Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 West Regional: North Dakota vs Western Michigan; Minnesota vs Boston University

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 West Regional: North Dakota vs Western Michigan; Minnesota vs Boston Univers

Originally posted by Gphrpkhead View Post
    The Hansen reputation is known far and wide. Probably somewhere on par with the Adam, Shepherd(s), Anderson, Thul reputation in the WCHA. I thought that Benedetto was one of the higher ranking officials in HE. Wrong?
    He is, but he has his games where he'll call everything under the sun and blatantly ignore certain rules. For instance, in the QFs between Maine and Merrimack, he called 50 total penalties in one game, a new HE record. While it certainly was a physical game, about half of those calls were unnecessary. More unnerving, Joey Diamond was called TWICE for facemasking, which very clearly by rule is an automatic game DQ and one game suspension. He was not even thrown out of the game after the first call, only given five, and only received a 5 and game misconduct after the second one, and subsequently was not suspended. Those who were covering the game, both on TV and on Twitter were absolutely baffled at how this could have played out.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Re: 2012 West Regional: North Dakota vs Western Michigan; Minnesota vs Boston Univers

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
      So far the general media analysis for this region is:
      1) North Dakota is on fire;
      2) Minnesota won the tough WCHA and is looking to avenge their 3rd period meltdown;
      3) Western Michigan is also peaking at the right time / coming on strong to win the CCHA;
      and
      4) You never discount a program like Boston University.

I really don't like being the team where they have to say, "Not much to say, Bob, but you can never count them out!"
      If it makes you feel any better that was what they said about the Whioux before the WCHA tournament. In addition to the part about them being thugs and sucking.
      Bottom Line: If you deserve to win the national championship then don't worry about who you play, when, and where. Just keep winning.
      Exception: You are right about the refs. They, no doubt, have it in for <insert your team name here>!

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
        I heard the Gophs are going to scrimmage the State Champion Edina Bantam A team at Ridder on Friday night just to get the Friday night problems out of the way and prepare for a good game on Saturday with BU.
        Nice!

I just hope the Edina Bantams win Friday so the Gophers can play like they usually do on Saturdays.
        Originally posted by CavalryNate
        Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
        sigpic

Comment

The Hansen reputation is known far and wide. Probably somewhere on par with the Adam, Shepherd(s), Anderson, Thul reputation in the WCHA. I thought that Benedetto was one of the higher ranking officials in HE. Wrong?
          Depends how you define "higher ranking." He does a lot of big games (as does Bunyon, Gravellese, etc.) but that doesn't mean he is one of the "better" officials (if you get my meaning...)

Comment

Wonder what region will be "lucky" enough to get that bunch...
            Originally posted by CavalryNate
            Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
              He is, but he has his games where he'll call everything under the sun and blatantly ignore certain rules. For instance, in the QFs between Maine and Merrimack, he called 50 total penalties in one game, a new HE record. While it certainly was a physical game, about half of those calls were unnecessary. More unnerving, Joey Diamond was called TWICE for facemasking, which very clearly by rule is an automatic game DQ and one game suspension. He was not even thrown out of the game after the first call, only given five, and only received a 5 and game misconduct after the second one, and subsequently was not suspended. Those who were covering the game, both on TV and on Twitter were absolutely baffled at how this could have played out.
              More concerning would be the commissioner of the league doing absolutely nothing about it after the fact.

One of my favorite Hockey East gems was on display in the HE title game...only calling a crease violation when that team is on a PP.

Comment

I guess by higher ranking, I had heard that he was always one of the higher ranked officials in coaches polls. However, I know that some of the officials in the WCHA are higher ranked officials, but that doesn't mean they are well respected. That could have been the difference. I certainly don't want to knock officials in conferences I don't know well. I have heard about Gravellese and I know reports are that he has some solid games and some not so great ones (could probably be said about any official). I do not know Bunyon.

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                Depends how you define "higher ranking." He does a lot of big games (as does Bunyon, Gravellese, etc.) but that doesn't mean he is one of the "better" officials (if you get my meaning...)

Comment

Bunyon is easily my least favorite HE official.

Comment

Derek Shepherd and Marco Hunt are crew #1 in the WCHA so I am sure they will be somewhere. They aren't ridiculously bad especially since Shep has seemed to mellow out with age and shown some maturity. For the rest of the crews we would send......CRIPES.....have fun with those guys whatever regional you are in!

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                    Wonder what region will be "lucky" enough to get that bunch...

Comment

Well this thread went down the tubes quickly..

Is it Saturday yet?
                      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
                        I really don't like being the team where they have to say, "Not much to say, Bob, but you can never count them out!"
                        But deservedly so. BU's lack of depth due to the well-discussed "departures" has finally caught up with them. They are 8-8 since January 27. They are usually gassed by the end of the game (this happened against Maine in the Hockey East semi-final) and have been severely hampered by their inabiity to roll four lines consistently.

Comment

New England folks: BU has confirmed the game on Saturday will be broadcast live on HD on NESN

BU Alum '07

Comment

• Proper spelling is' BUnyon' for those non-hockey east fans.
                            Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            Bunyon is easily my least favorite HE official.
                            Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                              But deservedly so. BU's lack of depth due to the well-discussed "departures" has finally caught up with them. They are 8-8 since January 27. They are usually gassed by the end of the game (this happened against Maine in the Hockey East semi-final) and have been severely hampered by their inabiity to roll four lines consistently.
                              Sounds like the Sioux but they have more energy when it comes to the 3rd period. Been going with 17 skaters for some time now and it hasn't seemed to bother them one bit.
                              Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFanatic View Post
                                This is rich considering the Gophers are known for being big chokers as well. Your team is referred to as the Golden Chokers for a reason. But hey, at least this year if/when the Gophers choke it won't be so humiliating since BU is a respectable team.
                                Since, UND and DU destroyed college college you are going to need new material.
                                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X