Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: College Hockey's Playoff Problem.

Originally posted by Alton View Post
    Here is what the tournament would look like this year using the hockey selection & seeding rules but the lacrosse tournament format and rules for pairing teams:

FIRST ROUND: Friday, Saturday or Sunday, March 23, 24 or 25
    Cornell at #1 Boston College
    Air Force at #2 Michigan
    Massachusetts-Lowell at #3 Union
    Michigan State at #4 North Dakota
    Denver at #5 Miami
    Maine at #6 Ferris State
    Western Michigan at #7 Minnesota-Duluth
    Boston University at #8 Minnesota

EAST QUARTERFINALS: Saturday, March 31, at Manchester, NH
    #1 Boston College/Cornell winner v #8 Minnesota/Boston University winner
    #3 Union/Massachusetts-Lowell winner v #6 Ferris State/Maine winner

WEST QUARTERFINALS: Sunday, April 1, at Milwaukee, WI
    #2 Michigan/Air Force winner v #7 Minnesota-Duluth/Western Michigan winner
    #4 North Dakota/Michigan State winner v #5 Miami/Denver winner
    so close, Michigan State would not be AT North Dakota because North Dakota is not allowed to host NCAA playoff games as long as "SIOUX" is their nickname.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      so close, Michigan State would not be AT North Dakota because North Dakota is not allowed to host NCAA playoff games as long as "SIOUX" is their nickname.
      Ah, yes...good point. That one would be #4 North Dakota at Michigan State.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
        Good breakdown of possible cities. By all means, lets go to New York
        Between the Knicks and the Rangers you can forget about MSG ever holding a Frozen Four -- not to mention the city itself could care less with the million other things going on there. As for the expense -- every aspect of fan cost would be exponentially greater from food to lodging, difficulty in getting around, etc. It's never going to happen.

Comment

Ah, yes...good point. That one would be #4 North Dakota at Michigan State.
          Hadn't thought of that. Preventing North Dakota from rightfully hosting a hockey tournament game would certainly add weight to the NCAA's argument.
          Jesus Saves

Comment

put first two rounds back on campus sites and make it two game total goal, or best of three, whatever. that is eight rinks that have a chance to be filled (revenue) and more games to see / be seen.

FIRST ROUND 2 game total goal
            afa @ bc (air force can fly themselves )
            msu @ michigan (same conf, so what)
            lowell @ union
            western @ sioux
            cornell @ miami (drivable)
            denver @ ferris (denver far from everyone)
            maine @ duluth (maine travels well! )
            bu @ gophs (going anyways - my idea so i can't play favorites)

2ND ROUND Best of 3
            gophs at bc
            duluth at michigan
            ferris @ union
            miami @ siou...er, they can't host an ncaa game since they are offensive -- so sioux @ miami.

then the winners go to tampa.

more games. bigger crowds at home on campus (spring break is done now).

i liked the 2 games total goals on campus. college hockey aint big enough for regionals like this. sorry
            or have 'east' sites and 'west' sites so it is easier to get to. tough on short notice to get halfway across the country. when we found out bu was going to st paul, flights were $700 since it was under the 7 day dealy.. i have miles so it was easy for me to 'spend' the 25,000 to fly (and the marriott points for free rooms for two nights) - but if i had to pay out that i don't think i would.
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              put first two rounds back on campus sites and make it two game total goal, or best of three, whatever. that is eight rinks that have a chance to be filled (revenue) and more games to see / be seen.

FIRST ROUND 2 game total goal
              afa @ bc (air force can fly themselves )
              msu @ michigan (same conf, so what)
              lowell @ union
              western @ sioux
              cornell @ miami (drivable)
              denver @ ferris (denver far from everyone)
              maine @ duluth (maine travels well! )
              bu @ gophs (going anyways - my idea so i can't play favorites)

2ND ROUND Best of 3
              gophs at bc
              duluth at michigan
              ferris @ union
              miami @ siou...er, they can't host an ncaa game since they are offensive -- so sioux @ miami.

then the winners go to tampa.

more games. bigger crowds at home on campus (spring break is done now).

i liked the 2 games total goals on campus. college hockey aint big enough for regionals like this. sorry
              or have 'east' sites and 'west' sites so it is easier to get to. tough on short notice to get halfway across the country. when we found out bu was going to st paul, flights were $700 since it was under the 7 day dealy.. i have miles so it was easy for me to 'spend' the 25,000 to fly (and the marriott points for free rooms for two nights) - but if i had to pay out that i don't think i would.
              I'm sorry, I stopped reading immediately after 2 game total goals was proposed as any type of relevant solution...

Comment

The people whipping out the multiple game 1st rounds are going to drive me up a wall. Only in a NCAA sport would you have the early rounds be best of series and then as (presumably) the elite teams advance, you suddenly go to single game elimination to bring as much possible luck and chaos into the formula. Even the NCAA figured this out when they made the final in the CWS a best of 3.

Going back to home ice for the higher seed isn't a panacea either. With the volatility of the Pairwise, there were maybe 4 schools that knew going into the final weekend that they would be top 8 and host a series. So, you're expecting 8-24 sellouts from 4-5 days of selling tickets on short notice at an elevated price ($40-50?) point compared to regular season for every school, grossly so in the case of some schools as the NCAA sucks as much cash as they can out? Good luck with that.

I honestly wonder if they couldn't add ~20% on their current sales right now simply by moving the regionals to the "bye" weekend. The Frozen Four is close to a sellout regardless, giving people 10 days instead of 3 to try to get tickets and accommodations worked out couldn't hurt.
                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

I shall propose a totally out of the normal idea, one that I don't think has been tried in hockey, ever. First, my reason for this idea:
                  1) It is obvious the NCAA greatly prefers single elimination tourneys, so I don't think a 2 out of 3 has a chance of getting in.
                  2) In baseball, the have double elimination.

So, I propose something like this:
                  2 sites : East, West. 2 Weekends. Double Elimination, with a slight modification, so all games are guaranteed to be played.

First week: Teams 1,8,9,16; 4,5,12,13 or some reasonable facsimile of that (by which I mean cut down travel as much as possible):
                  Friday Eve: 1/16 (Game 1); 8/9(Game 2) Sat PM : 4/13(Game 3); 5/12(Game 4)
                  Sat Eve : Winners from Friday(Gm 5), Losers from Friday(Gm 6) Sun PM: Winners from Sat Eve(Gm 7), Losers from Sat Eve(Gm 8).

Second week: Friday Eve: Winner 6 v Loser 7 (Call this Game 9); Winner 8 v Loser 9 (Game 10)
                  Sat Eve : Winner 5 v Winner 6 (Winner of this game advances to Frozen 4) (This would be Game 11); Winner 9 v Winner 10 (Game 12)
                  Sun PM : Winner 12 v Loser 11 (Winner of this game advances to Frozen 4)

And, the same at the other site.

Frozen Four would be Fri/Sun, and the Semis would be Winner 11 (undefeated) from one region v Winner 13 (one-loss team) from the other region.

So, this system means that the first week, all teams get 2 games, with only one overnight stay. That's better for fans. It means that one lucky goal or one hot game by a goal tender won't eliminate you. And, the 2nd week, all 5 games have a direct reward or disappointment to their result. That is, if you lose you go home, except one game in which if you win, you go to the Frozen 4.

And, if you want to, you could have week 2 at a different site than week 1. So, this year, the first week plays at Bridgeport, the 2nd at Worcester in the east. In the west, first week at Green Bay, 2nd at St Paul. If you want to.

I know it is out of the ordinary, but what do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                    I know it is out of the ordinary, but what do you think?
                    Kudos for thinking outside of the box, but...

(1) a quadruple-header on Saturday the first weekend? What are the game times, noon-3:15-6:30-9:45? 10am-1:15-4:30-7:45? What if there is a double-overtime game?
                    (2) why would I travel to that first weekend? You're just playing for seeding, and to eliminate 2 of the 8 teams.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

Comment

Kudos for thinking outside of the box, but...

(1) a quadruple-header on Saturday the first weekend? What are the game times, noon-3:15-6:30-9:45? 10am-1:15-4:30-7:45? What if there is a double-overtime game?
                      (2) why would I travel to that first weekend? You're just playing for seeding, and to eliminate 2 of the 8 teams.
                      Alton, these are good questions:
                      To answer #2 first: Do you ever travel when your team is on the road during the year? If so, why? There is nothing at stake, but your team is playing 2 games. Here at least we have something at stake.

Now, to #1. This the format here in Minnesota for the High School State Tournament every year (Or at least it has been. I haven't watched closely lately. Come to think of it, I think they do it twice every year, once for each class on Wed and Thurs). Only difference between that and this idea is that the high schoolers play 17 minute periods. Double or Triple overtime game? What happened last weekend at the 2 conference tourneys that had them?

I don't know the details, but I would propose 12 and 30 minutes after the first game, and 6:30 and 30 minutes later.

I am not meaning to defend my idea, rather I mean to fill in details. I hadn't thought of the Sat quad as being a problem, because, like I said, I have seen it happen many times.
                      Last edited by Numbers; 03-19-2012, 09:49 PM. Reason: Detail about Mn HS tourney

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                        Alton, these are good questions:
                        To answer #2 first: Do you ever travel when your team is on the road during the year?
                        Yes, of course. But why am I traveling to these games? Isn't that the problem we are trying to solve--not enough people have a desire to go to the regionals. Making them less relevant seems like it's not much of a solution. If I want to see my team advance to Tampa, I go to the second weekend, but I can skip the first weekend (and if they're in the losers bracket after the first weekend, maybe I'm not as interested in going to the second weekend). People are not interested in attending the regionals now. That's the problem. The solution is to make the regionals something that people will want to attend. More hockey isn't going to do that, except among the hardest core of fandom like you and me.

Double or Triple overtime game? What happened last weekend at the 2 conference tourneys that had them?
                        What happened, I imagine, is that the session ended over an hour after they thought it would. You can't start a game 30 minutes after the last game ended: this isn't high school. You need to resurface (15 minutes), have practice/warmups (15 minutes, starting with 38 minutes on the countdown clock), resurface (15 minutes, starting with 23 minutes on the clock), have introductions (teams come out with 8 minutes on the clock). Don't suggest that teams warm up on the old ice from the previous game--that's a non-starter for safety reasons. With the extra TV timeouts, regulation games are about 2:25 in the NCAA playoffs, so that's a minimum of 3:18 between start times. Without overtime.

So game 4 will end 12 hours and 19 minutes after game 1 starts. Without overtime. Each overtime session will add between 16 and 55 minutes to the day.

Comment

Alton, There is one other option for the Saturday Quad-header. It would be to have the Friday winners play on Sunday, rather than Sautyrday, so you have triple headers on Sat and Sun. But, that's not so nice for the fans of those teams, because they have an extra days' stay, and they don't know that ahead of time.

Comment

No matter how you slice it, 8 games in 3 days is a lot of hockey. More hockey than almost anybody would want to attend, especially if there is no winner crowned at the end.

I would enjoy the heck out of it, and so would the other 100 or so people who show up for all 8 games, but I'm not sure it's a solution to our problem.

Comment

Yes, of course. But why am I traveling to these games? Isn't that the problem we are trying to solve--not enough people have a desire to go to the regionals. Making them less relevant seems like it's not much of a solution. If I want to see my team advance to Tampa, I go to the second weekend, but I can skip the first weekend (and if they're in the losers bracket after the first weekend, maybe I'm not as interested in going to the second weekend). People are not interested in attending the regionals now. That's the problem. The solution is to make the regionals something that people will want to attend. More hockey isn't going to do that, except among the hardest core of fandom like you and me.
                              All good points in the above post, Alton. I see where you are coming from. I actually think there are 2 problems here, although one is not a huge practical problem, it is more of a perspective problem.

One problem is that hockey, by it's nature, is a game of good fortune. Crazy puck bounces, hot goaltenders, penalty calls (I am not balming the officials, rather, it's impossible in real time to do their job perfect. That's why we see what we call make-up calls). So, how 'fair' is it to award the most coveted championship to the team who wins 4 one-offs in a row? I think we often see NCAA tourneys in which, if we did it all again, there is a good chance the winner would go out in round one. Don Lucia said tonight on his show, that if we do these regionals over in another week, we likely get 4 different winners. So, that's what the double-elimination is addressing.

Of course, I understand, the more I think of it, that this is a solution in search of a problem. Most people are just fine with the single-elimination tourney, I suppose.

Now, a few more long winded comments. One argument about attendance would go like this: 8 teams at one regional maybe means more attendance. Of course, someone up thread mentioned that the trend seems to be that fewer and fewer attend the games that don't involve 'their' teams. Not much helps that.

And, thanks for filling me in on the between games protocol. I was not aware of it. My pocketbook does not allow me to attend games, you see. I have to be a seat of the pants fan.

Please continue. I enjoy everyone's thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                                Only in a NCAA sport would you have the early rounds be best of series and then as (presumably) the elite teams advance, you suddenly go to single game elimination to bring as much possible luck and chaos into the formula.
                                Only in NCAA... and in UEFA, whose (world famous, watched by 9 figures) Champions League final is the only single-elimination game of the entire tournament.

The reason people don't go to regionals isn't because of short notice. It's because they aren't close. Selling home games might be tough in a week, but selling distant regionals is even harder. I'm considering driving 5 hours to Green Bay, the closest Michigan plays to me all season, but for even the one day (Friday) I could go it is brutally expensive and my "reward" will be a dull arena atmosphere. The reason I'm even considering it is I have a chance to take my kids to their first Michigan game of any kind. Moving the regional back might make planning a bit easier but it won't change my mind.

Numbers, I appreciate creative and original thinking, but double-elimination is just not going to work. It is brutally complicated, which turns off fans. It is hard on facilities. It's simply not reasonable.
                                Jesus Saves

Comment

Working...
                                X