 games. He is a 1992 birthdate, and a bit of a late bloomer, as he went pretty much under the radar at Wellesley high before he went to Exeter. He was also recruited by Brown, and BC had offered him a chance to be a walk-on a few months ago. If he continues to develop and grow into that 6'5" frame - could be a real steal for the Friars.

This makes 3 new D-men next year (Parisi, Abramson, Goss) - maybe 4 if John Gilmour comes next year too, instead of 2013.
        Last edited by chrisP; 03-21-2012, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mvfriar View Post
          Considering both aspects of coaching - bench coaching and recruiting - I think Union's seeding as No. 1 in the NCAA Eastern Regionals is telling. Leaman did such a great job at Union that their program continued to grow even after his departure. I think it's safe to say he knows how to find talent and develop it as well. I'm looking forward to next year's edition. As I said in another forum, it will be tough to break into the HE top four group with the strength of this league and the presence of such teams as BC, BU, Maine, UNH, etc. but I can see moving up one or two notches next year.
          A few random thoughts

1. I don't think this roster will be a done deal till just before school begins. Remember last year he brought 6 players. Montesano, Demopolous, Mauerman, Brown + LaPlante and Murphy. At this point a year ago he wasn't even hired. Now maybe the need for depth isn't as big but there are still holes to be filled and if he can improve/upgrade I think he will.

2. the recruiting aspect of coaching you are correct he did prove himself. Short notice and 3 of the 4 forwards he grabbed played valuable roles. I also think that grabbing Drew Brown was a unique opportunity (had been looked at by Army, had his prep linemate coming to PC, and had a relationship with Leaman and Barr from originally headed to Union) finding a player of Brown's ability/upside this late is difficult When all is said and done he will be the best of the first group Leaman brought in.

3. Jon asked on the other string. Beaudry's heir apparent is Jullien LaPlante. He did not play this past season because of being ineligible for playing a period of major junior hockey. He last played at Bonneyville in the AJHL. I can't put his numbers there in any perspective but off the top of my head he was something like 28-13-9 a 2.09 gaa and a .925 gaa. Different junior leagues but those numbers are better than what Beaudry had from his junior days in Ontario. While you don't know how numbers will translate to college I have heard there is a belief we will not get the 3 years from him, that he is here to prove himself on a higher level then he goes pro. Which is fine Leaman did not seem concerned at Union when he lost Kincaid and had LaPlante lined up to be his goalie this year before the eligibility issue cropped up. Here he has a kid named Ellis from Prep lined up and I've heard good things about him. The backup will be Wells who ironically replaced LaPlante at bonneyville

3. You mention development in your post but I do think considering how flawed our defense was at the start of the year Leaman did a real good job getting the most mileage out of them. The back 4 who dressed all showed improvement as the year went on. Velischek had some important minutes in the playoffs and did not look out of place (though I'd seriously consider him to replace Dave Brown as the 4th line center with experience and defensive ability--an upgrade since he can shoot a bit). Kaib began to look like a freshman who had developed by year end. Shamanski actually does a lot of good things. Hart showed a pretty good ability to be part of the offense. You need to pair him with the right guy since I think he still lacks a little speed defensively

4. I actually have heard Gilmour is to come in the fall also. I guess that makes you question what will be done with Adams and Wyszomski. Both have scholarships that I'd bet Leaman really had to resdistribute. Still unlike the bball coach it is much more difficult to squeeze a player out in hockey. I also suspect Buffalo isn't going to bail us out. Other thoughts are that if Harvey has any notion of playing pros he has to do it now.as he is already 23 going on 24. The other thought is Abrahamson suffered a hp injury and missed most of his season. remember you are losing only Velischek and Harvey from the defense after '13 and technically he already has commitments from Reed and Florentino to replace them and money is very tight.

5. I think we won't see all the forwards you see listed. I do think they badly want Jankowski to come next year. Heard rumblings they fear him going major juniors so better to get him in. Again money is the issue. It really is why I suspect Schaller will go pro. Leaman had planned for that. Norris' name is still there but Army promised him a full boat and there just is no money for that

6. would have been an interesting year if we had Luke the full year and Accairi as Army had planned. A little more offensive potential, a little more depth
          Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

I know Bennett is the coach of Union but the foundation and first floor were built by Leaman so I know we are in for one heck of a ride......and they did that with no scholarships !!!!!!!!!

Comment

So true, watching that union team the last 2 days was so encouraging for me. That team is big and strong, they have scorers that can fill the net and defense who can just shut you down. Their goaltender is one of the elite in the ncaa. What can Nate do in Hockey East with the luxury of scholarships? You have to believe this program is going to be a desirable location for top recruits in the near future. Looking forward to that!
              Originally posted by satyking View Post
              I know Bennett is the coach of Union but the foundation and first floor were built by Leaman so I know we are in for one heck of a ride......and they did that with no scholarships !!!!!!!!!

Comment

Posted in the old thread before I saw this one:

Before closing out this thread, wanted to invite friar hockey fans to a new free Friar Forum board just starting up. There are separate forums for men's basketball, men's hockey, and other PC sports. Check it out:http://www.friartownhoops.proboards.com/index.cgi
                All things Providence College for those interested. Check it out.
                Last edited by 73PCFriar; 03-26-2012, 08:32 PM.

Comment

I tried, but the link didn't work.
                  Providence College
                  National Champions

Save the Fighting Sioux!!

Comment

Ok, fixed the link in prior post, try it again. Somehow html got messed up

Comment

For those interested in some more info on incoming recruits:

Mark Jankowski has really turned into a hot property. He was the star of the latest Beantown classic, and in the latest mock NHL draft put together by NHL expert Craig Button - he's listed as a first rounder (ranked #23) Believe PC has not had a 1st rounder since Joe Hulbig in the early 90's. Would be nice - would even be nicer if he sticks around for a while. Link to mock draft below:

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

As stated in some other posts, it's been a rough year for D recruit Ori Abramson - hip injury and mono. He may be a bit of a project, but it sounds like in the below article, he has really worked hard at getting better.

http://www.cjnews.com/node/89474

Paul De Jersey was named the MVP of his junior league (BCHL). He's big and can really score, hope his skills can translate to Hockey East. Looking forward to seeing him and Jankowski playing for the Friars next year. Below link is a video interview with him where he talks about PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i5KqBQ70Cs
                      Last edited by chrisP; 03-26-2012, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Latest recruit, from north of the border...

Forward Steve McParland...committed Monday

Top scorer for his Kingston Voyagers, ehhh?

Vees star heading south

“He's not going to go in there relying on pure skill. The biggest attributes he has are his intensity and work ethic. Whether he's on the second or fourth line, he's going to bring that.”

Comment

Re: Latest recruit, from north of the border...

Originally posted by mvfriar View Post
                          Forward Steve McParland...committed Monday

Top scorer for his Kingston Voyagers, ehhh?

Vees star heading south

“He's not going to go in there relying on pure skill. The biggest attributes he has are his intensity and work ethic. Whether he's on the second or fourth line, he's going to bring that.”
                          Thanks mv - also saw this piece on McParland from his team's website:

http://www.kingstonvoyageurs.on.ca/

Front page of the teams site mentions that he earned a scholarship to PC - Coaching staff must think highly of him to allot him scholarship $ at this point. I know adding depth is a big must for the staff for the future. Have a lot of forwards coming in next year - Jankowski, De Jersey, Norris, Sacrino, Tanev and McParland (plus Acciari and Murphy who sat this year.) Have to believe not everyone will be back from this years team...

Comment

Originally posted by chrisP View Post
                            For those interested in some more info on incoming recruits:

Paul De Jersey was named the MVP of his junior league (BCHL). He's big and can really score, hope his skills can translate to Hockey East. Looking forward to seeing him and Jankowski playing for the Friars next year. Below link is a video interview with him where he talks about PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i5KqBQ70Cs
                            The leading scorers from the BCJHL in recent years have been a mixed lot, especially those who have suddenly "blossomed".

Carlo Finnucci at AK Fairbanks did very little (18 goals) during the past 4 years, Mitch McMillan scored 60 goals in 59 games for Port Alberni. At St. Cloud St., he scored 7 goals in 42 games and was often a healthy scratch until he decided to transfer to NoDak where he thinks he can play with his younger brother. This year RIT had Brad McGowen, who had 89 pts with Surrey in 2010-11. He went 9-9-18 as a freshman in what is arguably a weaker league. Statistics from BC can be deceiving, especially the assists. Hopefully things will work out with DeJersey - if not immediately - over his caree at PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post
                              The leading scorers from the BCJHL in recent years have been a mixed lot, especially those who have suddenly "blossomed".
                              We have our own examples we know this is very true. Different league but we are still waiting for Damian Cross to put up numbers and we all know he won't do what he did in juniors. More to your point is Chris Eppich just 17 points in 4 years and he had 90+ points his last BCHL year. Like DerJersey he came in older and he actually wasn't a guy who just had one big year he did it for 2 years in that league. Kremyr did not score as much in the BCHL but he gave us but 27 points though he was pretty good in the corners. I guess if DeJersey (and Tanev) produce less than that they were mistakes. In DeJersey's case I would hope he at least mimics Kyle McKinnon who had a 71 point career. One difference is that Kyle came in as a 19 year old.

With at least for the time Schaller staying if I could pick the four lines to put out opening night next October this is what I would have them look like this: I'd replace Bergland on the first line with Acciari since he has played with Drew Brown in prep and that combo worked well. I think that would mean he would need to play off wing but it would set him up to move to center the next year and inherit Rufo as the 3rd member of the line: Acciari-Schaller-D. Brown 2nd line would remain Demopoulous-Mauerman-Luke a combo that looked good when Schaller was available in the 2nd half of the year. 3rd line I move Rooney up to left wing from 4th line to join Army and Cross. I make my 4th line 3 freshman Saracino-Jankowski-DeJersey. I really doubt you leave Jankowski on 4th line very long but it is a nice way to let him break into college hockey. That leaves about 6 guys to push them for playing time.

Again with Schaller coming back, the quaterfinal upset, and our move up last year it most likely means we will get picked to finish in the middle of the pack next year . That certainly is going to show us how good a teacher Leaman is as it will be a lot harder to do it with smoke and mirrors next year. If you look at the numbers we are still bottom end in the 3 key areas goal, defense and offense. No one will say we have a strong defensive corps but I do think this is the good sign. It might have taken most of the year but by the playoffs it seemed they adapted to playing his scheme. Now if he so choses (or no one steps up to take their place) he has 5 of those guys back on the blue line. Also Tom Parisi is coming in with a better resume than most of the guys we have.

I have said it before but again Beaudry might have gotten a lot of credit but he was way too inconsistent and when you put his numbers up against his counterparts in the league he ranks near the bottom. I truly believe this is the area we have the best chance to improve greatly. If (when) LaPlante shakes the rust I think his background suggests he is more capable of putting up the numbers you need from a goaltender to carry a team rule of thumb you need your goalie to have a .920-.925 save percent (which is just about the range the Fr-So version of Goepfert did for us)

Offensively we went from pathetic to poor overall. The good news is that this team was a totally different team with Schaller in the lineup as the playoffs proved where we showed life after looking totally dead with Schaller out. The other good point it Schaller really didn't directly contribute to that offense just his presence allowed things to unfold. I think we are looking to replace 18 goals from the departed seniors. Last years 4 real freshman (Demo, mauerman, Brown and Luke) scored 27. think what 9 key goals could mean and that is not counting on things like a healthy Schaller truly blossoming, Luke available for the full year or younger forwards really stepping up as they approach being the physical equal of the 21 year old freshman). I certainly don't want to get in a shootout with BC but our offense should move from being bottom end to middle of the pack
                              Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Working...
                              X