Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 West Regional: North Dakota vs Western Michigan; Minnesota vs Boston University

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 West Regional: North Dakota vs Western Michigan; Minnesota vs Boston Univers

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    I think blaming the North Stars departure on just the inadequacy of the arena is letting Norm Green and the Grunds off too easy. The league let the Grunds gut the team of their top prospects and players when they started the San Jose Sharks, and Norm Green was a pretty abrasive owner who was facing sexual harassment charges in Minnesota. Just an ugly situation all around.

You can see in the video that Norm had already branded the team for the move......removing North from the jerseys.

Comment

• Re: 2012 West Regional: North Dakota vs Western Michigan; Minnesota vs Boston Univers

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
      MavHockey14 admit that I wasn't trying to be funny and we are ok.
      You were fishing. Not trying to be funny. Sioux Yeah Yeah.
      Last edited by MavHockey14; 03-21-2012, 01:20 PM.
      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
        You were fishing. Not trying to be funny. Sioux Yeah Yeah.
        You are forgiven.
        "My greatest achievement."
        Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by mnpokecheck View Post
          You can see in the video that Norm had already branded the team for the move......removing North from the jerseys.
          Norm Green still s_cks.
          "...and that only took six seconds!"

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
            I think blaming the North Stars departure on just the inadequacy of the arena is letting Norm Green and the Grunds off too easy. The league let the Grunds gut the team of their top prospects and players when they started the San Jose Sharks, and Norm Green was a pretty abrasive owner who was facing sexual harassment charges in Minnesota. Just an ugly situation all around.

I had never seen this until now. That is undoubtedly five of the greatest minutes in youtube history. I don't even know where to start. With the guy who wished him "bad success" in Dallas or one of the guys at the end who appears to be wearing a stanley cup champions north stars hat.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
              Your team has been worse for years, and that didn't keep you away. Plus, even when his team is bad, Gurt is good.
              Minnesota has been mediocre, but worse than UW's team this season? Wishful thinking on your part. A 9th place finish in a 12 team league is roughly on par with finishing 7th-8th in a 10 team league.

Minnesota's bad seasons:
              '11: 5th
              '10: 7th
              '09: 5th
              '08: 7th - won first round series, finished runner-up to DU in F5, and made the NCAA's

Taking this analysis a step further, this season's UW team needed to win the F5 to make the NCAA's. Minnesota was a bubble team in '11 and in '09; simply advancing to the F5 might have been enough to get them in last year. Winning the play-in against Duluth certainly would have gotten them in back in '09 (when a razor-thin RPI advantage put OSU into the tournament for an inevitable drubbing by national champion BU).

I can't remember where they wound up in the pairwise in '10 - probably similar to where UW finished this season (3 game loss on the road in the first round as well).
              Last edited by Bakunin; 03-21-2012, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                Minnesota has been mediocre, but worse than UW's team this season? Wishful thinking on your part. A 9th place finish in a 12 team league is roughly on par with finishing 7th-8th in a 10 team league.

Minnesota's bad seasons:
                '11: 5th
                '10: 7th
                '09: 5th
                '08: 7th - won first round series, finished runner-up to DU in F5, and made the NCAA's

Taking this analysis a step further, this season's UW team needed to win the F5 to make the NCAA's. Minnesota was a bubble team in '11 and in '09; simply advancing to the F5 might have been enough to get them in last year. Winning the play-in against Duluth certainly would have gotten them in back in '09 (when a razor-thin RPI advantage put OSU into the tournament for an inevitable drubbing by national champion BU).

I can't remember where they wound up in the pairwise in '10 - probably similar to where UW finished this season (3 game loss on the road in the first round as well).

I appreciate Burd's support, but I'm never gonna get in an argument over which losing (or more importantly which NON-NCAA) team sucks harder. All 3 of our programs strive for the NCAA's at a minimum and 6th place is the same as 9th as far as I'm concerned. We didn't make the NCAA's = failure of a season. To me anyway.

I will agree with him however that I am great no matter what the Badgers do...

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                  Your team has been worse for years, and that didn't keep you away. Plus, even when his team is bad, Gurt is good.
                  "Worse for years"????

Really. Please show me the last time the Gophers finished 10th. And the WCHA, as a whole, was down this year.

Sorry, but it's been 30 years since the gophers were THAT bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstpusk View Post
                    Norm Green still s_cks.
                    I guess the move to Dallas wasn't as profitable a move as Norm expected.

Looks like the guy who once said "Only an idiot could lose money on hockey in Minnesota" was right about one thing. That he's an idiot.
                    Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 03-21-2012, 03:04 PM.
                    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                      ...I will agree with him however that I grate no matter what the Badgers do...
                      fyp.
                      "...and that only took six seconds!"

Comment

Some Whioux fans and their limo have been spotted driving down to the Twin Cities.

*****http://www.oddee.com/_media/imgs/articles2/a97266_g176_6-limo.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                          Some Whioux fans and their limo have been spotted driving down to the Twin Cities.

Fail

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post

there is a preview button... I suggest you use it if you do not know what you are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                              You see that big block letter M, and even a Sioux fan thinks back on those olden days when Minnesota was known for its excellent hockey.

Gopher hockey and Fran Tarkenton.
                              How times have changed. Yes back in 1980 Minnesota was known for excellent hockey. Since then the sport has grown. It's nice to have the Gophers around, however:

-- The best player development seems to be happening outside of Minnesota in juniors.

-- Youth hockey programs are developing players everywhere these days. There are now top tier youth hockey teams all across the country. I have lived in California since the mid 80's and have seen tremendous growth here.

-- Minnesota seems to barely support one NHL team. California has three NHL teams and all three teams are ahead of the Minnesota team in the standings and all three are very successful financially.

Last night I went to see the Kings/Sharks game and the place was filled (18,000 fans). Most noticable was the large number of youth hockey players at the game. Also in attandance at the game was the LA Selects Pee Wee team. The LA Selects had just won the legendary Quebec International Pee Wee Hockey Tournament. The tournament featured 110 teams from 14 countries and is considered the World Championships in Pee Wee hockey.

These 12 year old California born and raised "World Champions", will be playing junior hockey soon, and they will be getting college scholorship offers soon. Good thing the Fighting Sioux do have a recruiting pipeline to California. Do the Gophers recruit the best players from California?
                              Last edited by SoCalSiouxFan; 03-21-2012, 03:41 PM.
                              "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Technical difficulties aside, great ride for Whioux fans.

Comment

Working...
                                X